Has the Kicking Game become less important?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
SIAP, but since CNS thinks it's acceptable for a drive to always end with a kick, I think he thinks it's pretty important.
I totally agree. Of course Coach Saban wants few 3 and outs but he'd rather punt the ball than turn it over trying to make a first down.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If the kicking game was not important we would not have had so many disgruntled fans complaining about JK last year when he was slumping.
OMG. HERE WE GO AGAIN. DID NOT SAY IT WAS NOT IMPORTANT.

1 My team scored 8 TDs and I punted three times for a 42 yd avg. Final score 56 to 48. 124 yards punting.

2 My team scored 2 TDs and I punted seven times for a 42 yd avg. Final score 14 to 7. 294 yards punting.

In which game was the kicking the most important, or does the score matter? I would argue that the game I punted seven times was more important that the game I punted three times.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
OMG. HERE WE GO AGAIN. DID NOT SAY IT WAS NOT IMPORTANT.

1 My team scored 8 TDs and I punted three times for a 42 yd avg. Final score 56 to 48. 124 yards punting.

2 My team scored 2 TDs and I punted seven times for a 42 yd avg. Final score 14 to 7. 294 yards punting.

In which game was the kicking the most important, or does the score matter? I would argue that the game I punted seven times was more important that the game I punted three times.
Well I admit I didn't catch the gist of the thread. I would argue however that in the games you describe the relative importance of the kicking game is about the same. It could be less important to have a high average these days, but I still think consistency in the kicking game is important - inconsistency is magnified in close games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

In the first game, the kicker and kick returner and kick return defense are very important. Look at all of the PATs, kick-offs and kick-off returns involved. So many chances for mistakes or great plays.

In the second game the punter, punt returner and punt coverage team play would all be critical.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
In the first game, the kicker and kick returner and kick return defense are very important. Look at all of the PATs, kick-offs and kick-off returns involved. So many chances for mistakes or great plays.

In the second game the punter, punt returner and punt coverage team play would all be critical.
This is what I was wanting to discuss, is the kicking game more or less important in a high scoring game as opposed to the old style play. For example, one TD is very, very valuable to Missouri because they averaged 13.6 points per game. One TD is 1/2 their score. One TD is not so valuable to Baylor because they averaged 48.1 points per game. One TD is 1/7 their score.

Back to kicking. I see your point, the higher the score the more kickoffs and kickoff returns there will be, therefore the more chances to mess up. But wouldn't that be true of every phase? The more I run the ball the more chances of a fumble. This is not so easy to figure out, is it, which is why I was wanting the discussion. The more PATs, the less punts and FGs. Hmmmm.

If I could find the special teams rankings for a the top four football teams in, say 1962, and compare them to 2015, that would answer my question.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is what I was wanting to discuss, is the kicking game more or less important in a high scoring game as opposed to the old style play. For example, one TD is very, very valuable to Missouri because they averaged 13.6 points per game. One TD is 1/2 their score. One TD is not so valuable to Baylor because they averaged 48.1 points per game. One TD is 1/7 their score.

Back to kicking. I see your point, the higher the score the more kickoffs and kickoff returns there will be, therefore the more chances to mess up. But wouldn't that be true of every phase? The more I run the ball the more chances of a fumble. This is not so easy to figure out, is it, which is why I was wanting the discussion. The more PATs, the less punts and FGs. Hmmmm.

If I could find the special teams rankings for a the top four football teams in, say 1962, and compare them to 2015, that would answer my question.
That's what you wanted to discuss? Could have saved us all some time if you explained it better than just asking the question and throwing out some random special team rankings.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I can't even imagine how many games Florida State lost due to field goals not being made. Seemed like every time I watched them and Miami it came down a field goal.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

It's always gonna be just as important simply because it's always gonna be 1/3 of the game, past, present and yes, the future too.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That's what you wanted to discuss? Could have saved us all some time if you explained it better than just asking the question and throwing out some random special team rankings.
Yes, hindsight agrees with you. I knew what "has the kicking game become less important" meant to me but I was way off in making it clear to others in the title. I will try to learn from this experience.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.