GA News: OnlineAthens - Freshmen will arrive in Athens hoping 'to bring that swagger back to G

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
May 31st, 2016 09:57 AM

Greyson Lambert spent time in Gulf Shores, Ala., and went through graduation ceremonies at his old school, the University of Virginia. Jacob Eason returned home to Washington state and served as a counselor in a quarterback camp in San Diego that included the likes of Clemson’s DeShaun Watson and Texas A&M’s Trevor Knight.
They, along with the rest of the returning players at Georgia, will turn their attention now to summer workouts.
Incoming freshmen join the fold when many report by Wednesday. Summer school begins next week.
NCAA rules now allow for coaches to have eight hours of time with players during the week in the summer including limited meeting time before preseason practices. Coaches can't be on the field with them yet.
“We’ve got some freshmen coming in, probably 14 to 20 guys counting walk-ons, that we’re going to say these guys have to get as much attention as possible,” coach Kirby Smart said. “Reps, reps, reps and reps. We got to see what we had in spring. We had 15 practices to see guys practice. And we told them, this is your opportunity to show us what you can do."
Georgia already had six early enrollees--including Eason--go through spring practices.
Another 16 scholarship newcomers are joining the mix, including graduate transfer offensive tackle Tyler Catalina and five-star athlete Mecole Hardman.
“We’re just trying to bring that swagger back to Georgia,” Hardman said. “That’s what we’re trying to do.”
“We’ll make a pretty good impact,” McEachern wide receiver Tyler Simmons said. “It’s just all a matter of learning and be ready to buy in to what Georgia has going on. It’s something new going on but we’ve got to buy into it first. You just can’t go in expecting to do good just because we’re here now. We’ve got to go in there and actually put in the work on the field and off the field in the classroom, too, to be able to do what we want to do on the field.”
Smart said Tuesday at the first day of the SEC spring meetings in Destin, Fla., that there haven't been any academic casualties "as of yet. We're still gathering information. We're pretty close to where we need to be. There's a couple of guys we're still waiting to get a little bit of information on to see, but I expect everybody to be there."
The first meeting is slated for Wednesday night and workouts will be held before school starts.
"In the summer when these guys go out there, they get to be around the coaches, they get to be around the strength coaches and we want to see what they can do," Smart said. "We want to find out early on who can help our team. I think that’s where a lot of college coaches miss out because a freshman that comes on June 1 can pass up a sophomore or junior by midseason if you give him the opportunity. You’ve got to be able to recognize that talent and recognize that work ethic to figure out who’s going to make your team better.”
Hardman could help on special teams and as a potential playmaker on offense and thinks he can contribute at his primary position of cornerback.
“I think I can come in and play right away if I come in and do what I’m supposed to do,” Hardman said. “I think they need help on the back end. They’re not as deep at DB as everybody thinks they are. Just see how it goes.”
Hardman will room with fellow freshman Elijah Holyfield, a running back who will be needed to help at depth at the position.
Simmons, who flipped from Alabama, will join a Georgia wide receiver corps that has a lot of young, mostly unproven talent.
“Georgia has changed around as far as offense, pass the ball a lot more,” he said. “Of course, we’ll run it a little bit more than we did at G-Day once we have (Nick) Chubb back. We’ve got a great quarterback coming in with me (Eason) and hopefully another one coming in right behind him (Houston County’s) Jake Fromm. We’re looking pretty good at quarterback.”

...READ MORE HERE...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.