Big 12 could re-seed divisions annually

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
"It differentiates us as a league. It keeps the league really vibrant, exciting and fresh. I think if we do that, other leagues will say 'Wow, that's a really neat idea.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...dea-for-big-12-to-re-seed-divisions-annually/

If the SEC did that then this year the divisions would look like this, seeded according to conference record and overall record as tie breaker.

East: Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi St, Auburn, Vanderbilt and S Carolina.

West: Alabama, Mississippi, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Kentucky and Missouri.

Can't you hear the whining from all sides if this were to catch on? Imagine if we did not seed by record but by a committee as the CFP? Whoa, now that would be a hoot.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Every time I think the Little 12 has reached the epitome of stupid, they surpass it by Beamon-esque proportions.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Would entail some logistical issues to work through, but it's an interesting idea.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Would entail some logistical issues to work through, but it's an interesting idea.
Yes, interesting. When I read the quote about keeping a league " really vibrant, exciting and fresh" and making the other conferences go "wow" I was not surprised. In the SEC we had rather smash you in the mouth. The Big 12 wants vibrancy and the wow factor. Stability vs. "Wow."

I am thinking rearranging the teams each year is not North vs South or East vs West. It is 1/2 parity vs the other half parity.

I noticed the Sun Belt has changed their mind as well and now will divide into two 5 team divisions for next season.

Here is an idea for wow. Let Jim Harbaugh be the B12 conference commissioner. Image the wow he could come up with.

Imagine the possibilities:

2015 SEC West Champ: Alabama
2016 SEC East Champ: Alabama
2017 SEC East Champ: LSU
2018 SEC West Champ: LSU

Oh yes, now that is vibrant.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Every time I think the Little 12 has reached the epitome of stupid, they surpass it by Beamon-esque proportions.
Every time I think of the Big 12 having 10 teams, I really think someone is lacking in intelligence!!!!!!! Idiots/morons/imbeciles come to mind in my thinking.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I actually think it's a good idea for the Big XII.

In the SEC, we have a large number of historically good programs which are geographically dispersed fairly well and most of our programs have good facilities with avid fans and are capable of making a run at a conference championship in any given year. As a result, even though the cyclical nature of college football will result in spans where the East is stronger or the West is stronger, our conference generally remains well balanced between the divisions.

The Big XII is not so lucky,

We also have a lot of teams with multiple, big-time, traditional, conference rivalry games which would make such an approach all but impossible. The Big XII does not have this problem.

I could see this both working just fine and actually being a benefit to the Big XII - if they were to do it correctly.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, it's a nice idea for the current Big 12, but none of the other conferences are going to be wowed by it. Particularly because they all have kept their act together over the years and aren't forced to reduce themselves to such antics in order to remain viable. But sure, have fun with that Big 12.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Maybe they could look at playing two hand tag vice tackle football. I mean, that would wow a lot of folks.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This idea isn't as dumb as I first thought. The Big XII isn't as steeped in tradition as the other P5 conferences or even as much as some of the G5 ones. It was formed by combining two leagues and has seen changes since it was founded only 20 years ago. And if they stay at ten teams, they will either play a full round robin or skip just one opponent, so it won't mess up scheduling that much.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Whatever helps them stick together too, I guess. I don't like 14 team conferences, and would rather not go to 16. I also do not see any viable candidates among the Big 12 membership for addition to the SEC, should things hit the fan again. From the Big Ten, Pac 12, and ACC's perspectives I do. So, the chances are if Texas and/or Oklahoma decide to bolt, then the SEC is going to get left with only 14 teams while the Big Ten and Pac 12 will expand. The ACC might do so as well. I prefer the status quo.

Before anyone asks why... Texas is a cancer. I don't want them in the SEC. I suspect A&M doesn't either. I also suspect they would never join the SEC due to academic elitism. Oklahoma fits in just fine in the grand scheme of things, but they would make the toughest football conference even tougher. Their softball team seems to have our number as well though they did knock off Auburn so there's that. No one else in the conference brings anything to the table as far as SEC expansion goes. Maybe Kansas with the basketball prowess and giving Missouri their rivalry game back.

I'm rambling but the point of my post is that I favor keeping the Big 12 intact.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Whatever helps them stick together too, I guess. I don't like 14 team conferences, and would rather not go to 16. I also do not see any viable candidates among the Big 12 membership for addition to the SEC, should things hit the fan again. From the Big Ten, Pac 12, and ACC's perspectives I do. So, the chances are if Texas and/or Oklahoma decide to bolt, then the SEC is going to get left with only 14 teams while the Big Ten and Pac 12 will expand. The ACC might do so as well. I prefer the status quo.

Before anyone asks why... Texas is a cancer. I don't want them in the SEC. I suspect A&M doesn't either. I also suspect they would never join the SEC due to academic elitism. Oklahoma fits in just fine in the grand scheme of things, but they would make the toughest football conference even tougher. Their softball team seems to have our number as well though they did knock off Auburn so there's that. No one else in the conference brings anything to the table as far as SEC expansion goes. Maybe Kansas with the basketball prowess and giving Missouri their rivalry game back.

I'm rambling but the point of my post is that I favor keeping the Big 12 intact.
Unless ESPN yanks LHN out from under them, I don't see Texas joining any other conference (don't think any other power 5 conference would allow them to keep it). If the big 12 were to fold its tent and merge into other conferences I suspect the Horns would go independent.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they are going to play a conference championship game, I couldn't care less how they choose the representatives from year to year. Their conference, their choice. I wouldn't want the B1G doing this, but that isn't even being considered.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Obviously, my roots are in the old Big 8. OU lost 3 long time traditional opponents when CU, Nebraska, & Mizzou. While A&M came from the SWC they were a good rival. Now, except for Texas & Oklahoma State, we have few rivalries that are considered rabid or traditional. The idea of re-seeding is intriguing and would still allow for a "one true champion" set up. The CCG is all about the extra money. I do not think re-seeding makes any sense for other conferences but its hard to divide the current Big 12 into divisions so re-seeding does make some sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.