Prediction: If Bama Doesn't, Who Wins the SEC Championship This Year?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I've been thinking about it lately, I think we have one of the most talented teams we've ever had coming back. This defense has the talent to be ever scarier than last year, which is an unreal testament to the strength of our recruiting process. The offense could be lights out, but that all depends on how the new qb adjusts and if the line can gel. The main reason I ask, we've now won the last 2, and 3 in a row is nearly impossible to do. I know If I ran a poll asking who would win the SEC here, Bama would probably rock 95-98% of the vote. So I'm asking outside of the box.

If, heaven forbid, we don't win the SEC this year, who does? Do we win the West and lose in the championship game, or do you think someone else from the West steps up?

From the West, my personal feeling is that LSU has the next best chance this year. Say what you will about Miles, for some reason I feel like he's due for a big season. Their defense is stacked once again, they have talented receivers, and Fournette could have a Heisman quality season. I think LSU is the one team who could come in a bit under the radar, but only If they can get decent play from the qb position. (They also go in the direction of Fournette. If he starts playing timidly to avoid an injury that impacts his draft status, they stand no chance. Think a much bigger Miles Jack type situation.)

From the East, I still don't buy the UT hype, but I think Smart can turn things around quickly at UGA. They have the talent to win it all, but they needed a change of culture. If Smart can implement his version of "The Process," they could be very difficult to beat as well.

What says everyone else?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I've been thinking about it lately, I think we have one of the most talented teams we've ever had coming back. This defense has the talent to be ever scarier than last year, which is an unreal testament to the strength of our recruiting process. The offense could be lights out, but that all depends on how the new qb adjusts and if the line can gel. The main reason I ask, we've now won the last 2, and 3 in a row is nearly impossible to do. I know If I ran a poll asking who would win the SEC here, Bama would probably rock 95-98% of the vote. So I'm asking outside of the box.

If, heaven forbid, we don't win the SEC this year, who does? Do we win the West and lose in the championship game, or do you think someone else from the West steps up?

From the West, my personal feeling is that LSU has the next best chance this year. Say what you will about Miles, for some reason I feel like he's due for a big season. Their defense is stacked once again, they have talented receivers, and Fournette could have a Heisman quality season. I think LSU is the one team who could come in a bit under the radar, but only If they can get decent play from the qb position. (They also go in the direction of Fournette. If he starts playing timidly to avoid an injury that impacts his draft status, they stand no chance. Think a much bigger Miles Jack type situation.)

From the East, I still don't buy the UT hype, but I think Smart can turn things around quickly at UGA. They have the talent to win it all, but they needed a change of culture. If Smart can implement his version of "The Process," they could be very difficult to beat as well.

What says everyone else?
I think whoever wins the west will be SEC champions.

As you have stated, our biggest challenge to winning the west this year will end up being LSU IMO. Lots of motivational chips for them. The thrashing last year, the heartbreaking losses they had on our last 2 trips to the red stick, Fournette with something to prove against us. I think you are spot on with their achilles heel. The wild card is QB play. if they can get consistent play from the QB they will be very tough to beat. If not, we will key on LF like we did last year and it could be another rout.

I had not thought about the Fournette "avoid the injury" factor - that could come into play.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
LSU. It`d better for Les` sake. Too much talent for Les not to be shown the door with anything less than an SECW championship, IMHO.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I don't buy the Tennessee hype either. My best guess is LSU. I think UGA is going to have some growing pains. If Florida finds a QB, look out.
I haven't followed them enough during the off-season, but UF's OL had some problems last year, including a lack of depth. If that hasn't improved significantly, an upgrade at QB may not help all that much. Mac has already made some impressive strides, but they have some work to do before they get back to where they want to be offensively.

If we don't win it, my guess is LSU out of the west. Ole Miss may be a contender, but they've now had 24 seasons to get to the SECCG and haven't managed it yet. I don't see an SEC championship being added to their Walk of Champions :)rofl:) anytime soon. Out of the East, I'll go with Tennessee, just because I don't think UGA will make it in Kirby's first year. LSU wins the SECCG.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
LSU. They've got a ton returning from a very talented team. They still match up with us, player by player, better than any other SEC team. They've got a lot of pent up anger towards Alabama after losing 5 straight. The game is in Baton Rouge. If they can manage their schedule up to that point, and there is no reason they cannot, and figure out a way to beat us, then I think they'll make it through to Atlanta.

I wouldn't buy Ole Miss. Texas A&M and Auburn might be slightly improved, but not good enough. Arkansas and Mississippi State will take a step back. On the other side, its a crap shoot. I think the conference comes down to that LSU/Alabama game the first weekend in November.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Short answer, LSU. If they get decent QB play, it's a two horse race with them for the West (and thus the SEC).

I don't think anyone in the east is good enough to win. I think Tennessee has the best chance, but I'm not sold on Butch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
LSU. On paper, no one in the east looks good. UT must prove they can do it consistently before I buy the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Alabama is out, I like Florida vs. LSU in the SECCG with the Gators winning that game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The last 7 SEC champions are:
Alabama 4
Auburn 2
LSU 1

Go back three more years and LSU has another and UF has two.

So I'll say LSU

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Florida, or if luck holds out for more than a game, Ole Miss has some talent and gets us at home.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
UT must prove they can do it consistently before I buy the hype.

I'm not sold on UT either. They didn't lose to anyone last season that they had no business losing to, but they didn't beat anybody that they shouldn't have either. Until they can win a big game in the 4th quarter, I don't see them winning the SEC. I can see them getting into the SECCG by virtue of what appears to be a very weak, by SEC standards, side of the conference, but certainly not beating us, LSU, or Ole Miss. If it isn't us this year, then I think it's the winner of LSU and Ole Miss, and my guess is LSU.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Dobbs doesn't do it for me at QB. I was shocked that Al.com had him over Kelly as preseason all league QB.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Ga. Bull Dogs over LSU if we don't get there. LSU fell apart at the end of last season but even so LSU will play their best game against Bama. Georgia will be hyped up over getting Smart and will beat Tn but Fl. will figure in the equasion by beating either Tn. or Georgia, probably Tn.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.