BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
These last 2 have been no brainers.

54 Days:

by Kerry Goode

54 days from kickoff and we celebrate "Mr. True Grit"
#54 Lee Roy Jordan was a star at linebacker for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL), despite his relatively small size. Jordan was named an All-American at Alabama in 1963, earned All-Southeastern Conference honors in 1961 and 1962, and was voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 1963 Orange Bowl. In the NFL, Jordan was selected All-Pro twice and played in fiv...e Pro Bowls and three Super Bowls.
He played with the Cowboys during an era that defined them as "America's Team," making the playoffs in 11 of his 14 seasons and earning three trips to the Super Bowl.
Jordan operates several businesses in the Dallas area, including the Lee Roy Jordan Lumber Company.
"I learned the business and I put the rules to work that coach Bryant taught us about hard work and being loyal to your employees and treating your customers fair and right," he said. "I found those rules work in business no matter what you're in."
He currently resides in Baldwin County near Point Clear, Alabama. He was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame in 1980 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983.
I also honor my teammate Wes Neighbors from Huntsville Al. Wes anchored the offensive line from 1983-1986. Wes also spent time with the Indianapolis Colts. Wes is now a financial advisor in the Huntsville area and has a radio show on 97.7 called "The Drive." ESPN radio

This years #54 Dalvin Tomlinson

Junior (2015)

Provided depth along one of the nation's deepest defensive fronts ... led the team with six pass breakups from a down lineman and added 34 total tackles ... also had four quarterback hurries ... earned defensive player of the week recognition from the Alabama coaches for his efforts against ULM and Charleston Southern. Wisconsin: Saw action in the season opener, recording two total tackles, both assisted ... added a team-leading three pass breakups ... helped limit the Badger offense to just 268 yards of total offense and 17 points ... also plugged up the middle to limit UW to just 40 yards rushing on 21 total attempts. Middle Tennessee: Entered off the bench to provide the Tide with depth along the defensive line ... collected three tackles on the day ... helped limit the Blue Raider offense to just 86 yards on the ground. Ole Miss: A disruptive force up the middle, collected two tackles as well as his team-leading fourth pass breakup of the season. ULM: Made a season-high five stops along the defensive front and added one pass breakup ... helped limit the Warhawk offense to just 92 yards of total offense and only nine yards rushing. Georgia: Provided depth along the Alabama defensive front, putting pressure on the Bulldogs all afternoon ... did not record any stats by game's end. Arkansas: Created a push along the defensive front, finishing his night with two quarterback hurries and one pass breakup to move his NCAA-leading total to six. Texas A&M: Put pressure on the Aggie quarterback, recording one hurry ... helped limit A&M to a season-low 23 points while holding the Aggie rushing attack to a lowly 32 yards on the ground. Tennessee: A force on the line, recorded one quarterback hurry and a tackle against the Vols ... provided depth to an Alabama defensive line rotation that recorded five sacks and eight quarterback hurries by day's end. LSU: A key part in holding the Tiger offense below 200 yards, recorded four tackles, including half a tackle for a loss (-1 yard) ... helped limit the SEC's leading rusher Leonard Fournette to 31 yards on 19 carries. Mississippi State: Made a season-high tying five stops along the defensive front ... helped bottle up Dak Prescott, limiting the Bulldogs' leading rusher to only 14 yards rushing on 26 carries. Charleston Southern: Recorded four stops along the defensive front ... helped limit the Buccaneers to only 85 yards rushing. Auburn: Finished with one tackle along the defensive front ... helped plug holes to limit the Tiger rushing attack to only 91 yards, including just one yard on 14 carries in the second half. Florida: Made three total tackles along the defensive front ... was key in helping limit the Gators to only 15 yards on the ground. Michigan State: Notched three tackles along the defensive front ... played a key role in limiting the Spartan rushing attack to only 29 yards on the ground. Clemson: Added depth along the Crimson Tide defensive front, finishing with one solo stop in the national championship.

