Hiker missing for two years, survived for a month - her journal shows

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
That's one of the mysteries about this to me. She was carrying a light pack, according to her buddy, probably relying on the frequent hubby resupply. Given that, I don't know how she survived almost a month. Also, when you look at her rep for confusion and frequently getting lost, it almost sounds like mild dementia, certainly not someone who should be thru-hiking...
It was on her 'bucket list', which can have it's own implications.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm sure she never expected to get lost - but even if she had some flares to send up.

Guess you could make a whole list of things that would have probably saved her but ultimately humans are human and they make mistakes...often with dire circumstances.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
People usually resupply every 2-5 days on an AT thru-hike. Aside from the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine, you're rarely more than a few days between towns. They often hitch rides into towns to hit a grocery store.
when i was in the scouts, we would do a 60 ish mile section of the a.t. every summer. we would park a locked trailer with our re-supply in it about halfway.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's one of the mysteries about this to me. She was carrying a light pack, according to her buddy, probably relying on the frequent hubby resupply. Given that, I don't know how she survived almost a month. Also, when you look at her rep for confusion and frequently getting lost, it almost sounds like mild dementia, certainly not someone who should be thru-hiking...
yeah, there seemed to be a lack of self-awareness. also, knowing her lack of directional skills, you would think the buddy and the husband would think twice, or at least be extra careful, when doing something like this

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.