Was shooting a rare gorilla the only option for Cincinnati Zoo?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Shortly after zookeepers shot and killed a rare gorilla to save a boy who had entered its enclosure, many are questioning whether death was the only option.In a statement released Sunday, Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden expressed remorse over the shooting of Harambe, a 17-year-old western lowlands gorilla who was killed Saturday after toying with a four-year-old child.
"We are heartbroken about losing Harambe, but a child's life was in danger and a quick decision had to be made," zoo director Thane Maynard said in a statement.
Western lowland gorillas are critically endangered in the wild, numbering fewer than 175,000, according to the zoo. An additional 765 gorillas dwell in zoos worldwide.
Neither the boy nor his family have been identified. The family had been visiting the zoo on Saturday when the boy slipped away from his parents and entered the enclosure.
In the storm of criticism in the aftermath of the shooting, some blamed the boy's mother for failing to look after her son. Others said the zoo was too quick to take the decision to shoot Harambe.
Ian Redmond, Chairman of The Gorilla Organization, said keepers had other options besides a fatal shot.
"When gorilla or other apes have things they shouldn't have, keepers will negotiate with them, bring food, their favorite treats, pineapple or some kind of fruit that they don't know and negotiate with them," he told CNN.
"I don't know if that was tried or people thought there was too much danger but it does seem very unfortunate that a lethal shot was required," he said.

LINK

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I would have to defer to the experts onsite observing the gorilla's behavior at the moment for that call. If there is any doubt about the child's safety they have to take the gorilla out. But, it's always easy to second guess after the fact, when the child's life is not in your (not you, OP) hands.

The fact that the gorilla is "rare" would not figure into it, in my opinion.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If anyone is interested:
We the undersigned believe that the child would not have been able to enter the enclosure under proper parental supervision. Witnesses claim that they heard the child state that he wished to go into the enclosure and was actively trying to breach the barriers. This should have prompted the parents to immediately remove the child from the vicinity. It is believed that the situation was caused by parental negligence and the zoo is not responsible for the child's injuries and possible trauma.We the undersigned want the parents to be held accountable for the lack of supervision and negligence that caused Harambe to lose his life. We the undersigned feel the child's safety is paramount in this situation. We believe that this negligence may be reflective of the child's home situation. We the undersigned actively encourage an investigation of the child's home environment in the interests of protecting the child and his siblings from further incidents of parental negligence that may result in serious bodily harm or even death
https://www.change.org/p/cincinnati-zoo-justice-for-harambe

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I've been to this area of the Cincinnati Zoo many times with my kids. Never once did they get out of arms reach of me. I do not blame the zoo. The emergency response team did the right thing under the circumstances. Those circumstances, however, are what infuriates me.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
There was a similar incident, oh, 7-8 years ago, maybe. A small child had fallen into a gorilla enclosure, breaking his arm in the fall. The female gorilla picked up the child, cradled it in her arms, and went to the enclosure door, where she gave the child to the zoo keepers. In the Cincinnati case, the gorilla looked to be dragging the child around like a favorite toy.

Regardless, you have to protect the child in such cases.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Hard to say. Seems the gorilla was protecting him.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

You should watch the unedited video. He is seen dragging him through the water very fast. The boy's head is in the water as this is happening.

I think the zoo did what they had to do. I don't blame them, the parents should have watched their child. Honestly, if this happened to my child...I would have jumped in to get him. I wouldn't just stand by saying "I am here.."

You should watch the unedited video. He is seen dragging him through the water very fast. The boys head is in the water as this is happening.

I think the zoo did what they had to do. I don't blame them, the parents should have watched their child. Honestly, if this happened to my child...I would have jumped in to get him. I wouldn't just stand by saying "I am here.."
Yeah I saw it. That's why is said it seems. It's an unfortunate situation.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is a risk anyone owning and/or operating a zoo has to consider as something that could happen. I hate it for the Go-rilla but if I'm going to error it will be on the side of overreacting to save the life of a human rather than an animal.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Tranqillizers weren't an option?

Great question. My only guess as to the reason they didn't use them was the zoo considered the child in immediate danger and didn't want to take the risk of shooting the animal with a tranquilizer and while waiting on it to kick in it killed the child. Who knows?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.