Sophomore (2014)

A regular in the defensive line rotation at end for the Crimson Tide defense ... played in 14 games and had 22 tackles with eight solo stops, 2.0 sacks (-5 yards), 5.5 tackles for loss (-11 yards) and two quarterback hurries. West Virginia: Came off the bench but was a force for the Alabama defense with five tackles ... helped limit the Mountaineers to just 28 rushing yards ... had two solo tackles. FAU: Played but did not record any stats vs. the Owls. Southern Miss: Recorded one solo tackle off the bench ... helped limit the Golden Eagles to only 56 rushing yards on 18 attempts ... added his first quarterback hurry of the season. Florida: Made one solo tackle, including one solo stop as the Tide limited the Gators to only 200 total yards. Arkansas: Added an assisted tackle in the Tide's win over the Razorbacks, while helping limit the SEC's best rushing attack to just 89 yards, 227 yards below their previous average. Tennessee: Registered the first sack of his career, dropping Vols quarterback Joshua Dobbs for a one-yard loss ... finished with two solo tackles. LSU: Made three tackles, including two solo stops ... had two tackles for loss (-2 yards) and helped limit the Tigers to just 3.3 yards per rush and 76 passing yards. Mississippi State: Turned in a career-best seven tackles with two tackles for loss (-7 yards) and one sack (-4 yards). Auburn: Recorded two assisted tackles with half of a tackle for loss (-1 yard) ... added his second quarterback hurry of the season in the win over the No. 15 Tigers.

Redshirt Freshman (2013)

Played in one game before a knee injury ended his season ... had four tackles with two solo stops against Virginia Tech before the injury.

Freshman (2012)

Redshirt during his first season at the Capstone.

High School and Personal Data

Picked the Crimson Tide on signing day to help solidify an outstanding 2012 class of defensive linemen ... a four-star talent with good power ... ranked 149th in the Rivals250 ... Rivals.com rated him as the No. 11 defensive tackle nationally and the No. 11 player in the state of Georgia ... Scout.com ranked him the country's 17th-best defensive tackle ... 247sports.com listed him as the No. 21 player in the Peach State and the No. 22 defensive tackle nationally ... ESPNU three-star prospect who was rated 42nd among defensive tackles and 56th in Georgia ... first team Georgia Sports Writers Association AAA All-State ... SuperPrep All-American and the publication's No. 13 player in the state of Georgia ... SuperPrep's No. 53 defensive line prospect (ends and tackles) ... Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super 11 ... No. 77 on the PrepStar Dream Team ... PrepStar All-American and All-Atlantic Region choice ... PrepStar's No. 11 defensive tackle ... No. 50 in Mobile Press-Register's Super Southeast 120 ... had 109 tackles as a senior in 2011 with 8.5 sacks, four pass breakups and one blocked field goal ... had 76 tackles with 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries as a junior in 2010 ... coached by Mike Rozier at Henry County High School ... chose Alabama over Georgia Tech.

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
53 Days: Ryan Parris

by Kerry Goode

53 Days and counting
Not all honored players are former superheroes. Today we salute a current player.
#53 Ryan Parris a center from James Clemens High School in Madison Al., limited participation in Alabama's 2016 spring game might have been the beginning and the end of his college football career. He's not on scholarship. He played a total of two plays, and all on special teams.
He wouldn't talk to me about his amoeba and his long battle against the persistent little d...evil because talking to reporters without permission is not part of "the process." Parris doesn't fear the parasite that's doing the backstroke atop his cornea. He does, however, fear Saban.
If that was it, and the parasitic amoeba fighting to take over his left eye forces him to give up on his dream, then at least he had the opportunity to run down the field inside Bryant-Denny Stadium in front of nearly 80,000 fans.
Why did an Alabama walk-on football player participate in Saturday's A-Day game when there is an amoeba attacking his eye? Three reasons. One, he loves football. Two, he loves Alabama. Three, he's really, really tough.
For those unfamiliar with amoebae, science calls them single-celled animals that catch food and "move about by extending finger-like projections or protoplasm." They live in damp warm places, or in your eyes. In other words, Ryan has the mother of all eye floaters. But this one is eating his eye.
"It could have been any number of things, and we'll never really know for sure," said Ryan's father Butch Parris, "but the highest risk group to get this are teenagers wearing contacts. Because teenagers are less likely to wash their hands properly, and less likely to clean them properly."
If you want to cheer for one player this season no one has ever heard of, then make Ryan Parris your guy. He'll be the redshirt freshman backup long snapper wearing new age rec-specs. Show your love.
By Joseph Goodman

