Link: Recruits dish on college football uniforms

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So how do we get all those good players with our ugly uniforms?

For that matter, since much of the SEC sports attire as vanilla as ours, how did we become the top football conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Despite our "boring" brand doesn't UA lead in collegiate gear sales almost yearly? Seems like I read that somewhere.
Alabama is very high but generally Texas beats them out (not hard to do with a state that large). The top teams are usually Texas, Alabama, Kentucky (sales aren't just for football apparel of course), Michigan, etc...

I've never been aware of Oregon, Baylor, TCU or Maryland being in the top ten in sales. It's one of those situations were the desperate cries for attention don't seem to appeal to many outside of young kids, and even then, look at the top recruiting rankings. At the end of the day they might want to dress like idiots but they're usually smart enough to figure out they'd rather be champions.

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Overreaction huh?....I guess in your opinion, people aren't allowed to have a strong opinion towards the team they love. Sorry....
The author reported (faithfully, as far as I can tell) the results of a survey he did not himself conduct. His mention of Alabama is neutral at worst; in fact, his editorial comment referred to older fans' possible "fawning" over the "classic" look of Penn State or Alabama. That makes someone biased and the purveyor of "swine filth"?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Considering the last 25 years of National Champions have been Alabama, Ohio State, FSU, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Texas, USC, Miami, OU, TN, Nebraska, and Michigan, I don't think the players that really matter are making their decisions based on uniforms - every one of those teams has 'classic' uniforms.

Oregon, Maryland, etc can continue to play Barbie, but it's not going to win an NC.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Trying to read the original report, and I can't find if the recruits' votes were anything more than just solely about the uniforms.

For instance, Saban has mentioned a few times how the players like a little uniform change but Alabama will never do an overhaul. For all we know, some of the current players would have voted the same way as these sophomores and juniors but realized there's more to college football than just the uniform.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Trying to read the original report, and I can't find if the recruits' votes were anything more than just solely about the uniforms.
Yeah, I mean it was an article linking to an article (heh, we know how confusing those can be), but just going over those results:
"Uniforms have a great impact on my perception of a team.” The recruits could answer 'Very True', 'Moderately True', 'Moderately False', 'Very False', or 'N/A'. Only 11 out of 100 prospects responded 'Very False', while 72 responded either 'Moderately True' or 'Very True'. Next we asked: “A school’s uniform will impact my college decision.” The results were: 'Very True' (7), 'Moderately True' (26), 'Moderately False' (24), and 'Very False' (31)"

I think that basically means 7 of those guys were idiots and you wouldn't want them on your team anyway, heh.

"Further, we asked which uniform manufacturers are preferred"
Nike tops the list at 9.5 out of 10.

"We then asked which uniform style recruits preferred: modern or classic. Of course, this question does not factor in the execution of the uniform design, but the results provide some insight into the minds of these prospects. The most popular answer also implied that the execution was critical, as “both could be cool” (47%). However, the surprising statistic was that 43% of respondents favored modern uniforms while only 5% preferred classic uniform"

"Finally, to see which teams actually appealed the most to these prospects, we asked each player to write in the team he thought had the best uniform and the team he thought had the worst uniform. Oregon had the overwhelming majority of votes for the best uniform—60 of 94 respondents voted for the Ducks (some players wrote in more than one team). There was a greater variety of responses for the team with the worst look. One player said, “worst uniforms I do not know, but baggy jerseys I do not like.” Alabama and Penn State, Nike schools, were the leading vote-getters for this question, which reinforces the recruits' preference towards modern, not classic, uniforms. Clearly, the unfavorable uniforms have not hurt the Crimson Tide brand, which is the strongest in college football. "

That last part is the biggest takeaway. When it comes down to it, the recruits perception of the uniforms is right up there with the most popular mascots in terms of things that don't matter. Just something to talk about in the off season. Also, I think Alabama is the most hated college football team right now because they keep winning, so I can't even blame the recruits for that and Penn State is hated for other, more valid reasons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.