LSU policy bans opponents’ bands from performing at half time (UPDATE: Reversed)

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
LSU policy bans opponents’ bands from performing at half time (UPDATE: Reversed)

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/1...s-from-halftime-performances-at-tiger-stadium

“It’s a safety issue,” Bonnette told The Advocate. “We don’t have room down there for both bands. In order for bands to perform at half, they’ve got to come down to the field before the first half ends. That’s a lot of people on the sideline.”

"Bonnette declined comment when asked whether there have been any sideline incidents between opposing band members or between band members and LSU fans. None has been reported, but the new policy would prevent potential skirmishes."

"The decision likely means Southeastern Conference schools, like Alabama, will no longer travel their full band to LSU games. The co-director for Alabama’s Million Dollar Band, in a post on Facebook, said the school would only send a small pep band as a result of the new policy."

Yup, I already see what this is about. They make it impossible for you to like them. Rudest bunch of people i've ever been around. And yes, I speak from multiple trips to Tiger Stadium

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: New LSU policy bans opponents’ marching bands from performing at half time

Alabama should disallow LSU to bring their band to Bryant-Denny. Yes they are a rude and vulgar bunch.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

To be clear, they aren't banning opposing bands from coming. You just can't go down to the field and perform at halftime.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I think they did this to retaliate because LSU fans are not allowed to post here at TideFans.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i guess they are getting tired of rammer jammer being played in red stick

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

To be clear, they aren't banning opposing bands from coming. You just can't go down to the field and perform at halftime.
They might as well have. 400 more seats for who? Bama fans or corndog fans?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Un American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

They might as well have. 400 more seats for who? Bama fans or corndog fans?
The way I understand it is, each school has an agreement with each other and provides the same amount of tickets to each other. Alabama receives the full allotment from the other school and distributes to the band, students, players family, coaches wives, season ticket holders, etc. We will still take a pep band and distribute the extra tickets elsewhere.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

We should allow LSU band to march at BDS at halftime. But without their instruments.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

They're hurting LSU's band because every school will respond in kind to this decision when it is time for their return visit.

The games schools play with the bands like putting them in the upper deck or lacking seating always get paid back and the band members are the ones who suffer.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

College bands are barely relevant in the stands today because of the piped-in music, and now LSU contributes to the decline by making them less relevant on the field.

MDB Alumnus: 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007

College bands are barely relevant in the stands today because of the piped-in music, and now LSU contributes to the decline by making them less relevant on the field.

MDB Alumnus: 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989.

It really is sad, as the bands are a huge part of the pageantry of college football....btw, marched snare in '86 and '87!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

It really is sad, as the bands are a huge part of the pageantry of college football....btw, marched snare in '86 and '87!
Maybe we should ban their football team from being on the B-DS field during a game. Or maybe we should charge a fee for them to be there like $1 million per player. Isn't the traveling squad about 70 players? So, $70 million for them being here for a game against the Crimson Tide. Plus charge a Coach fee, Coach Miles must pay $100 million to be there on the field or $125 million in the press box and $5 million for each assistant coach. If this sounds ridiculous, then look again at what LSWho is doing to visiting bands like the MDB!

On 2nd thought, just request that LSWho join the Big 12-2+1!!!!!!! Then we wouldn't have to deal with corndogs!!!!!!!

What does WSIV70 think about this?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

This is a pitiful excuse. The real reason is the band tramples the grass Les munches on during the game.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

It's kind of funny how it seems that 95%+ of the people that say this are former band people.

For the average - even avid - college football fan, they really couldn't care less about opponents' bands, about the only things they think their own band is good for are pep rallies or playing their fight song(s), and about the only time the band is a part of something memorable about a game is when something unfortunate happens - like someone falling out of the stands or getting run into on the sidelines or, even, on the field during a game.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I love it when the opposing team brings their full band and performs at halftime. I hope we continue to allow bands to perform at BDS. Just don't allow the LSU band to perform. The only places the full MDB now travels to are Auburn and Tennessee. Maybe they can start travelling to one other place since LSU has put this new stupid policy into effect.
(Of course the band gets to travel to the neutral site game....and the SEC Championship game and CFB Playoff games.:)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

It's kind of funny how it seems that 95%+ of the people that say this are former band people.

For the average - even avid - college football fan, they really couldn't care less about opponents' bands, about the only things they think their own band is good for are pep rallies or playing their fight song(s), and about the only time the band is a part of something memorable about a game is when something unfortunate happens - like someone falling out of the stands or getting run into on the sidelines or, even, on the field during a game.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
I disagree with this post and I am not a former band member. I really enjoy our band, and I like when the opponent's full band performs at halftime.(UT and Auburn are usually the only ones....even though last year I believe Middle Tennessee brought their full band) Bands are part of the great atmosphere of college football!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.