300 Muslims burn down Christian houses, strip them and publicly humiliate them

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Radical Southern Baptists. Instead of bringing you food and a Bible, they tie you up and witness to you in your home for hours until you accept their way...and then feed you.
I was raised in that environment and know all about it. I made an attempt to join one of their mega-churches a few years ago and those people were relentless. My biggest issue was they would form a posse and come to my house at 7 p.m. on a weeknight, unannounced and want to stay until 10 PM hammering me about my faith. Sheesh! I finally had to tell them to knock it off.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I was raised in that environment and know all about it. I made an attempt to join one of their mega-churches a few years ago and those people were relentless. My biggest issue was they would form a posse and come to my house at 7 p.m. on a weeknight, unannounced and want to stay until 10 PM hammering me about my faith. Sheesh! I finally had to tell them to knock it off.
That happened to us shortly after we moved to Houston. The good people at 1st Baptist Houston, came knocking on our apt door one Sunday afternoon while the Mrs. and I were in a heated "discussion." Needless to say, I told them they needed to call before showing up and then slammed the door. I hate unannounced "visitors." I'm sure they "prayed" for me.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
That happened to us shortly after we moved to Houston. The good people at 1st Baptist Houston, came knocking on our apt door one Sunday afternoon while the Mrs. and I were in a heated "discussion." Needless to say, I told them they needed to call before showing up and then slammed the door. I hate unannounced "visitors." I'm sure they "prayed" for me.
I think back in the 1800's, when a community formed, a church was one of the first social outlets that came about. Newcomers to the community were not only encouraged but expected to join the church, otherwise be an outcast. It's changed a lot but some of that has carried over especially in smaller towns. I've been on the fence most of my adult life but probably more of an outcast. I'm comfortable either way. It's interesting to go see the community where my father's ancestors settled in NE Miss. The church there has a large cemetery with scores of ValuJets and related families dating back to the early 1800's.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

That's crazy! I never knew that much about Southern Baptists until we moved to a very small town in Florida in 1970. The local Baptist church was just down the street and had a huge local following. Even as a naive 15 year old, I remember thinking this was very cult-like!

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I look to the right in each religion (the "religion" of atheism included) and I see crazy. I look to the left and see just as crazy. If crazy is thought of as thinking as a certain degree away from mainstream thought, then are those of us who believe in live and let live and don't want to force others to live and think the way we do, actually the ones who are crazy? Afterall, we are the minority. My head hurts now. Could it be schizophrenia or maybe all these crazy thoughts of personal freedom? I guess I need to decide whether I should have the babtists miracle me, the atheists reprogram me, or the muslims send me to paradise.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I was raised around it so it's a baseline that guides me. Granted, I've been a fence straddler more often than not, but it is just some sin in the name of youthful indiscretion. ;). I don't wear a crown on my head and don't take liberties in preaching to others. That said I also know that generally speaking churches are vital to a community in keeping a moral fabric and they serve communities in ways we often don't hear about.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
That's crazy! I never knew that much about Southern Baptists until we moved to a very small town in Florida in 1970. The local Baptist church was just down the street and had a huge local following. Even as a naive 15 year old, I remember thinking this was very cult-like!
I was raised Presbyterian and married Baptist. I always chuckle when watching "A River Runs Through It" when Norman makes the comment "The Burns family run a general store in a one store town and still managed to do badly. They were Methodists, a denomination my father referred to as Baptists who could read." Of course Rev. Maclean was Presbyterian. ;)

My wife doesn't find it as funny for some reason.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I look to the right in each religion (the "religion" of atheism included) and I see crazy. I look to the left and see just as crazy. If crazy is thought of as thinking as a certain degree away from mainstream thought, then are those of us who believe in live and let live and don't want to force others to live and think the way we do, actually the ones who are crazy? Afterall, we are the minority. My head hurts now. Could it be schizophrenia or maybe all these crazy thoughts of personal freedom? I guess I need to decide whether I should have the babtists miracle me, the atheists reprogram me, or the muslims send me to paradise.
fwiw I have no idea why you would think any atheist would want to reprogram you

nor do I get the Atheism is a religion thing. you are an atheist too, in fact all of us are to the around 6,000 different gods that man has invented over the last few thousand years. People like me just don't believe in 1 more than you

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
fwiw I have no idea why you would think any atheist would want to reprogram you

nor do I get the Atheism is a religion thing. you are an atheist too, in fact all of us are to the around 6,000 different gods that man has invented over the last few thousand years. People like me just don't believe in 1 more than you
My god is bigger and better than yours.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
can't we all just agree that all religions are nuts and be done with it?
Basically everybody is crazy, I guess.

But the degree of nuttiness is distinctly different. Sure, you can dig and find crazies in every group, but only the most 'enlightened' would act like they're equal in scale.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Basically everybody is crazy, I guess.

But the degree of nuttiness is distinctly different. Sure, you can dig and find crazies in every group, but only the most 'enlightened' would act like they're equal in scale.
its all about perspective

from my perspective anyone over the age of 10 that believes in anything supernatural is nuts. I don't care if it's Vishnu, Santa or Jesus we have the same amount of evidence for the supernatural existence of all of them, none. So to me belief without evidence is the very definition of crazy

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.