GA News: OnlineAthens - Butch Jones bullish on Bulldogs in SEC East

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
May 31st, 2016 04:29 PM

DESTIN, Fla.--Two SEC East head football coaches delivered some downbeat news to their fans on the first day of the league’s spring meetings. Meanwhile, Georgia’s Kirby Smart downplayed Tennessee’s Butch Jones pumping up the Bulldogs.
Jones served first, saying the Bulldogs and Florida will both be contenders in the division.
“I think Georgia is one of the best football teams in our conference,” Jones said. “Not just on the East side but total. …When you look at their skill-set, you look at their lines of scrimmage in their offensive and defensive lines, you look at the success that program has had over a very, very long period of time, they return a number of starters, that’s going to be a challenge
Tennessee overcame a 21-point deficit to beat Georgia 38-31 in Knoxville last season, one of three Bulldog losses on the season, but Smart said Jones may not be up to speed on his team now.
“Since Butch came to none of our spring practices, I don’t know how he would be able to say that,” Smart said. “I do got a lot of respect for the way they play at Tennessee. They’ve got a really good program and they do a good job of making their kids play hard. Last year at Alabama, I thought that was probably the most physical team we’ve played. They came out and really played hard so I’ve got a lot of respect for what they do. As far as his consideration of us, that’s his opinion.”
Tennessee is the trendy pick to win the East this year after going 9-4 and winning its final six games against the soft part of its schedule after starting 3-4.
Florida won the SEC East in the first year under Jim McElwain.
Will Muschamp said South Carolina linebacker Skai Moore, a second-team all-SEC pick, will miss the season due to a herniated disc in his neck. Moore was held out this spring. He will be eligible to redshirt and return in 2017.
McElwain said top wide receiver and an explosive returner Antonio Callway is not enrolled in summer school. He remains indefinitely suspended for a violation of the school’s student code of conduct.
“That’s being handled,” McElwain said.

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.