Jersey Countdown to Gameday

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
84 Days: Richard "Daddy Wags" Wagner

Stealing this from Kerry Goode's Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/Kgoode35?fref=ts

With 84 days to go before kickoff of the 2016 football season, we celebrate the ultimate walk-on. #84 Richard "Daddy Wags" Wagner the definition of Persistence and Dedication. The year is 1972, When Wags graduates for high school in Ft Payne Al. His dream is to play for Alabama & Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant but at 6'2, 140 lbs. he had no realistic opportunity to play college football.
Out of high school Wags worked as an Auto Mechanic for awhile before enlisting in the Service. ...Fast forward six years to 1979 as he leaves the military. Now 6'3 215 lbs. the desire to play football still burn inside. "I grew up sing Yea Alabama. I never thought of playing anywhere else." "I tired out for the 1979 squad but didn't make the cut. So I went to see Coach Bryant and he said he must stand by the decision of his assistants, who had made the cuts. But he said if I went through the off season conditioning program I could come back in the spring."
Wagner follow the wise man's advice and made the squad in 1980 working with the scout team during practice. 1981 he made the travel squad for 3 games. As a junior Wags saw his first action in a game against Georgia Tech in a 45-7 victory.
By now you are aware the Wagner is a rare bird. It's his senior year and Daddy Wags turns 30 year of age when most players at this age are finishing their NFL career.
Bama takes on SMU in the 1983 Sunbowl.
Wagner plays again in his final game of his career. A couple of weeks before the game, Wags graduated with an Electrical engineering degree. A week he reported to work for a company in Melbourne Fl.
"I accomplished everything I set out to do except two things. I didn't get to play on a National championship team. My second goal was to start. I just played behind too much talent."
Notre Dame may have Rudy but Bama had "Daddy Wags."

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
83 Days: John Croyle

Another one from Kerry Goode

https://www.facebook.com/Kgoode35?fref=ts

The year is 1983, i like many other recruits are informed that Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant has passed. Signing day is two weeks away. We are reassured that the Crimson Tide is in good hands. Earlier in the season, Coach Bryant announced that he was stepping down and Coach Ray Perkins would be his replacement.
Coach Perkins phoned many recruits to honor most of the scholarship offers by Coach Bryant. The class of 1983 arrives on campus in the midst of great change. With any ...change some will like it and some will not. I witnessed this again with the Perkins to Curry Era change.
As a freshman, we often heard about "How things use to be, How things are or how things will be now. In the middle stood 28 guys that just wanted to play at the University of Alabama. I honor each of my fellow recruits that dealt with change coming in and leaving the capstone.
But today we honor John Croyle of the Big Oak Ranch. The Big Oak ministry grew out of the desire to give hurting children a chance. John Croyle, Founder of Big Oak Ranch, successfully played football at the University. Faced with one of the most important decisions of his life ,whether to play professional football or to start a children’s home . John followed the Lord’s leadership and established Big Oak Boys’ Ranch in 1974.
OVER THE PAST FOUR DECADES, BIG OAK RANCH HAS GROWN INTO THREE SEPARATE FACILITIES IN NORTHEAST ALABAMA. He started the boys' home just outside Gadsden. The girls' ranch opened in 1988 in Springville. In 1990, Big Oak Ranch took over the Westbrook Christian School, also near Gadsden. Please pray for continued success and Brodie Croyle as he takes over for his dad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.