Big 12 could re-seed divisions annually

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If they are going to play a conference championship game, I couldn't care less how they choose the representatives from year to year. Their conference, their choice. I wouldn't want the B1G doing this, but that isn't even being considered.
I will say this: I think it's hilarious that every Big 12 championship will be a rematch, yet all the OSU (the one in Oklahoma, not the real one) folks in 2011 kept saying "We've already seen Bama play LSU"

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I will say this: I think it's hilarious that every Big 12 championship will be a rematch, yet all the OSU (the one in Oklahoma, not the real one) folks in 2011 kept saying "We've already seen Bama play LSU"
Apparently the requirement to play a round robin schedule is in effect only if they choose to play the top two teams in their CCG. Which is why they won't allow the SEC to do that because they can't play a round robin.

That would be why they are considering going to divisions. Probably will play a seven conference game schedule.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Reseeding the conference every year sure seems like a solution in search of a problem. I could see reseeding the conference every 5 or so years based upon the expected strength of schools/average rankings or whatever. But, every year would make traveling and logistics really tough.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Obviously, my roots are in the old Big 8. OU lost 3 long time traditional opponents when CU, Nebraska, & Mizzou. While A&M came from the SWC they were a good rival. Now, except for Texas & Oklahoma State, we have few rivalries that are considered rabid or traditional. The idea of re-seeding is intriguing and would still allow for a "one true champion" set up. The CCG is all about the extra money. I do not think re-seeding makes any sense for other conferences but its hard to divide the current Big 12 into divisions so re-seeding does make some sense.
owen, I have a question for you. It's hard to really find anything on this when searching online. Why wasn't there some consideration given to having Nebraska/OU be a permanent cross-division game when the Big 12 was created in 1996? It made sense to divide the conference like the did, North/South and place the Oklahoma schools with the Texas schools. What doesn't make sense to me, at least, is the cross division format they chose to use. Three on, three off, playing a home and home with 3 schools from the other division, then a home and home with the other 3. So in 4 years, you've played home and homes vs all 6 schools. That's nice and all, but it destroyed that Nebraska/OU yearly game. Why didn't they choose a format more like the SEC's which protected rivalries with teams in opposite divisions? The game would have probably needed to be moved up from its usual late November date so as to avoid a potential rematch the next week in the conference title game, but still. Moving it seems better than losing it on a yearly basis.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not sure it would have ultimately saved the Big 12. But it seems to be one of the things that stuck in Nebraska's craw. It really hurt them, IMO. The Colorado rivalry always seemed a bit forced to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.