Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Assistant coach with no experience as Head coach

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I did not know about the player drowning until after I had made the post. I apologize to anyone who felt I may have been making light of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I did not know about the player drowning until after I had made the post. I apologize to anyone who felt I may have been making light of the situation.

I don't think anyone did (at least not me).

To take it back to Corbin, he has some distinct advantages at Vanderbilt that he would not get here. Matter of fact many schools have advantages that Alabama and Auburn don't have. It is gonna take someone who can take players to the next level, or as some like to say "coach 'em up".

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
To be fair, it wasn't a joke that would make me say "too soon '67" because like you said you didn't know and I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant an apology from you. Many didn't hear as it came out late Thursday night (IIRC) and was posted here but is jumbled in all our new threads. So Crimson1967, I don't think you did anything that was out of line and tasteless because I even agreed with you on the comment.

They just simply played like they didn't want to be out there. I can't say I don't blame them either. My best friend died a week before our graduation in h.s. and I didn't even want to walk at graduation. Luckily baseball season was over or I probably would have quit myself (I was a starter, played 1st and was the #1 pitcher in our rotation) so I can see where they were this weekend in the head.

But I still don't think it was bad. RTR!

I agree CK, Corbin is clearly a hail mary type of coach for us at this point. As hard as it is to dominate college baseball and sending recruits to the pro's better off after 2 or 4 years at Vandy is well proven. I would probably go as far as say he might be close to being the Saban of college baseball at this point. So getting him is a long shot unless we double everything he gets which could be done, but I don't think Battle wants to spend big money with this and that is what scares me. I like to joke about it of course and I think '67 is thinking like I am too.

I am thinking many of our candidates will be available come Monday or Tuesday (pending rainouts)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It never hurts to ask so at least get in contact with his agent if he has one.

I didn't think anybody thought I was making a joke about the player's death, I just wanted to make sure before something got started.

Anyway, after something like this, he may not want to leave right now as the players are dealing with this and he might not want to deal them another blow on top of that disastrous inning yesterday. Maybe in a couple years after the guys who knew him have cycled through, but he may feel an obligation to stay with the team right now.

bamabaseballfan

1st Team
Aug 9, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Greg Goff- Louisiana Tech. Has them in a regional finals in Starkville. Three 40+ win seasons in a row before going to Ruston. He has experience in Alabama. He took Montevallo from doormat to D2 World Series. He was the pitching coach at Kentucky before that.
His teams play hard. They set a national record for team HBP at UM. He always has strong pitching and his teams make things happen on offense instead of waiting (or hoping) for something to happen. He's worth a look.
http://m.latechsports.com/m/sports/m-basebl/mtt/greg_goff_903912.html

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Greg Goff- Louisiana Tech. Has them in a regional finals in Starkville. Three 40+ win seasons in a row before going to Ruston. He has experience in Alabama. He took Montevallo from doormat to D2 World Series. He was the pitching coach at Kentucky before that.
His teams play hard. They set a national record for team HBP at UM. He always has strong pitching and his teams make things happen on offense instead of waiting (or hoping) for something to happen. He's worth a look.
Would be a great hire.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Two things you don't want to do when hiring a head coach.

A: Hire an assistant merely because he worked under a great coach.
B: Hiring someone primarily because they have ties to the university.
Kirby Smart?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Our two worst post-Bryant coaches were first time head coaches.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Goff looks like a very qualified candidate. I would think he is one we would strongly consider with his resume.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I hope the powers that be make a real commitment to baseball. Someone commented about the stadium being half empty (possibly in a different thread). Hire a coach who can put a winning, consistently good program on the field that at the very least legitimately competes for SEC championships and hosts regionals. We can do it. We have done it with lesser facilities.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
Absolutely we can do it. You put a team on the field that competes for an SEC Championship and you will pack the house. Its all about the winning.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Kirby Smart?
I think he's really a perfect example. He's a loyal competent guy in terms of the job he did. But, there is just no way to know for sure if he'll turn out to be a great coach or not.

