Link: Opposing Coach: "Alabama Can be as Good as They Were A Year Ago"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The Lindy’s College Football Southeastern edition again features comments from opposing coaches on each team, and the section on Alabama included comments from an unnamed coach on the 2016 Crimson Tide:

"If they don't get hurt up front on defense, I'm not sure they won't be better on defense with (Jonathan) Allen and (Dalvin) Tomlinson and (Da'Shawn) Hand. They won't have as much depth, but they will have as much talent among the starters. They will be better on the offensive line. They'll be better at wide receiver.

"With the running backs, they can lose an Ingram or a Richardson and have a Lacey or a Yeldon. They will miss Derrick Henry a lot, you always miss somebody like that. But they've got several good backs.

"And (coordinator) Lane Kiffin, he'll find something the quarterback can do and he'll do it. The quarterback will be efficient. They've got players. They've recruited so well, they've got guys stock-piled. They can be as good as they were a year ago — and that's scary."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think the secondary will be improved, as well. Been saying for a while that this years's defense might be even better than last. I'm not even remotely worried about QB / RB, we have sick skill there.

And we have Saban.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Wy they think our oline will be better. We lost Ryan Kelly and Dominick Jackson.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As per usual, there are some question marks the but potential is there.

If the quarterback position can step up (and the potential is there for someone to emerge that doesn't just adequately do the job, but is a game changing talent), it will take a lot of pressure off everything else. The amazing thing thus far is that while Alabama has had good quarterbacks, they've never leaned on them like a lot of other great teams have (Vince Young at Texas, Tim Tebow at Florida, Cam Newton at Auburn, etc...). I'm betting the rest of the college football world trembles in terror at the thought of that happening.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Wy they think our oline will be better. We lost Ryan Kelly and Dominick Jackson.
Kelly is for sure a loss and the ceiling is much higher at right tackle now than at any point last year. I would even go so far as to say we probably could've burned a shirt last year at right tackle and been the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kelly will be tough to replace. No comment otherwise...
While Ryan will be tough to replace right away, I get the sense Ross has a higher ceiling than Ryan did. Just not sure how the lack of experience at the position (all the responsibility the position requires) will slow him down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did some research. This could be the first time under Saban Alabama has more than three starters on the OL either redshirt sophomores or younger in classification. The only time he had three was in 2010.

The belief the OL will be better would be from the players' recruitment because the OL recruiting has picked up over the last few years.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I'm not even remotely worried about QB / RB, we have sick skill there.
You should be. That seems to be the only place where something bad could happen. We were actually +1 in turnovers with a stolen possession against Clemson and won by 5.

It doesn't take much to turn a great season into a good season.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You should be. That seems to be the only place where something bad could happen. We were actually +1 in turnovers with a stolen possession against Clemson and won by 5.

It doesn't take much to turn a great season into a good season.
I get it, but why should I worry? Have our coaches not shown us they are the very best at replacing 'key cogs'?

Nah, not worried. We'll be fine.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Did some research. This could be the first time under Saban Alabama has more than three starters on the OL either redshirt sophomores or younger in classification. The only time he had three was in 2010.

The belief the OL will be better would be from the players' recruitment because the OL recruiting has picked up over the last few years.
I agree it is based on recruiting. If Taylor does not lose weight and get his job back we will be starting 2 sophomores, 2 freshmen (1 true) and 1 junior. That is really young and could lead to growing pains at times. I'm hoping Taylor gets it together and turns into a senior leader which we really need. I know his play was inconsistent last year but his experience will be valuable IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
While Ryan will be tough to replace right away, I get the sense Ross has a higher ceiling than Ryan did. Just not sure how the lack of experience at the position (all the responsibility the position requires) will slow him down.
Higher ceiling than the #18 pick in the NFL draft? Hope you're right..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I watched Kelly get blown up by Ole Miss consistently. I do believe ross will be a more physical presence. I am not sure he will be as good at the mental part yet.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We have quality depth behind our starting D-Line, albeit they may not have game time experience, our 2nd & 3rd team D-L'ers would start at the majority of D-1 schools..It's not like Coach Saban has been sitting on his backside & hasn't brought in the last 3-4 Top Recruiting classes in the Nation..

This team on both sides of the ball has more talent on the roster than any one college team I can remember..Pretty much like the last 5-6 Alabama teams once "The Process" finally took a complete firm hold of Crimson Tide Football & it will only get better until Coach Saban retires..

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I get it, but why should I worry? Have our coaches not shown us they are the very best at replacing 'key cogs'?

Nah, not worried. We'll be fine.
"This".....we see what CLK did with Blake and Jake in just one year.....so...went to the Natty playoffs with one, won the Natty with the other..T'aint worried..:wink:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.