Link: Gaspard resigns

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Just beat me to it, he is gone! Hopefully we can hire the right coach and get this team moving in the right direction. RTR!
BEST NEWS of the day! I know the players are relieved. The mental abuse is over. Hopefully they get it turned around. I feel bad for Dax and Andy who were shackled by Mitch, not allowed to coach.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Who are some possible candidates to replace him?

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
As others said, McDonnell at Louisville will get a look. Honestly, not sure a move to BAMA is a move up. ACC and SEC are the top conferences. He has equal facilities and support.

Heefner at Dallas Baptist but, he turned down Baylor for family concerns. He is a deeply religious man. Not sure we'd be a good fit.

The coach at Sanford has been mentioned. I know Casey is an AU alumni but, he jas experience at the collegiate and HS level in the state.

If Vandy's coach was willing to move I have a feeling the long horns will get him.

WHOEVER IT IS NEEDS TO BE A PLAYER COACH. The kids need the anti-Mitch. They don't need to be yelled at and belittled when they don't have success.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
What about Dave Serrano at UT? I know he's not done much there, but wonder if he could do better at UA? He's got the pedigree, no question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
WHOEVER IT IS NEEDS TO BE A PLAYER COACH. The kids need the anti-Mitch. They don't need to be yelled at and belittled when they don't have success.
Everyone here knows that I was way past ready for Gaspard to go. But, I would like to know how you know he did this? During his tenure seeing him in the dugout I never saw him yell at a player. You sure you're not confusing him with Sonny Galloway?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I like the McDonnell idea. Cohen might be a good one to make a run at... although I'm vaguely recalling that there might be some issues with him.

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
Everyone here knows that I was way past ready for Gaspard to go. But, I would like to know how you know he did this? During his tenure seeing him in the dugout I never saw him yell at a player. You sure you're not confusing him with Sonny Galloway?
Same here and from what others have been saying, the players all liked him and he's a great guy from all accounts. However, a change definitely needed to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
BEST NEWS of the day! I know the players are relieved. The mental abuse is over. Hopefully they get it turned around. I feel bad for Dax and Andy who were shackled by Mitch, not allowed to coach.
Just curious- how do you know of this "mental abuse" that you allude to? Not saying you are wrong- you must know some former players or parents.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I don't understand college baseball recruiting apparently. From what I see on the weekends at travel ball tournaments, there is enough talent in this state to field championship team. Sure you can chase all over the southeast for the elite players. But seems to me if you just coach and develop the kids in your own backyard you could have a very competitive program.

Not saying Gaspard was this way but I have never seen any baseball coach labor at their job the way football coaches do. And too, there has always been an air about the baseball players that I have known even more so than football players. I don't get where this comes from.

The baseball program needs to take some advice from the softball program. Get out and promote the heck out your program, recruit coachable gritty players, play an aggressive style, and let the fans know you appreciate them coming to the games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What I know is that CBB is going to show everyone how important baseball is at Alabama. If he gets a home run hire then we know it's pretty important. If he gets a past assistant or a coach with a decent resume at a weaker conference like calvi at USA, then we know that baseball isn't high at Alabama.

Note: I'm not knocking calvi I'm just saying there are better options that we can get. Calvi might be better than Gaspard in terms of success and coaching in general.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't understand college baseball recruiting apparently. From what I see on the weekends at travel ball tournaments, there is enough talent in this state to field championship team. Sure you can chase all over the southeast for the elite players. But seems to me if you just coach and develop the kids in your own backyard you could have a very competitive program.

Yes and no. Recruiting in baseball is different than football, and states with more money get more scholarships. Also, while we do have good in state talent, we don't have anywhere near the amount of talent like Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. The only real puzzling things are why the Mississippis and vandy better than us, and why has USA surpassed us and auburn in our own state. The answer to both could very well be superior coaching and recruiting.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yes and no. Recruiting in baseball is different than football, and states with more money get more scholarships. Also, while we do have good in state talent, we don't have anywhere near the amount of talent like Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. The only real puzzling things are why the Mississippis and vandy better than us, and why has USA surpassed us and auburn in our own state. The answer to both could very well be superior coaching and recruiting.
This may be this case. But it seems there is more than enough talent in this state to field a good team - players who want to stay in state to play. Outside of their tradition I don't know of a single advantage MSU or Ole Miss has over us yet they have been better than us for several years now. Sort of like how USA has passed us. I can say pretty confidently with the evolution of travel teams and the number of kids participating, the talent to recruit from is deeper than its ever been. Same can't be said for basketball in this state. Coaching the kids you have and can get hard should be the priority but I haven't got that impression was a priority the last few years certainly from an offensive standpoint.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.