UGA Atheletic Director apologizes to board for Ludacris concert deal

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
So glad this didn't happen at our school, regardless of how involved the athletic director was in approving the contract.

I wish Coach Smart all the luck in the world.....but just not sure about his boss.....:conf2:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Wonder if he used a few coeds to deliver the condoms?
Was this included as part of the contract? Not to have coeds deliver them, but to require this in addition to the $$,$$$. Let's see, 15 minutes for the show and 5 minutes for additional considerations?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
This is exactly the kinda outside clutter a 1st year HC & the 1st HC'ing stint of his college HC'ing career doesn't need or want..I wish Coach Smart a great career coming 2nd to "The Process" each year in the SEC.. I hope he uses this as a learning lesson as to having the final say as to what goes on in his football program no matter how big or small the situation pertains within in football program..

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Wonder why they didn't get Pastor Troy though? Him and Bubba Sparxx are probably the biggest UGA fans in Hip Hop

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Just sitting here wondering why someone pays an AD big bucks to NOT DO HIS JOB. I would fire him on that alone. Signing a contract without really reading it? Hmmm. It reminds me of the winner of the Mayor of Albertville election a few years back. After he had won it was discovered he was not legal to run because his entry application was a day late. We had to have a special election. How much money did that cost? The person who DID NOT DO THEIR JOB in qualification area should have been fired, but instead we got an "oops." and business as usual -- just like the University of Georgia.

Would you trust this man to do business for you? Someone on the payroll not doing their job is why we had Penn State, FSU and Baylor scandals.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wow. For some reason, UGA has a problem with ADs exercising jaw-droppingly bad judgment.

McGarity's predecessor was Damon Evans who, days after signing a multi-million-dollar contract, was busted for DUI, in a car with a woman who was not his wife, and who was missing a key piece of underwear.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Was this included as part of the contract? Not to have coeds deliver them, but to require this in addition to the $$,$$$. Let's see, 15 minutes for the show and 5 minutes for additional considerations?
Yes, as has been mentioned riders like that are common.

Meh. I don't see a big deal. Acts have some pretty crazy riders in their contracts.
I do not see the problem with paying Ludacris. I do see why a public university probably shouldn't actually supply liquor and condoms to a performer who is coming on campus. That's not a good look for them. They renegotiate that part of the rider and it's a non-issue.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I do see why a public university probably shouldn't actually supply liquor and condoms to a performer who is coming on campus. That's not a good look for them. They renegotiate that part of the rider and it's a non-issue.
I agree. I'd have just said the booze and condoms would be an image problem for the school and ask if he'd take an extra $5,000 instead and have his people go to the liquor store for him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I did not know he is washed up. I guess if a rapper has become mainstream enough to where I have heard of him, he is no longer hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yes, as has been mentioned riders like that are common.

I do not see the problem with paying Ludacris. I do see why a public university probably shouldn't actually supply liquor and condoms to a performer who is coming on campus. That's not a good look for them. They renegotiate that part of the rider and it's a non-issue.

Agreed, I have no problem with that being a part of a private contract on the open market. But for a public university who receives taxpayer funds? Uh, stupid move and very well should have come with some form of discipline. It gives the impression that the condoms and alcohol were for him to use after the concert as he walked around campus taking his "pick of the litter". Pun intended. If I'm Kirby Smart I'm not happy.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Agreed, I have no problem with that being a part of a private contract on the open market. But for a public university who receives taxpayer funds? Uh, stupid move and very well should have come with some form of discipline. It gives the impression that the condoms and alcohol were for him to use after the concert as he walked around campus taking his "pick of the litter". Pun intended. If I'm Kirby Smart I'm not happy.
Ha! Pick of the litter...good one

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I agree. I'd have just said the booze and condoms would be an image problem for the school and ask if he'd take an extra $5,000 instead and have his people go to the liquor store for him.

Awfully generous with the taxpayer's $$$$, how about tell him to to supply his own damn booze and condoms?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Awfully generous with the taxpayer's $$$$, how about tell him to to supply his own damn booze and condoms?
How do you guys know it was tax payer funds? Everyone here is quick to point out our athletic department is self sufficient and no tax payer funds are used when Saban's salary comes up. I'm sure this is the same.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
How do you guys know it was tax payer funds? Everyone here is quick to point out our athletic department is self sufficient and no tax payer funds are used when Saban's salary comes up. I'm sure this is the same.

Coach Saban would still be a good investment even if it were taxpayer money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.