Jersey Countdown to Gameday

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We still have 50 more sunrises before our team will play USC. The rolltide.com clock is a countdown to 12:00am on September 3rd, not until game time. With SEC media days behind us, only 3 weeks until the team reports. We're getting there, oh so slowly.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Because I am old school I decided to simply count the calendar. Although it took be a couple of times because the number exceeds the total of my fingers & toes, if we stayed on this same pace we would post 1 day on September 1st. Guess I should hold off on 48 until tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
49 Days: Rashad Johnson

by Kerry Goode
Mr Walk-on to Champion himself...Rashad Johnson.
In June Tennessee Titans safety Rashad Johnson hosted his 6th high intensity high school skills camp also held 4th Annual Celebrity Basketball game featuring his NFL colleagues and former Alabama players at Sulligent High School in Sulligent, Alabama.
... Rashad Johnson is a safety for the Tennessee Titans. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft from The University of Alabama to the Arizona Cardinals where he spent his first seven NFL seasons.
Johnson was originally a walk-on at The University of Alabama coming from Sulligent High School in Sulligent, AL. Rashad ended up being a two-year starter at safety, a two-time team captain (only 8th player in school history to do so), and an Alabama legend. Rashad started as a running back and made the switch to defense in 2005 after redshirting
his first season.
Rashad is also very active in the community both in Sulligent and Phoenix. His foundation, Walk-On to Champions Foundation, was established to provide courage, strength, and support to encourage youth to chase their dreams. His goal is to show children that the road to being a champion can start anywhere. He is dedicated to the mission that success will occur for youth that have positive role models, a commitment to their dreams, and perseverance to make it happen.

This years # 49 Christian Bell

Comes to Alabama after a successful career at Hoover High School ... arrived at the Capstone in January of 2016 and will participate in spring practice ... a four-star prospect by ESPN ... selected to participate in the 2015 Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl ... in the 2015 recruiting cycle, ranked No. 225 in the ESPN300, the No. 19 defensive end prospect and No. 9 player in Alabama ... a Top 300 All-American by Prepstar ranked 114th in the Southeast region by ESPN ... No. 19 weakside defensive end by 247Sports.com and No. 445 in their 247Composite ... ranked as the No. 18 weakside end by Rivals.com and the No 14 player in the state of Alabama ... Scout.com ranked him 40th among defensive ends and the No. 4 end in Alabama ... finished his senior season (2014) with 33 tackles, five tackles for loss, four sacks and seven quarterback hurries ... played for head coach Josh Niblett at Hoover High School ... chose Alabama over Mississippi State and UCLA.

Attachments

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
47 Days: Woodrow Lowe

by Kerry Goode

Woodrow Lowe from Phenix City Al was linebacker who played from 1976-1986 for the San Diego Chargers in the National Football League. Lowe played collegiately at the University of Alabama under Bear Bryant from 1972–1975.
After a stellar career at Central High School in Phenix City, Lowe enrolled at Alabama in 1972, where he found instant success. Lowe became one of only two Alabama players to be named an All-American three times (the other being Cornelius Bennett) when he was named an All-American in 1973, 1974, and 1975. Lowe also played on four SEC championship teams, and one national championship team, while he was at Alabama.
Lowe also holds the Alabama record for most tackles in a season, with 134 stops as a sophomore in 1973. He ranks third all-time in tackles at Alabama, with 315 in his career.
After a stellar career at Central High School in Phenix City, Lowe enrolled at Alabama in 1972, where he found instant success. Lowe became one of only two Alabama players to be named an All-American three times (the other being Cornelius Bennett) when he was named an All-American in 1973, 1974, and 1975. Lowe also played on four SEC championship teams, and one national championship team, while he was at Alabama.
Lowe also holds the Alabama record for most tackles in a season, with 134 stops as a sophomore in 1973. He ranks third all-time in tackles at Alabama, with 315 in his career.
Lowe is the brother of Eddie Lowe, the mayor of Phenix City.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
46 Days: Doug Allen and Joe Carter

by Kerry Goode

Today we honor Doug Allen and Joe Carter
#46 Doug from Cantonment Fl. Tate High school. I had the honor of being Doug’s roommate while we were with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Doug and I shared the Crimson Tide backfield. Great guy….
#46 Joseph Thomas Carter, running back from Starkville, MS. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fourth round of the 1984 NFL Draft. Joe had starred at Starkville High School. While there, he had worn a headband under his helmet, as ma...ny players do today. He wanted to wear one in the game against Mississippi State.
Carter asked several people what they thought. The response he got was similar. “You better ask The Man.”
The soft spoken and polite Carter approached Coach Bryant on the playing field with the headband in place. He said, “Coach Bryant, when I was at Starkville High School, I was known for wearing a headband. Since we’re playing Mississippi State this weekend, do you care if I wear one?”
Bryant did not hesitate before responding. He said, “Joe, I don’t mind you wearing that headband. But you’ve got to make a choice. You can either wear the headband or the helmet.”
Carter grinned, pulled off the headband and tossed it aside. Bryant chuckled as one of his favorite players trotted toward the first drill of practice that afternoon.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
45 Days: Steve Whitman

