2016 NCAA Baseball Regionals-Super Regionals

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm using this thread to update the CWS as well. Only spot for the SEC is if Florida wins today (Monday). Lots of fresh faces in this year.

My underdog I'm rooting for has to be the UC-Santa Barbara Gauchos!:eek:

If you don't know what a Gaucho is, Gaucho's are cowboys that were mainly in Brazil and Argentina back in the 18th and 19th centuries. I know about them because my favorite steakhouse is Fogo de Chao which my best friend out in Denver got me hooked on and I've ate at the one in Denver about 8 times and now once over in Atlanta in Buckhead which is the closest one to me being in Central Bama. Took my nephew to it and he was hooked too. Gauchos would run something through the meat around a fire in a shape like a teepee and they would rotate the meat and what not with the sticks until done. These days I assume it's a stainless steel rod maybe? I don't know for sure there, but it's the BEST way to cook a steak. Don't believe me? Go to Fogo de Chao and try it out. But enough on that, I'm sure y'all don't care to read about it.

I can't forget the "other" candidate, Coastal Carolina. The more I see them the more I love their coaching staff by the way. Seems like the head coach doesn't even bother with his pitching as he lets the pitching coach handle everything which I love.

His stats:

• Finished among the NCAA top 40 in ERA seven times including three top 10 finishes (10th in 2009, 8th in 2010 and 3rd in 2012). CCU ranked among the NCAA top 15 in fewest hits allowed per nine innings four times (12th in 2009 and 2011, 7th in 2010 and 8th in 2012)

• Led the Big South in ERA five times (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), strikeouts four times (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013) and saves four times (2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)

• Coastal's team ERA of 2.65 and 26 saves in 2012 are both Big South single-season records.

• Produced 14 Major League Baseball draft picks, including fifth-rounder Pete Andrelczyk, fifth-rounder Cody Wheeler, second-rounder Anthony Meo and fourth-rounder Josh Conway.

• Produced six All-Americans (Bobby Gagg in 2007, Cody Wheeler in 2009 and `10, Nick McCully in 2009, Anthony Meo in 2010, Matt Rein in 2011 and Aaron Burke in 2012) and two Freshmen All-Americans (Seth Lamondo in 2013 and Bobby Holmes in 2015).

• Produced the Big South Pitcher of the Year five times (Bobby Gagg in 2007, Cody Wheeler in 2009, Anthony Meo in 2010, Matt Rein in 2011 and Aaron Burk), two Big South Freshmen of the Year (Seth Lamando in 2013 and Bobby Holmes in 2015) and a total of 25 All-Big South selections, including 15 first team picks.

------------------------------------
I know we are discussing this in another thread but I figured I would talk about it because I was jabbering about the underdogs in the CWS.

The Head Coach for CC:

26 Seasons as a Head Coach: 1,045-522-2
20 Seasons at CCU: 792-420-0 (310-131 Big South)

Coastal Carolina head coach Gary Gilmore, who is entering his 21st season at his alma mater, has seen the Coastal program continually rise in the world of college baseball to a national power and the 27th-year head coach ranks among the NCAA's all-time top 50 in wins with 1,045. Under his guidance Coastal has made 13 NCAA berths, twice advancing to a Super Regional, featured numerous draft picks - including 14 players drafted within the top 10 rounds over the last eight years, and built perhaps the best overall practice and playing facilities in the nation.

And it goes further than that so that is what I listed. They went into Alex Box Stadium and pretty much dominated them from the start. Crazy crazy weekend.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
And pay attention to the times and channels. The first day will all be on ESPN2. The 2nd day is where it gets mixed up. The 2pm game that day moves to ESPNU because of soccer that day I think, but moves back to ESPN2 for the 7pm game.

