Was shooting a rare gorilla the only option for Cincinnati Zoo?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So a zoo has a 400 lb creature in an enclosure which is easily accessible (obviously) for a 4yo boy to get in there and we are going to blame the parents?! Now I don't know these parents from Adam's house cat so I can't make any judgments about them. I didn't see what happened so I can't just assume (you know what you do when you assume) they were negligent. However, I do know a large and dangerous wild animal was kept in captivity for people's entertainment (place whatever value judgment on that you like - it's just a fact) and the animal's enclosure could be breached by a 4 yo boy, who is not the only person to have suffered a similar fate (it's happened with/to adults as well). I know in a situation like that you have to watch your kid like a hawk. Mine are grown and nearly grown and I still watch them like a hawk. I don't know what, if anything, the parents did wrong. I do know the zoo made it easy enough for the child to get in and the blame should, IMHO, should go primarily on those who designed and allowed to remain in place such an unsafe system.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Heard a rep from the Cincinnati Zoo this morning saying that he's seen the gorilla they shot, crush a coconut one-handed. Folks, that's strong! With an animal that strong, you can't risk him not hurting the child unintentionally.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Heard a rep from the Cincinnati Zoo this morning saying that he's seen the gorilla they shot, crush a coconut one-handed. Folks, that's strong! With an animal that strong, you can't risk him not hurting the child unintentionally.
First, I'm guessing that is a bit of an exaggeration
Second, what do you expect at this point. They are trying to justify their actions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
First, I'm guessing that is a bit of an exaggeration
Second, what do you expect at this point. They are trying to justify their actions.
why would you think that would be an exaggeration? gorillas are insanely strong. jmho, but they don't need any justification for what they did

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've read estimates (based on strength tests of chimpanzees) that an adult male silverback is roughly 20x as strong as an adult human. Crushing a coconut is not beyond the realm of belief for these beasts.

Heck, here's a video out there of a gorilla literally ripping a banana tree apart - that requires incredible grip strength...

Unless there was a non-lethal, instant method to neutralize the gorilla, shooting him was the right call. It sucks, they're incredible animals, but the boy had to be protected.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm just wondering if a gorilla can really just simply crush a coconut with one hand.:conf2:
Let's say it was really two hands rather than one. Does it really matter at that point? It wouldn't require that type of strength to completely crush a 4 year old's head into a pancake. Let's not get hung up on very minor details. But make no mistake about it. A Silver Back Gorilla is crazy, crazy strong.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I think there was a pre-planned course of action with this. If X happens with and animal labelled as "dangerous" then we do Y. X happened and it required the gorilla to be put down. Human safety first. No need to have to try and think this through with adrenaline running.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
It's a shame this kid was never told "no" or that doing something after being told "no" had very unpleasant consequences.
That is a good, very important lesson no question about it, but

i know what you are saying, but if that kid is anything like my 4 year old at times, they don't care
show me a 4 year old who minds every single time, and I'll show you a unicorn

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I wonder why Harambe didn't crush the kid like a coconut?

Do you think he was protecting the kid from all those 2 legged monkeys screaming from the balcony?

Is that why he was holding the kid between his legs? For protection?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Do you think he was protecting the kid from all those 2 legged monkeys screaming from the balcony?

Probably but we will never know.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

From looking at the clips, confusion...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.