by Kerry Goode

Murray Hill and Scott McRae worn number 45 during my playing days and worn it well.
But today, I honor Steve Whitman. Steve said a few words to me after I blew my knee in the Boston College game. Those words were "You can beat this..." And the words became my battle cry and I'm still using it today to fight ALS.
... Steve Whitman a running back from Birmingham Al. Huffman High School. He played on the 1978 & 1979 National Championship teams. Voted 1979 Team Captain and All SEC 1979.
The date was October 20, 1979 and undefeated and untied Alabama trailed Tennessee 17-7 at halftime. At one point the game was 17-0 a score the stuck in Whitman’s mind. “Coach Bryant came into the dressing room at halftime and started walking back and forth. He was clapping his hands and smiling. He kept saying something like, ‘This is great…This is great… We’ve got’em right where we want them. I couldn’t believe what I hearing because Tennessee had killed us during the first half.
Coach Bryant was calm while we were more than a little concern. I thought he had lost his mind. I thought he thought we were ahead. Then he started talking about how we had a chance to show what we were made of, a chance to show class. He gave us his patented talk about how we could come back because our parents had raised us right. He told us we had a chance to show a national audience what we were about.
I don’t think we talked much strategy, other than Coach Bryant telling us our game plan was solid, that we just had to execute better. Near the end of the talk, maybe as a parting shot, Coach Bryant said, “if you win in the second half, I won’t have any doubt you have what it takes to win a National Championship.
Coach Bryant said he wanted us to sit for a few minutes and think about that. After he left, Don McNeal, our great defensive back jumped up and screamed, “Coach Bryant is right. I’m not going to quit and nobody on this team is going to quit.” We had people talking and people praying. We broke down the doors trying to get out of the dressing room and get the second half started.
Alabama won the game 27-17 in stunning fashion.
1979 Alabama vs Tennessee Program – (L to R) Steve Whitman, Tim Travis, Stedman Shealy, Keith Pugh

This years #45: Hunter Bryant

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
44 Days: Craig Turner

by Kerry Goode

Number 44 is a little close to my heart. That’s my old high school number. Therefore, I’ll give these guys a pass. Craig Turner, Spencer Hammond and Darrell Blackburn put a little shine on the number.
Darrell’s from Huntsville’s Butler high school and Spencer Hammond the pride of Rome Ga. were defensive juggernauts. Our honoree is….
#44 Gaithersburg Maryland native Craig Turner who will forever be linked in Alabama football lore. Turner, who earned the nickname “Touch...down” as a fullback for the Crimson Tide in the early 1980’s. We would drive the length of the field and “Touchdown” would come in and dive over the top.
We were playing Georgia Tech in my very first game. I had two great runs which got us down to the goal line. In came Craig “Touchdown” Turner for the score. After the game my mother was upset by this and want to talk to the coach…She thought I should have been rewarded for my effort. I looked at my dad and said, “It’s time to take your wife home. Please explain the team concept on the way.”
Craig played in the final game for the legendary Paul “Bear” Bryant. A portrait of Turner’s historic touchdown against Illinois in the 1982 Liberty Bowl hangs in the basement of his home. Craig "Touchdown" Turner scored the final points in the fourth quarter for Alabama from a 1-yard touchdown run.
Turner left Alabama with memories that have lasted a lifetime. He participated in the 1986 East-West Shrine Game in Hawaii before embarking on a brief stint in the National Football League with Cincinnati and Tampa Bay.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
43 Days: Fred Sington

by Kerry Goode

We salute a few guys that worn the 43 jersey. Wayne Shaw, Mr. MC Hammer himself. I’ll bet he still has a few moves on the dance floor and Sammy Hood the pride of Ider Al.
Our honoree is Fred Sington
... #43 Frederic William Sington from Birmingham, Alabama Phillip's high school played Professional baseball for the Washington Senators(1934–1937) & Brooklyn Dodgers (1938–1939). As a tackle, Fred Sington was a two-time All-American for Alabama, the star of the Crimson Tide's 1930 national championship team. He became so well-known nationally that a hit song was inspired by him. Rudy Vallée wrote a song about Sington, entitled"Football Freddie", that would go on to become a nationwide hit. Here's a version of the song:

https://youtu.be/lXzgEfqky0g

Songwriters took at least one liberty regarding their subject with the line "he's not so good at school." In fact, Sington was noted for his academic excellence, and was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honorary.
He is the only person named to the University of Alabama's All-Century team in both football and baseball, and is a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame and Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. Sington served in the Navy as a lieutenant during World War II, and spent more than 20 years as an SEC football official.
Very few athletes can say that they transcended their sport and became well-known outside the context of the game that made them famous. In order to keep Sington from following going to Hollywood, Alabama president George Denny threatened to expunge his records if he didn't return to Tuscaloosa to finish his degree. Sington was elected student body president for his senior year.
Mr. Sington was also an accomplished saxophonist.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot... The best to wear 43 was call "Pick 6!" We ate at the same table growing up. If you don't know who I'm referring to, check out ESPN's The game the Changed College Football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.