LSU policy bans opponents’ bands from performing at half time (UPDATE: Reversed)

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Re: New LSU policy bans opponents’ marching bands from performing at half time

Let them march at BDS but the MDB plays RJ the entire time they are on the field ;)

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL

Jacksonville State visits this year, so the Southerners won't take the field in Red Stick, I guess.

Their loss.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah, their director has already stated that they will save the $120,000 cost and not attend at all. They will use it for a return trip to the National Championship. Hopefully. :)

http://www.wafb.com/story/32195457/...su-game-due-to-ban-on-visiting-halftime-bands
I know LSWho has lots more talent, BUT I'll be pulling for an UPSET in that game. Maybe the rain will be coming down so hard that Leonard Fournette fumbles every time he carries the ball and JSU picks it up every time and scores a TD!!!!!!! P.S. Let the wind be blowing hard to help with interceptions when LSWho has the ball.

And just to think, in playoffs/championship games (if Bama can't be there) I always pull for SEC teams EXCEPT the Albarn plainsmen, peaceful eagles, aka tigers. I was flipping between A & M vs TCU and LSU vs Coastal Carolina last night. I was pulling for the Aggies and the LSWho tigers! I won't be doing that today. I've just become a Coastal Carolina baseball fan!!!!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Look, my first degree is in music education, but I honestly don't care. Yes, bands have long been a college football tradition - so, too, were OU-Nebraska games, ties, and Notre Dame getting voted undeserved national championships, but we got rid of those things and pressed on.

However.....if this is just a money grab for extra seats, just come out and say so.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Simple answer. Return the favor. I would not allow their band to play at halftime in BDS. So we have anymore simple issues we need fixed? We can sure do it.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

No room huh? So actually when LSU's band comes down for their performance their gonna enter the field and go behind their players and wait, while the opposing team's band sits in the stands and the opposing team has "all that extra room" behind them where their band is not. i.e. not fixing the problem because LSU's band is still on the field behind the LSU players or in the back of the endzone. That makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

Any stadium can pipe in overly loud music du-jour. But it takes a real school to bring a high quality marching band to play live music. The statement about safety is a complete lie. Clearly LSU wants the money from the seats, which is just sad. I've been to NFL games, and without a band in the stadium, there's just something missing. I think whoever made this decision is forgetting football is really for the fans and the kids in the school, not just for revenue.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

It's kind of funny how it seems that 95%+ of the people that say this are former band people.

For the average - even avid - college football fan, they really couldn't care less about opponents' bands, about the only things they think their own band is good for are pep rallies or playing their fight song(s), and about the only time the band is a part of something memorable about a game is when something unfortunate happens - like someone falling out of the stands or getting run into on the sidelines or, even, on the field during a game.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
Dont agree at all. I'm not a band member. Bands are one of the great traditions of college football .
I disagree with this post and I am not a former band member. I really enjoy our band, and I like when the opponent's full band performs at halftime.(UT and Auburn are usually the only ones....even though last year I believe Middle Tennessee brought their full band) Bands are part of the great atmosphere of college football!

You can disagree and dislike all you want, I'm just saying it like it is.

If you polled every person at a Bama game in BDS, told them that the next weekend UA wasn't going to have the Million Dollar Band in the stadium at all, and asked them if they cared I'm sure the majority would say that they did care.

How many of them would be willing to tear up their tickets and stay home that next weekend out of protest? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Yes, the bands are a tradition and are a part of the pageantry of college football but most college football fans don't care THAT much because they don't see the bands as actually being a part of the game. If they did, then they would be willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Now, if you threatened to mess with the actual game itself, proposing - for example - to expressly limit or remove the ability to run the ball and/or play defense, you would find many, many more people willing to boycott a game to express how much they care about that.

Heck, you'd probably be able to find more people willing to boycott a Bama game over a proposed uniform change than the absence of the bands.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Heck, you'd probably be able to find more people willing to boycott a Bama game over a proposed uniform change than the absence of the bands.
We should NEVER change the team's uniforms. Let the MDB go with ridiculous fads when it comes to uniforms.

Case in point:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

How many of them would be willing to tear up their tickets and stay home that next weekend out of protest? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Yes, the bands are a tradition and are a part of the pageantry of college football but most college football fans don't care THAT much because they don't see the bands as actually being a part of the game. If they did, then they would be willing to put their money where their mouth is.
One can care about both football and the marching bands, right? Why must one be willing to totally boycott one in support of the other to demonstrate that they really care? I love the Ohio State marching band and have paid to see them perform at other events. But I would not boycott Ohio State football over something like this.

Why would I further punish myself by missing out on two of the things that I love instead of just one?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Meh, I get it. Count me as a 5%er too I love the pageantry of the bands.

That said, JSU has been mentioned a few times. While very good they are easily the most obnoxious band year in and year out I have ever experienced. I've seen them several times at different events. Both of my daughters were major band geeks (their words not mine) and considered going there just to be in that band. Without exception they constantly play over the other band, their show usually runs long, and they keep playing after the game even when they lose. I remember one year at a Mississippi State game, they even played over the MSU band's end of game fight song (MSU beat them badly). We left after the game was over and walked to Stromboli's and could still hear them playing in the stadium most of the way.

That would be the only band I would actually enjoy seeing get that treatment.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

You can disagree and dislike all you want, I'm just saying it like it is.

If you polled every person at a Bama game in BDS, told them that the next weekend UA wasn't going to have the Million Dollar Band in the stadium at all, and asked them if they cared I'm sure the majority would say that they did care.

Now, if you threatened to mess with the actual game itself, proposing - for example - to expressly limit or remove the ability to run the ball and/or play defense, you would find many, many more people willing to boycott a game to express how much they care about that.

I would quit going to games if the MDB ceased to exist. Of course, that's easy for me to say because I don't have season tickets and rarely get to go as it is. I love the halftime shows, and I love their presence in the stands during the game. Heck, I love hearing them fire up Yea Alabama after a TD when I'm watching on TV. I also love all the other bands. It's a part of college football that I would hate to do without. It's the lack of such pageantry that makes the pro game boring and bland to me, and why I watch it far less than I do the college game.

I suspect your numbers are way off.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I was a little afraid that this issue would interplay with the poll of readmission of LSU fans we've been planning... :)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I was a little afraid that this issue would interplay with the poll of readmission of LSU fans we've been planning... :)
I thought maybe the ban on our band was in response to Tidefans ban of LSU fans :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.