GA News: OnlineAthens - Another first for UGA’s Kirby Smart as SEC spring meetings begin Tuesd

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
May 28th, 2016 08:44 PM

The SEC spring meetings in Destin, Fla., last year marked the final one that Mike Slive presided over as league commissioner before retiring. Mark Richt and Steve Spurrier offered a toast to him at a reception.
It turned out neither football coach made it through last season. Spurrier retired abruptly in October at South Carolina and Richt was fired at the end of November.
His replacement, Kirby Smart, will be on the scene for the first time as Georgia coach for the meetings that run Tuesday through Friday at the Sandestin Beach Hilton.
“I’m going to be a big part of the observing and opinions but not necessarily the agenda,” Smart said.
Smart took part in a conference call with football coaches prior to spring practices, but this will be the first time he’s met with them all in person. He said he wasn’t sure what the hot button issues will be.
“There’s a lot of things going on in college football,” he said. “A lot of movements, a lot of moving parts so we’ll see when we get down there.”
The league’s presidents and chancellors, athletic directors, football and basketball coaches and other administrators attend the meetings.
“I’m not expecting any news really of any kind,” Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity said.
The SEC will consider expanding the scope of its transfer ban for serious misconduct that was passed last year to now include not only those dismissed from previous schools but also criminal activity for things such as sexual assault, domestic violence or stalking.
Here are some other topics of discussion heading into the week:
--The state of SEC men’s basketball. After landing just three teams in the NCAA tournament last season, the conference hired Mike Tranghese, the former Big East commissioner, as a special advisor. He will talk to athletic directors and coaches about nonconference scheduling guidelines and marketing programs.
He previously met with the athletic directors in Jacksonville.
“We have some fundamental issues that need to be addressed that I know a lot more about now that I’ve been in the league for a year or so,” said Avery Johnson, Alabama’s coach. “We have a lot to do on all levels but if you look at how our teams are improving, getting more talent, I think we’ll be in great shape.”
Commissioner Greg Sankey has said men’s basketball isn’t meeting the league’s expectations.
“As a conference, we seek continuing improvement in the national competitive success of our men’s basketball programs,” he said.
--Satellite camps
The SEC wanted them outlawed but now is reluctantly joining the summer circus, at least this year.
Nobody in the SEC wants to go at the breakneck pace of Michigan .
“Every high school that’s got a prospect is going to have a satellite camp and every coach in the country is going to be expected to be there,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “I still believe it’s most beneficial to have people come to your campus, not for recruiting purposes but our camp is not a tryout camp. It is actually a three-day camp where we try to enhance the development of football players so they can improve and play better of their team and they get exposed to the way we do things at the University of Alabama so that might have some benefit in the future.”
--Student-athlete time demands
Discussion will center on a recent NCAA survey of athletes. McGarity said there needs to be a “happy medium,” for athletes who want more time away from their sport without sacrificing an ability to improve on the field or court.
“I think we have to be cautious in coming up with plans that will work for student-athletes that are in different sports,” Georgia president Jere Morehead said. “The time demands and the ways to address those demands are going to vary from sport to sport. In some sports, significant time off may adversely affects their abilities to compete in the Olympics for example.”
The Pac-12 is already pushing for an end to spring break trips for teams after Michigan practiced at the IMG Academy this year.
No proposals are expected from the SEC on an issue that could see action at the next NCAA convention in January.
The league plans to establish a student-athlete leadership council for football, men’s and women’s basketball and one for other sports. In addition, five athletes will attend the meetings in a non-voting role, league spokesman Herb Vincent said.
--NCAA trouble
Ole Miss said Friday that “serious” NCAA violations happened under football coach Hugh Freeze and former coach Houston Nutt and more still could be coming after the Laremy Tunsil text message incident on NFL draft night. Morehead chairs a task force on rules compliance.
What won't be announced is the SEC's revenue distribution amounts for each school. That usually comes on Friday as the meetings conclude but it will be publically released in October after the SEC executive committee’s approval.
Information provided to Georgia’s athletic board Thursday said the SEC’s projected distribution will be $36.7 million, an increase it said was $2.19 million from last year due to football TV revenue and growth of the SEC Network. Changing ways people view programming could impact that in future years.
Other matters of business this week include the SEC rewarding a baseball tournament site for next year and beyond. The event has been held in Hoover, Ala. the last 19 years. Jacksonville, Memphis and Nashville have bid, according to the Florida Times-Union.
SEC coordinator of football officials Steve Shaw will update the media on Thursday on the SEC’s collaborative process for instant replay after he provides details to football coaches. Replay officials in stadiums will be assisted by personnel in the SEC headquarters in Birmingham.
That’s just one of the issues football coaches will bandy about.
“There’s a lot of things that I’m sure we’ll talk about,” Saban said. “I’m kind of looking forward to what everybody else has to say about it.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.