4 ways to take down drones...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Re: 4 ways to take down illegal drones

I agree and I agree that the FAA's position that these things are airplanes is silly, but I'm just making sure that people know what they're getting into. In fact, I'm taking "illegal" out of the title, since almost none of them are...
Seems like the law isn't keeping up with technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

Just bury the thing real deep, cover it with a few inches of dirt and put a couple of dead chickens on top of that in case they want to see what's buried there.

If I happen to be practicing with my personnel restraint net and the thing flew into it, is it my fault or the operator of the drone? :biggrin2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Some guy posts pics from his drone on my community Facebook forum. Usually things like high school football and the like. Everyone gushes about how great the pictures are, but they strike me as just a little bit creepy for some reason.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

And you would be deep doo-doo. Cases similar to that have already come up...
Is shooting down the drone what got them in trouble or just firing a gun in general?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Some guy posts pics from his drone on my community Facebook forum. Usually things like high school football and the like. Everyone gushes about how great the pictures are, but they strike me as just a little bit creepy for some reason.

Probably because he has a bunch of pictures of young girls laying out by the pool or children playing on the playground as well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm not as informed as many here. So the drones referenced in the above article are really not "illegal"?
No, they are not illegal except in very limited cases such as flying too close to an airliner or flight path. That's the reason I took "illegal" out of the thread title. It gives completely the wrong idea...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

If some goofball has nothing better to do than watch some old fart puttering around in the yard growing veggies and such they can have at it. If I wasn't so busy wiping sweat out of my eyes I'd be bored to death myself....

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Here's the way I look at this whole scenario. First, I don't feel threatened enough by one of my neighbor's kid's toy drone to shoot it down. I live ''on the lake and in the woods'', and it's not illegal for me to shoot my weapons whenever I please. But my neighbors all know and respect me so I have no concerns along that line.

Now if you're doing something that gives your local (or state, fed's) leo's a reason to fly drones around your home, place of business, etc., then I wouldn't be trying to shoot them down if I were you. It just might tack on a few more years in jail after they finally catch up to you.

But if it is just neighborhood kids flying drones around your house, and you feel like it's invading your privacy, and you're not man enough to go talk to their parents about it, then I feel for you.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

No, they are not illegal except in very limited cases such as flying too close to an airliner or flight path. That's the reason I took "illegal" out of the thread title. It gives completely the wrong idea...
OK well in the video there's aircraft, airliners, airplanes, and airports in the background.

So maybe the video was indeed about how to take down illegal drones....as the title of the video suggested.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Here's the way I look at this whole scenario. First, I don't feel threatened enough by one of my neighbor's kid's toy drone to shoot it down. I live ''on the lake and in the woods'', and it's not illegal for me to shoot my weapons whenever I please. But my neighbors all know and respect me so I have no concerns along that line.

Now if you're doing something that gives your local (or state, fed's) leo's a reason to fly drones around your home, place of business, etc., then I wouldn't be trying to shoot them down if I were you. It just might tack on a few more years in jail after they finally catch up to you.

But if it is just neighborhood kids flying drones around your house, and you feel like it's invading your privacy, and you're not man enough to go talk to their parents about it, then I feel for you.
I doubt most are concerned with neighborhood kids, but rather creeps peeping on their wife or daughter. One of my friends had a run-in with an older neighbor who would constantly fly his drone over my friend's pool while his daughters were swimming or sunbathing. I get that laws haven't caught up with the tech yet, but one shouldn't have to worry about some pervert's drone hovering around his house filming his family.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I doubt most are concerned with neighborhood kids, but rather creeps peeping on their wife or daughter. One of my friends had a run-in with an older neighbor who would constantly fly his drone over my friend's pool while his daughters were swimming or sunbathing. I get that laws haven't caught up with the tech yet, but one shouldn't have to worry about some pervert's drone hovering around his house filming his family.

I would think in that case a call to the local police would be in order. Even if the drone wasn't illegal - the owner might think twice before doing it again if the police made a visit about it. Of course this would only work if the police cared about that situation...which they really should, considering they always go to properties when called about everything else that turns out to be nothing important.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

That would require a slightly different approach. Say, a personal discussion, which would include his chances for continuing health if that did not cease, now. If he continues, then a call to the local authorities for their intervention or action would be appropriate. But shooting down the drones as a first response is definitely not the way to go, imo.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

OK well in the video there's aircraft, airliners, airplanes, and airports in the background.

So maybe the video was indeed about how to take down illegal drones....as the title of the video suggested.
That could very well be. There have been a number of near misses already, where the airliner pilot had to take evasive action...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I would think in that case a call to the local police would be in order. Even if the drone wasn't illegal - the owner might think twice before doing it again if the police made a visit about it. Of course this would only work if the police cared about that situation...which they really should, considering they always go to properties when called about everything else that turns out to be nothing important.
That would require a slightly different approach. Say, a personal discussion, which would include his chances for continuing health if that did not cease, now. If he continues, then a call to the local authorities for their intervention or action would be appropriate. But shooting down the drones as a first response is definitely not the way to go, imo.
My friend handled it properly, first talking to the pervert, then when it continued, the Sheriff. They told the pervert he was freaking people out, he said it was harmless fun. And it's perfectly legal.

My friend wasn't about to get arrested and sued for physically attacking the man for continuing to do this, but his daughters were freaked / grossed out enough they didn't even like going out into his own backyard anymore. He didn't shoot it down, but he ended up taking care of the issue...

My point is that sometimes being 'man enough' to confront the person flying the drone isn't enough - the laws HAVE to change.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I saw one YouTube where a kid was using his drone to mess with a golf game, moving the balls on the green. One of the golfers, a geezer, absolutely destroyed it with a golf club. I think that does move into the realm of "illegal drones," being used for an illegal purpose. Some people, particularly elderly golfers, take their golf games seriously. I hope all understand that I'm not backing the FAA position at all. I'm just the messenger. However, Congress has delegated the power to them to determine what is an "airplane," so it would take Congressional action (good luck with that) to reverse it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.