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
52 Days: Harry Gilmer

by Kerry Goode

52 days from getting life back to normal
We honor No.52 Harry Gilmer who played multiple Positions- Quarterback,Halfback,Defensive back. Mr. Gilmer recently turned 90 years old. Born in Birmingham, Alabama he was the first pick of the NFL draft in 1948 for the Washington Redskins (1948–1954). He was also a player/coach for the
Detroit Lions (HC) (1965–1966).
Glimer Career highlights and awards
2× Pro Bowl selection (1950, 1952)
1946 Rose Bowl MVP
All-SEC (1945)
SEC Player of The Year (1945)
All-American (1945)
Alabama Sports Hall of Fame (1973)
We also honor Anthony Bruce Smiley, a former linebacker for the Tide. Anthony is an executive with Boyd Transportation and he loves to run his Harley and fish. AJ...Anthony Jr. plays for Troy University.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
51 Days: Carson Tinker

by Kerry Goode

51 nights before kickoff of the college football season.
Shout out to Mike White and Tommy Cole. 2 of my teammates that wore this number.
We salute #51 Carson Tinker a long snapper who now plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL. Tinker played for the Alabama Crimson Tide, and was a member of the 2009 national championship team and played as the starting long snapper for both the 2011 and 2012 national teams.
... On April 27, 2011, Tinker suffered a personal tragedy when his girlfriend Ashley Harrison was killed during the 2011 Tuscaloosa – Birmingham tornado. In recognition for his efforts in helping the Tuscaloosa community rebuild in the aftermath of the tornado, Tinker was named as a finalist for the 2011 Sportsman of the Year. Tinker published his first book, "A Season to Remember: Faith in the Midst of the Storm" which details his experience in the 2011 Tuscaloosa tornado as well as the 2011-12 University of Alabama football championship season.
Carson was selected by his teammates to accept the 2011 Disney's Wide World of Sports Spirit Award on December 8, 2011, on behalf of the entire team in recognition for their collective efforts in the rebuilding of Tuscaloosa after the tornado.

This years #51: Jake Long

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
50 Days: Alphonse Taylor

by Kerry Goode

Shout out to my teammates Rob Roberts and Chris Robinette for proudly wearing the number 50.
Today we salute #50 Alphonse Taylor from Davidson of Mobile Al.
... Everyone, it seems, has a nickname in Alabama's locker room. Few become public personas, known by fans or used by Nick Saban as the only identifier in a news conference.
Meet Shank.
His given name is Alphonse Taylor, Alabama's starting right guard. Somehow the fun-loving offensive lineman got the moniker of a crude prison weapon. How'd that happen?
"I've had that nickname since park-league football, I'm talking like 10-years-old," Taylor said. "My park-league coach gave me that name. I've never understood it, really. It just stuck with me all the way until now."
Well, Shank came to Alabama as a big kid back in 2012. On National Signing Day, the 6-foot-6 nose tackle said he weighed 360 pounds. On Tuesday, he said the weight was more like 385 pounds.
Either way, he was getting a heavy dose of Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran. Back in February 2012, Shank's called the routine the "craziest workouts ever."
The first day was rough.
Honestly, I almost died. But since then it's been great, it's been fun. I'm just enjoying the experience because if you look at 'Oh man, I gotta come in and work out every day,' you're not going to survive. You have to look at it, 'I have another day to get better. I have another chance to improve myself.' That's how I started looking at it from day one."
Move ahead three years and Shank's well established on the offensive line. He's started all six games this season and weighs a more healthy 325 pounds. Cochran's workouts aren't so bad now that he's a veteran.
"Uh, I love it now," Shank said. "It's all a part of the process. You just had to buy into it. Like, coming in as a freshman, that's just something new to you. It's something new to your body. It's something that you had to adapt to. And now I'm adapted to it. It's a part of my process, it's something I've bought into. And I'm all about the bigger, faster stronger. I'm all about the 'Bama way, so I'm really into it now."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to the countdown clock at Rolltide.com, we are at 49 days, with all due respect, sir.
The link I posted is the football team's twitter account.

A countdown clock is always going to be a day less because it is counting the seconds, minutes and hours, too. IOW, it won't say one day until kickoff on September 2, but it's still one day until kickoff.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The link I posted is the football team's twitter account.

A countdown clock is always going to be a day less because it is counting the seconds, minutes and hours, too. IOW, it won't say one day until kickoff on September 2, but it's still one day until kickoff.
Isn't it also counting to midnight?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
According to the countdown clock at Rolltide.com, we are at 49 days, with all due respect, sir.
Isn't it also counting to midnight?
Guys, here's the bottom line: No matter what any countdown clock says, 49 days from today is September 2, not September 3. And we wonder why other schools' fans poke fun at how we count national titles...

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Doesn't NASA's launch countdown end in "Zero and LIFT OFF" ? Sept. 3 is our zero day !

and yes I await with bated breath--RTR

Last edited:

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
And BTW, the ZERO is how most schools count their national titles :) If we end at 1 we will still be 1 day away from kickoff.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I thought we had gained a day in there somewhere- was just keeping up with hoho & I know he was reposting Kerry Goode - didn't want to dispute Kerry. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.