Link: Alabama's Part-Time Pass Rushers are Ready for Full-Time Production

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

If asked who the most productive pass-rusher on a per-snap basis was last year, Ohio State’s Joey Bosa, Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett and Clemson’s Shaq Lawson would all be expected answers. However, as good as all three of them were, no edge defender in the nation was more productive as a pass-rusher than Alabama’s Tim Williams. He was utterly dominant on very limited snaps and, paired with fellow part-time pass-rusher Ryan Anderson, will play a huge role in getting Alabama back to the College Football Playoff as they aim to repeat as national champions.

The news out of Alabama’s spring game was that Williams has embraced his new every-down role, and flat out ruined the offenses day at Bryant-Denny Stadium. That’s great news for him, and for everyone who wanted to see more of him — but less so for opposing offensive tackles, quarterbacks and offensive coordinators.

We now have two full seasons of data on Williams, but the sample size is still so much smaller than most of the other top players in the nation. He registered a sack, a hit and 11 hurries in 2014, and while those numbers don’t exactly scream dominant pass rusher, he did that on just 48 pass rushing snaps. That means he got pressure once every 3.7 pass rushing attempts. To put that in context, Joey Bosa just went in the first five picks of the NFL draft, and he got pressure once every 4.9 pass rushing attempts.

Playing just 59 snaps total as a sophomore, more playing time was expected for Williams in 2015. While he did get more snaps, a loaded Alabama defense meant that he was still relegated to a part-time role. With 148 pass-rushing attempts, Williams notched 11 sacks, eight hits and 33 hurries.

52 total pressures on just 148 attempts.

A pressure once every 2.8 pass rushing attempts.

That’s incredible, and one of the key improvements in his game in 2015 was that he was able to finish better, with his 11 sacks tied for ninth among edge defenders in the nation, despite such a low snap count. The play below was a hit as opposed to a sack, forcing an intentional grounding penalty from Connor Cook, but make no mistake about it — we’re talking about one of, if not the best best pass rushers in all of college football heading into the 2016 season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Some of the stats are due to being a pass-rush situation substitute. When you're on the field for mostly pass situations and you can rush the passer, your success rate ought to be higher.

Of course, the way Tim Williams looked on A-Day...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I just don't see any drop off from this unit overall. Possibly they'll be better this year.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Overall it's absolutely the case. Think about how young and inexperienced the secondary was last year. They were still awesome and now they've got a year under their belt. I think they will compare to the "hateful bunch" from 2011. The problem is that the game has evolved so much even from 6 years ago that those stats defensively will be tough to match ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall it's absolutely the case. Think about how young and inexperienced the secondary was last year. They were still awesome and now they've got a year under their belt. I think they will compare to the "hateful bunch" from 2011. The problem is that the game has evolved so much even from 6 years ago that those stats defensively will be tough to match ever again.

Yeah, but Bama seems to have found something they can build on to stop it. Somehow, it didn't show up in places in the championship game.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

If the guys inside can hold up against the run, then the guys outside will have a field day. I think we could see some drop off in the middle as we just don't have the combination of power, speed and bulk we had last year with Robinson and Reed. Allen, Hand and Tomlinson are all good, just a different type of player.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Depends on the stats. The total YPG and PPG will probably be higher, but last season's defense had more sacks per game (3.5 to 2.3) and more interceptions (1.3 to 1.0). On the flip side, the 2011 defense held opponents 162.46 yards below their average while last season's defense held opponents 135.76 yards below their average.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.