LSU policy bans opponents’ bands from performing at half time (UPDATE: Reversed)

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Re: New LSU policy bans opponents’ marching bands from performing at half time

It's just a sign of the times and truly sad, but marching bands will disappear in the not to distant future. There's just too much money spent on them and too much revenue lost on the seats they sit in. It's all about money, money, money. I wonder how long it will be before the NCAA signs a contract with the NFL to make the minor leagues thing official. Then we can have Drake and Tyga do the half-time show instead of a stupid band. Maybe Kylie and Kendall can prance around in some skimpy outfits too.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

Somehow, I think this decision will backfire on LSU.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

Meh, I get it. Count me as a 5%er too I love the pageantry of the bands.

That said, JSU has been mentioned a few times. While very good they are easily the most obnoxious band year in and year out I have ever experienced. I've seen them several times at different events. Both of my daughters were major band geeks (their words not mine) and considered going there just to be in that band. Without exception they constantly play over the other band, their show usually runs long, and they keep playing after the game even when they lose. I remember one year at a Mississippi State game, they even played over the MSU band's end of game fight song (MSU beat them badly). We left after the game was over and walked to Stromboli's and could still hear them playing in the stadium most of the way.

That would be the only band I would actually enjoy seeing get that treatment.
I'm sorry you feel that way, mittman. It was not this way when I marched, but it was over 30 years ago. I rarely go to games. I mostly watch them on espn3 if available. Most of the time I don't think the visiting team's band even makes the trip since many of the schools in the OVC are so far apart. It is customary to play after a game, win or lose, in the band world. At least the world I was in.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I was in the MDB for 3 years. Going to other SEC stadiums, being a part of the fanbase representing the school on the road, and marching in new places was definitely a big incentive for going through those hot August days.

What LSU is doing will hurt the opposing school's band members because no one can justify the cost for a full-band trip without pregame and/or halftime participation on the field. The sad part is that they're spiting their own band members because all the opposing SEC schools are going to respond in kind. It is a lame excuse. We've made it through nearly a century of marching bands without it being a huge issue. LSU just wants to amp up their home field advantage more than it already is now by discouraging full-band travel from opponents.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It's been reversed and the bands can go.

Per SDS.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Physical and IT security people...so dang insufferable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Did LSU's field layout in relation to the stands change with their recent expansion? Why was this just now a problem? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but the fact that it was never an issue before doesn't allow me to do that.

I'm glad they seem to have figured out a solution, though.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Sounds to me like they tested the wind and found it blowing hard in their face.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

What a load of hogwash. Safety issues. It took them how many years to figure out that excuse?

Excuse me, but our HS band has over 800 members. So, how do we manage to get our band, on and off the field, along with the other school's band? Without incident, might I add.

Any time I see "risk management" I think "what are the slime-ball lawyers trying to cover up?"

No offense to the lawyers who are not slime-balls.

(Yes, I have a personal involvement with "slime-ball risk management lawyers", from back in the day when I had a real job. No love lost between us. Unfortunately, the good lawyers were unable to combat a rigged system.)

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

I hate to admit that the corndogs have a point, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHIqls5Fiec

IIRC, that was a band equipment cart.
I see. You're right, as nobody gets hurt during a football game unless there's a band cart involved.

There's a way around that problem too, no band carts/equipment until after the half has stopped.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.