Jersey Countdown to Gameday

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
82 Days: Ozzie Newsom.
Kerry Goode keeps posting gems on facebook. I'll keep sharing these, I have a felling he will keep adding a little extra for each number.
82 days from kickoff
And I must give an honorable mention to All American Wayne Wheeler and my teammate Mr Miami Vice Clay Whitehurst.
Today's honor goes to my homeboy #82 Ozzie Newsome Jr.,Nicknamed "The Wizard of Oz," an All-America Split End, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant called him "the greatest end in Alabama history and that includes Don Hutson. A total team player, fine blocker, outstanding leader, great receiver with concentration, speed, hands."
... A first round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns. Newsome did not miss a game in his 13-year NFL career.
The Wiz went on to become the first African American general manager and executive vice president of a National Football League (NFL) team. Newsome's stellar career has earned him induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and the National High school Hall of Fame.
Newsome earned his first Super Bowl ring when the Ravens defeated the New York Giants 34-7 in Super Bowl XXXV in 2001, and earned a second ring after the Ravens defeated the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII 34-31 in 2013 as an executive.
The Leighton Al. Colbert County High School native, went 13-0 and won the Class 3A state title in football. He also played forward on the basketball team that won the 3A title and catcher and first baseman on the baseball team that lost in the 3A-4A championship.
He is one of a few Pro Football Hall of Famers to have won Championships of every level and to be inducted to the Hall of Fame on every level.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
81 days

Mike Pitts

I thought about throwing Thornton Chandler in there - but with with the past few days being mostly TE and WR I figured we should give the defense some love.

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
81 Days: Mike Pitts

Yet another contribution from Kerry Goode.

81 days until all is right in the universe. We honor Thornton Chandler and Lamonde Russell with an honorable mention. As Thornton (Picture) cries tears of joy following Van Tiffin's famous kick.
Our salute goes out to Michael Anthony Pitts who was a defensive end for the Tide and also the National Football League (NFL) for twelve seasons during the 1980s and 1990s. He was recognized as an All-American and selected in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft, and played profes...sionally for the Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, and New England Patriots of the NFL. NFL draft: 1983 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16
Atlanta Falcons (1983–1986)
Philadelphia Eagles (1987–1992)
New England Patriots (1993–1994)
Pitts did quite a bit of winning in his own right during his four-year Crimson Tide career, amassing an overall record of 39-8-1. He won two SEC titles as well as the 1979 national championship against the Arkansas Razorbacks.
The Baltimore Maryland naive from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute high school now resides in the Atlanta area.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Wilbur Jackson:

(side note: I was an early adopter of the Alabama Alumni Association tag in Mississippi back in 2007/08 when I lived there, and I ended up with a two digit number, it was 80, Wilbur Jackson's)

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
80 Days: Eric Curry

Kerry Goode keep posting some good one on Facebook.
Bonus
I must salute the man that paved the way for me and all of the other minority players who have step foot on the grass at Bryant Denny. Wilbur Jackson: Alabama Football Pioneer
#80 Wilbur Jackson -running back at the University of Alabama and for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted in the first round of the 1974 NFL Draft by the 49ers. He played five seasons for San Francisco, and then three years with the Washington Redskins. He... was a member of the 1982 Washington Redskins Super Bowl championship team.
Jackson was the first African American offered a football scholarship at the University of Alabama and was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame in 2007. Even though he signed with the Crimson Tide in 1970, he couldn't play until the 1971 season because the NCAA didn't allow freshman to play back then. John Mitchell was the first to actually play in a game.
"As it got closer,[reporting to campus] it got scary," Jackson says, But, he says, "People were fair to me."
It was Bryant, Jackson says who showed the way, not just in the athletic department but on the campus as a whole.
"On my recruiting trip, Coach Bryant said, "If you come here, I'm going to make you the best wide receiver in the nation," Jackson says.
"The thing that really got me was he said, "If you ever have a problem, you come see me." The entire time I was there, I never needed to go see Coach Bryant."
Jackson played on the 1973 national championship team. Though he was recruited as a receiver, Alabama eventually switched to the wishbone offense and Jackson became a running back.
He still holds the Alabama school record for yards per carry (7.2) for his career (1,529 yards on 212 attempts) from 1971–73. Against Virginia Tech in 1973 he rushed for 138 yards on 5 carries, an average of 27.6 yards per carry. “I appreciate it, all the people that have supported me, the family, the lifelong friends and teachers and church members I have,” Jackson said.
Jackson is from Ozark, Alabama, Carroll High School. Jackson returned to Ozark where he and his wife Martha raised their daughter, Emily, and started his business, 3 Star

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
79 Days: Byron Holdbrooks

Another great tribute from Kerry Goode

79 days fromKickoff
I sure Brent Sowell and Richard Cole will more than happy to honor a fellow #79 today.
#79 William Byron Holdbrooks, 48 of Alabaster, formerly of Haleyville was laid to rest yesterday. Byron Holdbrooks had a massive heart attack on Sunday night.
... Byron played football for University of Alabama in 1990’s. He was drafted in the 10th Round(276th overall) 1991 San Francisco 49ers.
If there was an image that was symbolic of Alabama's turnaround under Gene Stallings, it was the one of Holdbrooks standing with arms raised after dropping Auburn Quarterback Stan White during the Crimson Tide's Iron Bowl win in 1990.
He enjoyed football, golf, talking to people, deer hunting, and bird hunting.. Byron was full of life and always wanted people to make this moment a celebration of his life rather than mourn it. As Byron would say “Roll Tide Roll!”
He is survived by his loving wife of 11 years, Kristi Holdbrooks. Please keep the family in your prayers.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
78 Days: Jon Hand

