The Gary Johnson thread

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Interesting little article. I was not sure where to place this, but the Johnson thread makes sense.
Air Forces considering buying a cheap jet.
This has not been programed, but it looks cheap by comparison, and the test pilot says it feels like an A-10.

Here is what struck me.
The Scorpion is designed to be "below $20 million in acquisition costs, and below $3,000/hour to operate."
The F-35A costs $98 million per unit and $42,200/hour to operate.
Holy smokes. All an enemy has to do is to declare war on us and force the US to fly those darn planes for a while. It will bankrupt the US.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The American military outspends everyone on the planet combined or close to it, they can and should be cut back.
There is room for the to cut spending and still have an effective military. I always like the Abrams Tank example. When you have Army Generals going to Capital Hill begging Congress not to buy anymore because they already more operational tanks than tank crews and Congress buys them anyway because some Congressman's district manufactures them, that's a problem. That money could go elsewhere.

Personally, I wish they'd cut 10% out of every branch and spend it on post war care of veterans in areas like mental health. That's where our military is really lacking. Nobody talks about things like suicide rates being higher than war deaths when you join the military. That's sad.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Interesting little article. I was not sure where to place this, but the Johnson thread makes sense.
This has not been programed, but it looks cheap by comparison, and the test pilot says it feels like an A-20.

Here is what struck me.
Th Scorpion is designed to be "below $20 million in acquisition costs, and below $3,000/hour to operate."
Holy smokes. All an enemy has to do is to declare war on us and force the US to fly those darn planes for a while. It will bankrupt the US.
I saw an article a few months ago about the military dusting off Vietnam era turboprop planes for close air support. They can loiter longer and cheaper than something like a F-35. Plus they fly at slower speeds which helps identify threats better. Not sure why someone can't realize that all the toys in your arsenal don't have to be cutting edge, most expensive in the world to be effective.

Personally I think the F-35 is a boondoggle. Does nothing great and a few things well, but makes a ton of money for Lockheed Martin.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This has not been programed, but it looks cheap by comparison, and the test pilot says it feels like an A-10.

Here is what struck me.
The Scorpion is designed to be "below $20 million in acquisition costs, and below $3,000/hour to operate."
And the next time some country gets in deep trouble (militarily) they can call someone else to help.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw an article a few months ago about the military dusting off Vietnam era turboprop planes for close air support. They can loiter longer and cheaper than something like a F-35. Plus they fly at slower speeds which helps identify threats better. Not sure why someone can't realize that all the toys in your arsenal don't have to be cutting edge, most expensive in the world to be effective.
During the Algerian war, the US gave the French a bunch of T-6G Texans (slower prop planes with a rear seat for an aerial observer, lots of machine guns, rockets and bombs).The French Air Force used them to track down and eliminate incursions from Tunisia. Very effective platform for that role. Of course, it can't dogfight with jet fighters, so the US is not interested.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Here is what struck me.
Reminds me of when Saddam was shooting cheap Scuds at Isreal and we were responding with expensive Patriot SAMs

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Google searches for '3rd party candidate 2016' SKYROCKET during Trump's speech

"Google searches for “3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party candidate 2016” have absolutely skyrocketed this week during the GOP convention, increasing by at least a whopping 10,000 percent (based on the values given by Google).
The undoubted crescendo took place when Donald Trump took the stage Thursday night to formally accept the Republican nomination for president. While he spoke searches shot up to almost three times their highest previous point."

The article is from a conservative site but is backed up by Google stats and links.

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/07/google-searches-for-3rd-party-candidate-skyrocket-during-trumps-speech

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-gary-johnson-fundraiser-20160724-snap-story.html

The email invitation for a Gary Johnson fundraiser hosted by comic Drew Carey called for a “Libertarian comfortable” dress code, which could have been cause for concern. After all, just two months ago, at the Libertarian Party convention, a portly man stripped down to his skivvies and danced onstage for two minutes, with C-SPAN cameras capturing every move.

But on Saturday night, in Carey’s Mediterranean-style villa, “Libertarian comfortable” meant mostly blazers, jeans and cocktail dresses. There were chi-chi appetizers and American flag-themed name badges and a sprinkling of famous faces.

It was an utterly normal political fundraiser, which may be exactly what Johnson needs to help power his utterly abnormal bid to win the White House as a third-party candidate.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
During the Algerian war, the US gave the French a bunch of T-6G Texans (slower prop planes with a rear seat for an aerial observer, lots of machine guns, rockets and bombs).The French Air Force used them to track down and eliminate incursions from Tunisia. Very effective platform for that role. Of course, it can't dogfight with jet fighters, so the US is not interested.
Neither can the F-35

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.oregonlive.com/articles/19017106/gary_johnson_could_snatch_the.amp

Gary Johnson, like many Americans, is socially liberal, fiscally conservative and wants the U.S. to steer clear of foreign wars.

And, in case you didn't know, he's running for president.

The former Republican governor of New Mexico is now the Libertarian Party's standard-bearer, which means no one pays him much mind. But with major-party candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton carrying historically high "unfavorable ratings" in national polls, Johnson and his running mate, former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, have a unique opportunity to jump into the spotlight.

They also have the potential to tip the election one way or the other.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/clinton-724084-trump-johnson.html

[FONT=&quot]This is no pipe dream. Although neither Trump nor Clinton shows any sign of a coming collapse, voter dissatisfaction with these choices remains high. The two are tied at around 40 percent in the polls; at least a third of Republicans are unhappy with Trump, and a quarter of Democrats with Clinton. “In a development not seen in any modern presidential contest, more than half of all voters hold unfavorable views of the two major party candidates and large majorities say neither is honest and trustworthy,” the New York Times reported. “Only half of voters say Mrs. Clinton is prepared to be president, while an astonishing two-thirds say that Mr. Trump is not ready for the job – including four in 10 Republicans.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Both candidates’ nominating conventions were marred by protests and internecine anger, with the outcry even stronger among Bernie Sanders holdouts than Ted Cruz enthusiasts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meanwhile, surveys averaged by RealClearPolitics show that support for second-tier parties is swelling. Green Party nominee Jill Stein has amassed slightly more support than Ralph Nader did with his most recent try – and Johnson, paired with fellow ex-Republican governor William Weld, has climbed to almost 10 percent despite running what could forgivingly be described as an under-the-radar campaign. While Republicans have always feared that Libertarian spoilers will trash their chances come November, it’s clear this time that today’s ideologies are now so fluid that something less lopsided would happen. Even Ross Perot pulled more of his voters from Bill Clinton in 1992 than you’d probably expect.[/FONT]

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The unfavorables of Trump and H might make this the year. Johnson will probably not win, but this may be the best chance since 1856 for a third party (when the "Third Party" was the Republican Party).

Lincoln won in 1860 thanks to the sectional split with the Democrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I can see Johnson's poll number feeding on itself. That is, as more people see his numbers go up, more people will pick him in the following round of polls. It may be a function of how the polls are worded as well. A poll that asks who would you vote for and a poll that asks who would you prefer can have two different answers from the same person.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Lincoln won in 1860 thanks to the sectional split with the Democrats.
Yeah, I thought about 1912, but I think this year will exceed 1912 it the impact a third party has. Hillary is so corrupt and Trump is so divisive, this year might exceed 1912.

By 1860, I would no longer describe the Republicans as a third party.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.