LSU policy bans opponents’ bands from performing at half time (UPDATE: Reversed)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: New LSU policy bans opponents’ marching bands from performing at half time

It's kind of funny how it seems that 95%+ of the people that say this are former band people.

For the average - even avid - college football fan, they really couldn't care less about opponents' bands, about the only things they think their own band is good for are pep rallies or playing their fight song(s), and about the only time the band is a part of something memorable about a game is when something unfortunate happens - like someone falling out of the stands or getting run into on the sidelines or, even, on the field during a game.
Totally disagree - marching bands are a huge draw in the B1G, and just about everyone stays in the stands to view the shows.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

It's kind of funny how it seems that 95%+ of the people that say this are former band people.
That makes me a 5%er. I'm used to it.

"That's because you are an engineer. You better be used to it."

True.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

I'd much prefer to believe this is LSU's own lone-school genius move. What I worry is that maybe a deal was done behind the scenes with all the schools who want to get their hands on these extra tickets, and LSU drew the short straw and had to "take one for the team" by being the first to do this.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

We should just take their championship-winning coach from them and win 4 more...

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS

Do you think their band would like to sit in the upper deck visitors end zone section in BDS?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

What does WSIV70 think about this?
Dumb decision. In 2012 I took my then high school freshman son to the Alabama LSU game in BR. He had lacrosse practice that day, so knowing we would get there too late for decent parking, we hooked our bikes to the vehicle. We rode into campus and our route took us by the MDB unloading off the bus. Being gentlemanly, we stopped and watched them exit rather than squeeze thru. My son's eyes were wide open watching the Crimsonettes. Maybe that's why he chose UA??

Last edited:

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

They didn't want the Marching Southerners from JSU to part the stands in Death Valley from the wall of sound like Moses parting the Red Sea.

Stupid rule. But Southerners is going to spend the money on another trip to the National Champonship. Hopefully. :)

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I'd much prefer to believe this is LSU's own lone-school genius move. What I worry is that maybe a deal was done behind the scenes with all the schools who want to get their hands on these extra tickets, and LSU drew the short straw and had to "take one for the team" by being the first to do this.
Interesting thought

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Sounds to me like LSU is in a financial pinch and is looking for a way to save some money. So they put out this notice knowing that other schools will respond in kind when it comes to to their own band. As a result their band won't have to travel to their opponent's schools thus saving them a ton of money.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I say we send the whole band anyway so they can still blast Rammer Jammer after we hand them their butts.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

For the average - even avid - college football fan, they really couldn't care less about opponents' bands, about the only things they think their own band is good for are pep rallies or playing their fight song(s), and about the only time the band is a part of something memorable about a game is when something unfortunate happens - like someone falling out of the stands or getting run into on the sidelines or, even, on the field during a game.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
Dont agree at all. I'm not a band member. Bands are one of the great traditions of college football .

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

Sounds to me like LSU is in a financial pinch and is looking for a way to save some money. So they put out this notice knowing that other schools will respond in kind when it comes to to their own band. As a result their band won't have to travel to their opponent's schools thus saving them a ton of money.
They are in a financial situation, but this has nothing to do with it. They want to take the opposing fan experience out of Tiger Stadium

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

i guess they are getting tired of rammer jammer being played in red stick

Sounds far-fetched, but with those folks, who knows? They have a much higher opinion of their relevance in the big picture of CFB than they actually do, you can bet that Rammer Jammer particularly grates on their wrongfully inflated pride.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

We should allow LSU band to march at BDS at halftime. But without their instruments.
I'm seeing a field full of LSU band people playing their hearts out with their air instruments, to the delight of no one.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Guess they don't wanna get beat in the battle of the bands at half-time..Having their football team beat on the football field is the only loss the "Corn Dog Nation" can endure on Saturdays during SEC Play..LOL

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

My take as well. They travel their band to only one game a year. Probably wanted to get out of that one. This is the perfect excuse to do so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.