Link: Florence, Alabama Vandy recruit drafted 7th

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Marlins draft Garrett seventh overall

FLORENCE — Brax Garrett didn’t get much sleep Wednesday night.

He tried to watch a movie until he fell asleep, knowing Thursday would likely change his life forever.

He was right.

The Florence High School pitcher was taken seventh overall by the Miami Marlins in the Major League Baseball draft Thursday night. The assigned value for that picks is $3,756,300, though his advisor Scott Boras could negotiate a better deal.

However, it might be for naught if Garrett decides to stick with his college commitment after signing with Vanderbilt earlier this year.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Braxton spent many years in Prattville, in fact my wife taught him and his siblings in elementary school. I hope Brax gets a bucketful of money and goes pro instead of to Vandy, although he can't go wrong either way. We're happy for him and his parents.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Braxton spent many years in Prattville, in fact my wife taught him and his siblings in elementary school. I hope Brax gets a bucketful of money and goes pro instead of to Vandy, although he can't go wrong either way. We're happy for him and his parents.
Boras is a snake and will use that Vandy scholarship to get him closer to $4MM. Kid has to take it... Even after giving Boras his 10% and paying taxes, he'll still have about $2.2MM. Even if his career goes nowhere, he is set for life as long as he doesn't have a posse he is supporting.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Boras is a snake and will use that Vandy scholarship to get him closer to $4MM. Kid has to take it... Even after giving Boras his 10% and paying taxes, he'll still have about $2.2MM. Even if his career goes nowhere, he is set for life as long as he doesn't have a posse he is supporting.
I would agree. That's pretty good money. There was a guy from Sylacauga that was a year older than me. I think they won 3 straight 5A titles in baseball but he was the nastiest catch I ever seen. It was like he picked everything, nobody could hardly steal on him, and during our county tourney I watched him slide into the fence on a wild pitch and threw the kid out at 2nd trying to advance on a string. Even though we were happy for him signing his bonus was only like 175k and he was out of baseball after the Phillies drafted about 3 years later? Maybe a few more I forget. That wasn't a lot of money even then to bet everything on it now that I look at it. He was committed to UAB and I truly think at least 2 years there would have helped him more than the Single A affiliate he went to.

But that's life.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I would agree. That's pretty good money. There was a guy from Sylacauga that was a year older than me. I think they won 3 straight 5A titles in baseball but he was the nastiest catch I ever seen. It was like he picked everything, nobody could hardly steal on him, and during our county tourney I watched him slide into the fence on a wild pitch and threw the kid out at 2nd trying to advance on a string. Even though we were happy for him signing his bonus was only like 175k and he was out of baseball after the Phillies drafted about 3 years later? Maybe a few more I forget. That wasn't a lot of money even then to bet everything on it now that I look at it. He was committed to UAB and I truly think at least 2 years there would have helped him more than the Single A affiliate he went to.

But that's life.
Was that Jeremiah Averett?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If you get drafted that high, you take the money. There's just no good reason not to. He can still attend school, it doesn't really close any options for him. I've been around minor leaguers, not everyone gets a chance to get the big paycheck. Some of those guys end up having to work side jobs and drive beat up used car. You get the big money, you take it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He Steve Garrett's son? Coach Garrett was at the high school when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
He Steve Garrett's son? Coach Garrett was at the high school when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, he is. Coach Garrett is at Florence now, but you probably know that, however I think his mom may still be here.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
My son's team has played FHS in the first round of the playoffs the last 2 years and swept them both times. :) Austin came out after game one this years and said "if that's not a major league hook, one don't exist"...then said "and he still ain't struck me out" ;)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just saw this on Twitter from a Times Daily reporter:

Breaking: Florence pitcher Brax Garrett has signed with the Miami Marlins for $4,145,900. He's the fifth highest paid draftee in the class.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.