News Article: Is a new candidate going to enter the presidential race?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol sent out a provocative tweet Sunday, calling for a "heads up over this holiday weekend" that another presidential candidate -- an independent -- would be entering the race for the White House.
Kristol said no more Sunday evening, beyond the tweet, which referred to the yet-to-be-named candidate as "an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance."

Donald Trump unleashed a series of tweets in response, insulting Kristol, and both badgering the GOP and calling on the party to unite against this unnamed new opponent. He also implied in his tweets that an independent run would mean a Clinton victory and a liberal nomination to the nation's highest court.

The Washington Post had reported a little over two weeks ago that GOP operatives had mounted an effort to derail Donald Trump by bringing in another conservative candidate. Goldman confirmed that several names were being considered at the time, including former Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and retired Army Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal.
That could make it interesting. Some are speculating Romney?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/weekly-...-candidate-will-compete-in-presidential-race/

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Trump is right about one thing, a conservative independent would probably guarantee a Clinton victory. Can't split the GOP vote anymore then it already is and still have a chance to win. I know I would gladly vote for any of those 3 names before I would vote for Trump or Hillary.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Trump is right about one thing, a conservative independent would probably guarantee a Clinton victory. Can't split the GOP vote anymore then it already is and still have a chance to win. I know I would gladly vote for any of those 3 names before I would vote for Trump or Hillary.
Not necessarily. If no one receives a majority if electoral votes the top 5 names get sent to the house. That way the house could chose the conservative independent over Trump.

Article II
Section 1
The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Kristol said the candidate is impressive, which would rule out Romney.

Also, Coburn is not impressive to me.

The other two are impressive.
I wonder if retired Marine Corp General Mattis is in the mix. From everything I've read about him, yes, that would be impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Mattis

He has never been married and has no children.[1] He is nicknamed "The Warrior Monk" because he devoted his life to studying and fighting war.
Interesting.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol sent out a provocative tweet Sunday, calling for a "heads up over this holiday weekend" that another presidential candidate -- an independent -- would be entering the race for the White House.
Kristol said no more Sunday evening, beyond the tweet, which referred to the yet-to-be-named candidate as "an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance."
Breckenridge?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Dream scenario at this point: Bernie runs as independent and Gary Johnson does well in the general. People realize the false they they are given is false. Neither Clinton nor trump are elected and the major parties Re dealt a serious blow as people realize the power of their vote.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.