Like I say I might have the games mixed up, but not the dates and times.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Weird tourney... the year of the Big 12 I guess. Really hard to believe the SEC might not even show up to the CWS.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Weird tourney... the year of the Big 12 I guess. Really hard to believe the SEC might not even show up to the CWS.
Uncanny how this SEC baseball season/post-season has proven a crucible redux for getting rid of Gasper - just like Grant's firing was also predicated on his team not being competitive a'tall in what was a down year for SEC hoops. Overwhelmingly justifiable action was taken to remove both of them, even if in Gasper's case it was passive action through his "resignation."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Miami vs TCU is my pick but I would like to see CCU vs the Gauchos. I can see CCU making it but Omaha isn't kind to the Stoney Brook type teams.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Fogo is awesome! Only problem I have is I eat about 10 pounds of steak! The one here in Dallas (Addison) must have about 10 different cuts of steak not to mention the chicken/sausage and I have to try it all. That smoked bacon is awesome too. I always slip a couple of pieces out of there for my dogs. (Wife is always mortified..):biggrin2: Probably only 2 places in DFW I like better are Capital Grill and Lawry's.

I'm using this thread to update the CWS as well. Only spot for the SEC is if Florida wins today (Monday). Lots of fresh faces in this year.

If you don't know what a Gaucho is, Gaucho's are cowboys that were mainly in Brazil and Argentina back in the 18th and 19th centuries. I know about them because my favorite steakhouse is Fogo de Chao which my best friend out in Denver got me hooked on and I've ate at the one in Denver about 8 times and now once over in Atlanta in Buckhead which is the closest one to me being in Central Bama. Took my nephew to it and he was hooked too. Gauchos would run something through the meat around a fire in a shape like a teepee and they would rotate the meat and what not with the sticks until done. These days I assume it's a stainless steel rod maybe? I don't know for sure there, but it's the BEST way to cook a steak. Don't believe me? Go to Fogo de Chao and try it out. But enough on that, I'm sure y'all don't care to read about it.

[/B]

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA

I can't forget the "other" candidate, Coastal Carolina. The more I see them the more I love their coaching staff by the way. Seems like the head coach doesn't even bother with his pitching as he lets the pitching coach handle everything which I love.

His stats:

• Finished among the NCAA top 40 in ERA seven times including three top 10 finishes (10th in 2009, 8th in 2010 and 3rd in 2012). CCU ranked among the NCAA top 15 in fewest hits allowed per nine innings four times (12th in 2009 and 2011, 7th in 2010 and 8th in 2012)

• Led the Big South in ERA five times (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), strikeouts four times (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013) and saves four times (2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)

• Coastal's team ERA of 2.65 and 26 saves in 2012 are both Big South single-season records.

• Produced 14 Major League Baseball draft picks, including fifth-rounder Pete Andrelczyk, fifth-rounder Cody Wheeler, second-rounder Anthony Meo and fourth-rounder Josh Conway.

• Produced six All-Americans (Bobby Gagg in 2007, Cody Wheeler in 2009 and `10, Nick McCully in 2009, Anthony Meo in 2010, Matt Rein in 2011 and Aaron Burke in 2012) and two Freshmen All-Americans (Seth Lamondo in 2013 and Bobby Holmes in 2015).

• Produced the Big South Pitcher of the Year five times (Bobby Gagg in 2007, Cody Wheeler in 2009, Anthony Meo in 2010, Matt Rein in 2011 and Aaron Burk), two Big South Freshmen of the Year (Seth Lamando in 2013 and Bobby Holmes in 2015) and a total of 25 All-Big South selections, including 15 first team picks.

------------------------------------
I know we are discussing this in another thread but I figured I would talk about it because I was jabbering about the underdogs in the CWS.

The Head Coach for CC:

26 Seasons as a Head Coach: 1,045-522-2
20 Seasons at CCU: 792-420-0 (310-131 Big South)

Coastal Carolina head coach Gary Gilmore, who is entering his 21st season at his alma mater, has seen the Coastal program continually rise in the world of college baseball to a national power and the 27th-year head coach ranks among the NCAA's all-time top 50 in wins with 1,045. Under his guidance Coastal has made 13 NCAA berths, twice advancing to a Super Regional, featured numerous draft picks - including 14 players drafted within the top 10 rounds over the last eight years, and built perhaps the best overall practice and playing facilities in the nation.

And it goes further than that so that is what I listed. They went into Alex Box Stadium and pretty much dominated them from the start. Crazy crazy weekend.

Well, looks like I have a new place to try now!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Well, looks like I have a new place to try now!