Georgia really did go out on a limb with the hire. Richt was fairly successful, just didn't get them where they wanted to be. Smart is a Georgia guy and I suppose that had more to do with it than anything else. They are hoping he's both what they want in a coach and that he's someone that would spend a few decades there.

One could argue though that Georgia was in the best position to take that risk. Their program doesn't need to be rebuilt, so that's one burden that Kirby doesn't have, they have the benchmark set and the expectations are clear. Anyway though, I can't really defend the hire beyond that. I think Kirby the hope there is that he's going to be a lifer for them and they should give it a shot. However, from my perspective, if you want to win you go get someone you know can win. It's really very simple.

Look at how well Alabama, Ohio State, South Carolina, etc. did when they hired proven coaches. That isn't a gamble at all.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think he's really a perfect example. He's a loyal competent guy in terms of the job he did. But, there is just no way to know for sure if he'll turn out to be a great coach or not.

Georgia really did go out on a limb with the hire. Richt was fairly successful, just didn't get them where they wanted to be. Smart is a Georgia guy and I suppose that had more to do with it than anything else. They are hoping he's both what they want in a coach and that he's someone that would spend a few decades there.

One could argue though that Georgia was in the best position to take that risk. Their program doesn't need to be rebuilt, so that's one burden that Kirby doesn't have, they have the benchmark set and the expectations are clear. Anyway though, I can't really defend the hire beyond that. I think Kirby the hope there is that he's going to be a lifer for them and they should give it a shot. However, from my perspective, if you want to win you go get someone you know can win. It's really very simple.

Look at how well Alabama, Ohio State, South Carolina, etc. did when they hired proven coaches. That isn't a gamble at all.
Sure, not a gamble at all but those 3 coaches are elite HOF coaches. Look at Strong at TX, Sumlin at A&M, Niehasuel at UCLA, Hoke at Mich. They were all winning big before they took big time jobs and two are gone and two are on hot seats. I agree with you on a proven head coach but it does not always work out.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
For baseball head coach? LOL come on guys, enough talk about football and basketball coaches on the baseball forum. Would love to hear some baseball coach examples of assistants becoming head coach and being successful at a big school. Thanks

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Kevin O'Sullivan stands out. Asst at Clemson under Jack Leggett till '07, then in '08 took over at UF. Think he's been pretty successful there.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Cliff Gustafson (85) and Augie Garrido (78), 'cause not only would they be "stolen away" from Tejas as proven college baseball legends but as a couple of old guys they could also become 'Bama's "College of Coaches Emeriti," a la the '61-'62 Cubs (but with better results).

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Hearing nothing but crickets! Odd that we haven't heard a legit rumor, right?

Is everyone on vacation or somethin'?

rtr

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
For baseball head coach? LOL come on guys, enough talk about football and basketball coaches on the baseball forum.
I'm a big MLB guy but have to confess to not knowing the college ranks all that well. I did actually work in the clubhouse of a professional baseball team for what it's worth, so the game isn't exactly foreign to me. :) I can give a lengthy list of great hires in baseball, basketball and football in terms of going out and getting someone who was a proven winner. I do feel that the more experienced a coach is, the more you know what to expect. Assistants can turn out great, but it's just a bigger gamble.

I'd also add something else. When I say proven, I don't mean coached for 2 or 3 years at a lower level college and won a bit. What did they prove really? Not that much, unless they actually coached a contender. You can't read too much into that either, it just means a bit more than if the guy wasn't a head coach at all.

I'm not saying Alabama can or will end up with a truly proven college coach, just saying it's pretty darn obvious that it is the most foolproof method of getting a winning coach. To give baseball examples, Joe Torre and Bobby Cox who came in to the Yankees and Braves and had great success when they had the right players. They didn't have to learn on their job, they knew how to coach and that's not a given with some hires.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.