Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Assistant coach with no experience as Head coach

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I hope a proven Head Coach is hired. This team has tons of talent a proven guy could really turn them around quickly. IMO
Agree 100%. There is talent on the roster, just needs to be utilized and coached up. Remember when Wells became coach is 1995 he took a team to the post season a year after it was pretty bad. I knew several players on that team and they said all they needed was a new regime. I think we will make a regional in 2017 and wouldn't be surprised to see them is a Super Regional or even Omaha.

I saw where Battle said today he wants someone with HC experience, experience recruiting in the South AND ties to UA. Not sure many will fit the 3rd requirement.

The Samford coach makes a good bit of sense. Has experience, has recruited the state and hopefully has good relationships with HS coaches in the state. I know he is a Barner but, IIRC his whole family were BAMA fans....

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I can only think of two who fit Battle's requirements and one of those is retired. The two are Bobby Sprowl who has been extremely successful at Shelton State and Bobby Pierce who retired after last season at Troy after a successful career there. Bobby Sprowl just turned 60 and Bobby Pierce is 57. I don't know that we will want to bring someone in at their ages. I'm sure there are others who fill all three categories but I can't think of them right now.

If you want to look at assistants, I'll throw out Alan Dunn at LSU. Dunn was honored as pitching coach of the year for 2015 and he has experience in the SEC as well as being a former Tide star. I have seen others mention David Magadan. I would love to see Mags come home, but he has no college coaching experience and has not recruited before. Now, a staff with Dunn as head coach/pitching coach and Mags as hitting coach ... I'd be all for that, but I doubt Mags would come here to be hitting coach. One interesting thing about a staff with both Dunn and Mags would be that they were teammates at Bama and would be reunited.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Please drop the idea of an Alabama connection. Why would that matter? Because of the recruiting issue? Beating the bushes is the answer to that. Energy and drive.

For goodness sakes, hire the best guy interested in the job and let's get to work.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I saw several read his statement to mean the state, not UA. Here's the entire statement for those interested:

Ugh... it's a lot harder to pick out a meaning of "state" not "university" now that I've seen the whole statement... Not too thrilled with the options that those bring up.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Two things you don't want to do when hiring a head coach.

A: Hire an assistant merely because he worked under a great coach.
B: Hiring someone primarily because they have ties to the university.

Hiring assistants might be fine in terms of a lesser program taking a long shot. I do not like it as a way to help a program become a contender. It's a huge risk. You take that risk if you have to, but I don't like the idea that you hire a guy and then find out if he's a good head coach. Why would you do that?

As to the second part, I get hiring a guy because they have a connection to one of your great coaches or something along those lines. I get that emotionally, not logically. Just working for someone doesn't make you them.

If you do both of those things, that's how you make hires like Hobbs and Dubose... go out and find a proven head coach, let lesser programs be the training wheels. You hire a guy because of his competence, you don't hire him because who he worked for or where he's from.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If by all that he means Mark Calvi I can live with it. If by that he means he is going to hire someone like Adam Dunn then I am not going to be too happy about it (if CBB somehow figures this connection counters all of the head coaching and experience thing).

Why do I not have more confidence that our AD will make a good hire?

rtr

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
If by all that he means Mark Calvi I can live with it. If by that he means he is going to hire someone like Adam Dunn then I am not going to be too happy about it (if CBB somehow figures this connection counters all of the head coaching and experience thing).

Why do I not have more confidence that our AD will make a good hire?

rtr
Do you mean Alan Dunn? While I agree that a proven head coach is the ideal choice, it is not as simple as making a phone call and having that individual come running. Many factors go into a coach's decision to leave his current job to take a new one. Sometimes, hiring a "proven" head coach doesn't work out either. See: Sunny Golloway, Mike Price, Anthony Grant.

As for the AD making a good hire, I do not share your pessimism. Since becoming AD, Bill Battle has hired four head coaches: Avery Johnson (men's basketball), Kristy Curry (women's basketball), Wes Hart (soccer) and Dana Duckworth (gymnastics). Only one of the four (Dana Duckworth) had ties to UA (or even the State of Alabama for that matter) and she was anointed by Sarah Patterson as her chosen successor. Only one of the four (Kristy Curry) had college head coaching experience prior to the hire. All four programs have shown improvement since the hirings were made. Well, gymnastics hasn't improved, but it has maintained its elite national status so far under Duckworth. I just know this, no matter who is hired, it can't be anything but an improvement over what we have had for the past few years.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Kendall Rogers thinks we might look at Cliff Godwin of ECU also. Guy has done a decent job in his short career.

On a side note, I would love for Dax to get a break in this. He has done a great job at/for Bama.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Godwin wouldn't be bad either. He has done some good things at ECU.

CK, I would like to see Dax stay on staff, but I'm not sure I can make a case for him being "the man"

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Thus far in the regionals, neither Heefner nor Calvi coached teams have shown very much. Doesn't mean anything in regards to their coaching acumen, just that their teams didn't win their openers with the bigger surprise being Dallas Baptist's loss. USA did bounce back today to beat Alabama State by 3.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea to be fair to Calvi he did face Southern Miss who is no joke. At this point I don't think Heefner is on our list. Just my feeling.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Vandy is getting pounded by Xavier. Maybe his players know the coach is leaving and are too upset to play well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Godwin wouldn't be bad either. He has done some good things at ECU.

CK, I would like to see Dax stay on staff, but I'm not sure I can make a case for him being "the man"
I can't argue with on that. He has done a fantastic job from being the hitting coach to the pitching coach. Many catchers who turn to coaching, turn into good coaches. Dax seems like a good well rounded coach.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Vandy is getting pounded by Xavier. Maybe his players know the coach is leaving and are too upset to play well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure Corbin has anything to do with it. Losing a fellow player and friend is difficult. Having to deal with it this time of year can be impossible to overcome for a team. Wish them the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.