Credit Kerry Goode

78 days to go…
This number has had some exceptional talent to wear it. I’ll start with an all-around guy and great person, Derrick Rushton and the late Ozell Powell.
The latest All American was Michael P. Johnson an offensive lineman. He was recognized as a consensus All-American. The Atlanta Falcons chose him in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
But my salute goes to #78 Jon Thomas Hand (was selected by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1st round (4th overall) of the 1986 ...NFL Draft. A 6' 6", 280 lb . An All American Defensive end from the University of Alabama, Hand played in nine NFL seasons, all with the Colts.
When asked, What did your jersey number mean to you?
“It was the first number (78) I ever was given. They are two of God’s favorite numbers – seven is completion and eight is the new beginning (David).”
Big Jon hails for Sylacauga (AL) but now makes his home in Indianapolis IN. where he’s a giant in the fast food industry. Jon owns several franchises.
Another legend is Robert “Bob” Cryder an offensive guard who played in the NFL from 1978–1986. Bob was an All American while at the University of Alabama. Bob spent 9 years in the NFL with Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
77 Days: Roosevelt Patterson

This may be Kerry Goode's best one yet.

#77 is the lucky number today.
We have several worthy of today's salute. Bill Condon the meanest OL I've ever played with...All American Barry Krauss of the great "Goal Line Stand",All American Arie Kouandjio and others.
But I salute Roosevelt Patterson (Big Rosie) for resurrecting his life. Roosevelt Patterson played on two state championship football teams at Vigor High School before playing right offensive tackle for Alabama's 1992 national championship team. A fifth-rou...nd draft pick in 1994, Patterson gave the NFL a go with the Raiders and Rams and played in the CFL. Patterson now works at James T Strickland youth center for troubled kids and coaches at Mobile Christian School.
Patterson asked the youngsters, though, if any of them knew how many years 60 months was. It took several tries, but one of the boys got it right - five years. Patterson then told the kids that's how long he was in prison.
Patterson told the children he had smoked marijuana, used cocaine and abused alcohol. He said he did "things I wasn't proud of, and I landed in prison." After his arrest in 1998, Patterson was convicted of possession and conspiracy to distribute cocaine and was sentenced to federal prison.
Thankfully, Patterson said, the lessons learned in childhood reasserted themselves while he was incarcerated, and he told the youngsters not to do what he did, "trying to straddle the fence, doing the right thing and the wrong thing."
"I thank God for my mother and father, Roosevelt Patterson and Hattie Patterson," Patterson said afterward. "When you raise a child up in the church, you let him know that with God all things are possible. That's what I try to instill in these youngsters - getting back in the right setting and building themselves up and keeping God first.
"That's how I kept my morale up. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
From his time at Alabama, Patterson will never forget the Crimson Tide's victory over top-ranked Miami (Fla.) in the Sugar Bowl to claim the national championship at the end of the 1992 season.
"We were the underdog," Patterson said. "They counted us out. On Bourbon Street, Lamar Thomas, me and him got into it, and Rohan Marley, too. They were calling me Fat Boy. I told them at the end of the game they were going to call me the Champ Fat Boy. It turned out I was the Champ Fat Boy."
"No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you've come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself."

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Condon was mean as hell, on and off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
76 Days: DJ Fluker

From Kerry Goode

The number 76 belongs to the guys that made me look Goode. While DJ Fluker maybe the bell cow of this group, I'm must salute two guys that open holes for me. Mike Adcock and John Fruhmorgen take a bow.
Mike Adcock of Huntsville's J O Johnson High School. During his playing years, Alabama compiled a 35-12-2 record and Mike started in 36 of these games. These wins included some of the most memorable in school history; they included Coach Bryant’s 315th victory, Alabama’s 60...0th win and Coach Bryant’s final game. During his senior year, he was selected first team All-SEC and Honorable Mention All-American. Mike reflected on his athletic career with the following comments, “Looking back over the years I realize many people have had an impact on my athletic accomplishments. Coach Bryant molded my character and ability to play the sport of football. Off the field he treated his players like his own children and/or grandchildren by teaching us valuable lessons in life I still carry today. On the field he taught us how to be winners. He taught us the correct way to be a good winner and on occasion a good loser.”
#76 John Fruhmorgen an offensive guard from Tampa (FL) Jesuit. Played in the National Football League for the Miami Dolphins and in The World Football League, London Monarchs.
John currently resides in the Tampa area. He is the owner/operator of staffyourdealer.com
John's son, Jake, will be a Sophomore for Clemson this fall.
Danny Lee Jesus "D. J." Fluker an All American offensive guard for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). He was considered one of the best offensive tackles of his college class,and was drafted by the Chargers in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Alabama
Place of birth: New Orleans, Louisiana
High school: Foley (AL)
NFL draft: 2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 11
BCS National Championship (2010, 2012, 2013

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.