Robert "General Boy" Mothersbaugh, Sr. passes away

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I never could get anywhere close to liking this band...I respect their creativeness, just not my cup of tea! I was born late into the good music, but at least my brother (who was five years older than me) was big into groups that were before his time! So I got to absorb all the great era of rock at a young age!!!

And I can relate to the idea of "how did these guys make big $ when our garage band sucked just as good!!" LOL

.....My dad was born in 32.....and I wasn't born until 13 years after your fathers passing Cuda..(yeah they say I'm a youngster, but after 40, you start to realize your mortality!) I hate you lost your Dad so early in life....I lost mine in 2006... My Mom a few years prior...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I had a good friend in high school that was a huge Devo fan. Loved 'em. Personally, I never could see it. To this day, I can't tell whether they were trying to be coy about some kind of subtle message, or whether they were just trying to be odd for odd's sake. Seriously, these guys were just horrible. Never saw the the appeal and still don't. But RIP anyway.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I had a good friend in high school that was a huge Devo fan. Loved 'em. Personally, I never could see it. To this day, I can't tell whether they were trying to be coy about some kind of subtle message, or whether they were just trying to be odd for odd's sake. Seriously, these guys were just horrible. Never saw the the appeal and still don't. But RIP anyway.
Who was the huge fan?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They were nerds. Simple as that.

Despite what Mark Mothersbaugh says, they did it for the girls. It was the only chance us nerds had.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
And I can relate to the idea of "how did these guys make big $ when our garage band sucked just as good!!" LOL
The last band I was in, we did a lot of the "deconstruction" of existing songs, that DEVO started out doing. (Like Secret Agent Man and Satisfaction.) Except we never had any vocals. (From the Frank Zappa school of thought..............."I hate writing lyrics, but you can't sell records without any.")

Our "act" consisted of "The Definitive Version of Louie, Louie" and "The Definitive Version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". Both without lyrics.

Both of which sounded the same.

If anyone wants to Google "Douglas St. Clair Smith", and his relationship to DEVO............well, I'll leave it at that. Other than maybe it will make sense why we were just as sucky.

We did make one public appearance. (Usually, we played at "closed" functions, for fellow nerdy losers and starving-artists-in-torment.) The Dallas Morning News actually gave us a review. It went something like...........................

"Imagine a crazed kindergarten rhythm section, playing Gregorian chants, in a parking lot of full of car radios, all tuned to a different out-of-town radio station, and turned up to full volume, then you have some idea what the outer limits of this performance approached."

No, we didn't get any babes. Seeing how I was the only one who was single.................yeah, figures!

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Speaking of Frank Zappa................

A buddy, who really is a musician, played in some crappy cover band, in Phoenix, back in the day. One day, The Z Man came through town, and discovered some act.

My buddy is still mad about it.

"We were, and still are, better than Alice Cooper. They sucked. I don't know why Zappa thought they were so good."

Yeah, he didn't get it, either.

No, he doesn't know I played in sucky DEVO-like bands. He wouldn't talk to me, if he knew I did!

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
At least your band got a review!!!! I played in several cover bands in bars paying ok money, after the fact of our teenage garage band "Distorted Youth" , but I never could get with a group that would latch on to the idea of playing originals and riding it out until we got a look, or bust.....

So I had to get a haircut, and get a real job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, to be fair.................

The DMN was there to cover the event we were attending. The fact we added an unnecessary distraction was a bonus. Or not.

I remember when Comic-Con (or whatever it is called) was only attending by a handful of pathetic losers, who wanted an excuse to go to San Diego. (Like the rest of the guys I played with.)

Now, Mrs. Cuda's grown-up sons make costumes to go the local version.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Judging by your avatar, I take it that you have actual musical talent.

More than any of us had............in any of the "bands" I was in.

At one time, I played the drums. I was told that I was "too good" (which is laughable, in and of itself), and to show up with a different instrument.

I bought a Moog synthesizer.

"Could you play it?"

No, but if Mark Mothersbaugh could play simple riffs, I could copy a few J. S. Bach notes, and pass it off as something I came up with.

No one ever figured it out.

Well, one guy did say................"Hey, play that Rollerball thing again."

Hey, if we were going to out-Iron Butterfly Iron Butterfly...........well, someone had to come up with something that fit the motif.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.