Oh heck yea CK, I would highly recommend that place. It is pricy (Atlanta was like $47.50 I think plus drink) but when you turn you food card over to green (means you want the cuts of meat) you get a waiter coming by about every 3 minutes with a different cut. Lunch is about $25 but you don't get the lamb or their top cut of steak. Here are the cuts they serve:

Top Sirloin (Picanha which is their top cut I think, they say it's the prime part of the sirloin)
Filet Mignon (wrapped in bacon)
Rib Eye
Top Sirloin (Alcatra which is still top sirloin but not the "best" part)
Bottom Sirloin
Beef Ribs
Leg of Lamb
Lamb Chops
Chicken
Pork Loin
Sausage (I think it's wrapped in bacon too, or maybe it was the pork loin?)

Then of course you get their salad bar which I always skip:biggrin: They also serve some cheese bread that is unreal too. So definitely check it out, if you are a steak guy it should be on your "must try" list. Some people find it weird because the servers come so much to ask you if you want that certain cut and you just say yes or no and they will give you a slice of that certain cut. You can eat until you literally pop:wink:

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well now my mouth is watering, more like flooding! Looks like me and the wife might have to head up to Atlanta for a date night! What is a 4 hour drive for something that is life altering?!!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Tip of the hat to FSU for taking us to 3 games.

Thanks 230kv_barehand for updating the thread.

Hopefully the Gators will represent the SEC in the CWS.

I was a little worried there after Saturday's loss!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Well now my mouth is watering, more like flooding! Looks like me and the wife might have to head up to Atlanta for a date night! What is a 4 hour drive for something that is life altering?!!
CK where you at? Here are their locations: http://fogodechao.com/locations

Tip of the hat to FSU for taking us to 3 games.

Thanks 230kv_barehand for updating the thread.

Hopefully the Gators will represent the SEC in the CWS.

I was a little worried there after Saturday's loss!
No problem. I still think UF is going to be hard to beat with their pitching. Even though CC is a good hitting team I'll take that pitching any day!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Anybody been watching? The Gauchos are about to (hopefully) eliminate Miami. Last night Coastal played a great game against Florida

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Miami is the first team eliminated (not a surprise these days)
Back in the day when we made it to Omaha, it seemed we always drew Miami and they were always beating us. We finally got past them twice in '97 only to lose the championship to LSU because Roberto Vaz broke his foot when, if i remember correctly, he stepped on a ball during batting practice. The 'Canes beat us twice in '99, our last CWS trip.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Those days he had loaded Miami teams though and seemed to have their own house there.....lol. These days they can easily make it to Omaha and then can't win anything. Hopefully CGG has us eliminating Miami in a year or two in Omaha.

Yea when we lost Vaz we were toast. Speaking of him I bought an autographed card of his off eBay. Keeping my dreams together! Haha. I was a Junior in high school then, pitched and played 1st, so I know all about the gorilla ball days. Dreaded it as a pitcher because a ball could be on you before you could move.

We had what that year edwd58? 3 or 4 with 20+ HR's? It was nuts! And it's not like The Joe is a bangers park either. I have to say we had one of the scariest lineups in college history from 1-9 and then add in the pitchers. If we played anyone other than LSU, we win the title that year. They were just so much more established there than us and kind of knew what to expect. We were deer in the headlights.

Got a feeling we'll have more fun talking about the "current" events once CGG gets in a few classes than old school stuff. There is nothing wrong with making regionals and winning some games and maybe even some super regionals. Nothing more fun than waiting until 8am to buy a book of Regional Tickets or Super Regional. Plus we have to get rid of the jinx from the last Super we hosted. I still say that game (Bama/UNC) was the craziest game (Game 2) I've ever seen, and was the greatest of all time (our homer in the 8th) and then the most gutwrenching game (UNC homer in bottom of the 9th).

Just think, out of all the 4 starting pitchers from that Super Regional in Tuscaloosa this is what happened to them after:

Game 1
UNC-Andrew Miller went to the Tigers in the 1st round and was the 6th pick
Bama-Wade LeBlanc went to the Padres in the 2nd round

Game 2
UNC-Daniel Bard went to the Red Sox in the 1st round and was the 28th pick
Bama-Tommy Hunter went to the Rangers in the 1st round and was the 54th pick

Just think of all that talent on the field that weekend too!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Seems like from the regionals thru the CWS, opposing pitchers have thrown the games of their life, or at least season, against the SEC teams. Too bad we don't have more to show for such a dominating regular season by the conference.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.