Status
Not open for further replies.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Re: Suspected Islamic Terrorist Slaughters 20 at Orlando Gay Nightclub

you want to start another thread I am there. Happily

but its not for this thread and on this issue because this issue has noting to do with atheism, NOTHING

please start another thread and we'll have fun there

until then I will hold that this particular deluded fool killed 50 people to please his imaginary friend
You keep saying it has nothing to do with atheism and then you throw atheism in his face.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Banning assault rifles wouldn't prevent every bad guy from getting one. But making it orders of magnitude harder to acquire them would reduce the number of bad guys with access. And I'd argue that's a positive thing.

As you've already said, people obviously don't walk around with concealed carry assault rifles, and it's unreasonable to imagine that ever happening. But if the justification for citizen-owned assault rifles is that the government may one day break down and the country descend into some dystopian anarchic state -- that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
When riots and natural disasters inevitably happen there is anarchy and - as in my above post - sometimes government tyranny. It's not a hypothetical. It's happened.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama

Legitimate question for the 2nd Amendment historical scholars here: when and how were limits or definitions applied to the wording? Personal weaponry has advanced far beyond single-shot muskets, obviously, but we don't allow people to walk around with bombs or shoulder-fired rocket launchers. How were some items excluded from 2nd Amendment protection and others weren't?
Now that is a great question. I am eager to hear the answer to this as well.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

OK here's what we know so far....

The shooter was:

1) a security guard

2) a Muslim

3) used an AR 15

Question...so where does the problem lie?

1) security guards

2) Muslims

3) AR 15 rifles

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

you want to start another thread I am there. Happily

but its not for this thread and on this issue because this issue has noting to do with atheism, NOTHING

please start another thread and we'll have fun there

until then I will hold that this particular deluded fool killed 50 people to please his imaginary friend
It also has nothing to do with Christianity or Buddhism or religion more widely but in this specific case has to do with Islam. Islam. That's it. Nothing more. So why don't you stop there instead? Again, you are not being logical at all. You want your cake and to eat it too.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

The horses are already out of the barn. AR's have been manufactured and sold since Vietnam. A private citizen could walk into a gun shop and buy the full auto version until 1986. We already had a ban on assault rifles one time and it had zero effect on crime. We should probably look at the people holding the rifle a little more closely, instead of their tool.
Very true, and that was one of the big problems with Bush's assault rifle ban; there won't be a good solution for it. But I'd argue that, if the bathtub is overflowing, the first step is turning off the faucet.

And I completely agree that more detailed background checks on individuals seeking to purchase guns (and closing loopholes preventing these checks) is an obvious and pressing need.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

When riots and natural disasters inevitably happen there is anarchy and - as in my above post - sometimes government tyranny. It's not a hypothetical. It's happened.
Fair enough. I don't personally consider that 25-year-old example to be a compelling reason, but I can see how you and others might.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

You keep saying it has nothing to do with atheism and then you throw atheism in his face.
Don't bother. Someone countered his central statement, and he didn't like being challenged by hard evidence going against his stance.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama

Very true, and that was one of the big problems with Bush's assault rifle ban; there won't be a good solution for it. But I'd argue that, if the bathtub is overflowing, the first step is turning off the faucet.

And I completely agree that more detailed background checks on individuals seeking to purchase guns (and closing loopholes preventing these checks) is an obvious and pressing need.
Clinton signed it into law, Bush let it expire. We already know that turning the faucet off doesn't work though. Also background checks, even more extensive ones, would not have prevented any shooting from taking place, even Roof. It would have prevented him from buying a gun legally, that is all. I am not aware of any loopholes in the law when it comes to gun purchases. IF you are talking straw man or gun show sales, there is no way to prevent either.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

It also has nothing to do with Christianity or Buddhism or religion more widely but in this specific case has to do with Islam. Islam. That's it. Nothing more. So why don't you stop there instead? Again, you are not being logical at all. You want your cake and to eat it too.
because Christianity has the exact same problem

as do many other religions

and that problem is that they see certain murders as perfectly acceptable. Killing gays? fine, Ted Cruz gladly accepted the support of several Christian Preachers during this very election season that have advocated killing gays in the name of their imaginary friend. Robert Dear walked into a planned parenthood for the exact same reason, his mind was warped by religion

Is Islam worse in this regard? Absolutely of that there is no question

Is Buddhism better than Christianity in this regard, absolutely, no question though they too have had their issues (see Sri Lanka and The Japanese Empire for excellent examples)

They all share 1 incredible flaw and that is the idea the Death isn't the end and that you can be rewarded posthumously for committing atrocities in this life. That flaw is baked into most religions and it's time that we see it for what it is

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Clinton signed it into law, Bush let it expire. We already know that turning the faucet off doesn't work though. Also background checks, even more extensive ones, would not have prevented any shooting from taking place, even Roof. It would have prevented him from buying a gun legally, that is all. I am not aware of any loopholes in the law when it comes to gun purchases. IF you are talking straw man or gun show sales, there is no way to prevent either.
IIRC (and I do), Columbine occurred under Clinton's watch when this ban was still in place and had been for several years. It had no effect.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

and that problem is that they see certain murders as perfectly acceptable. Killing gays? fine, Ted Cruz gladly accepted the support of several Christian Preachers during this very election season that have advocated killing gays in the name of their imaginary friend. Robert Dear walked into a planned parenthood for the exact same reason, his mind was warped by religion

Is Buddhism better than Christianity in this regard, absolutely, no question though they too have had their issues (see Sri Lanka and The Japanese Empire for excellent examples)

They all share 1 incredible flaw and that is the idea the Death isn't the end and that you can be rewarded posthumously for committing atrocities in this life. That flaw is baked into most religions and it's time that we see it for what it is
As does violent atheism. Yet you ignore it.

ETA: And atheism says there is nothing sacred about life and no consequence in a nonexistent afterlife - only what is here and now. So it seems that can be destructive as well. What shall we do about that?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Ok since you keep opening Pandora's box on how ousting religion is solving the problem, then it's only fair to talk about the 2 decade reign of Stalin. So how was religion involved in that.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

"his mind was warped by religion"

His mind was warped by those who abused their religion.

"you can be rewarded posthumously for committing atrocities in this life"

I'm pretty sure that I missed that sermon...do I get partial credit for not attending every Sunday?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

My mistake -- I'd confused the 1994 ban with Bush's import ban in 1989.

As for its effectiveness, there actually seem to be a number of conflicting studies. Some of the more (presumably) unbiased organizations claimed there wasn't enough evidence to determine an effect, since assault rifles are used only rarely by criminals. The Brady center claimed there was a significant reduction in assault rifle related crimes during the ban, but they may not be an unbiased source. That being said, a Harvard study has shown that mass shootings have increased since the ban expired, and these have all involved assault rifles. Their chart below is now out of date, unfortunately.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Legitimate question for the 2nd Amendment historical scholars here: when and how were limits or definitions applied to the wording? Personal weaponry has advanced far beyond single-shot muskets, obviously, but we don't allow people to walk around with bombs or shoulder-fired rocket launchers. How were some items excluded from 2nd Amendment protection and others weren't?
This probably goes beyond my skills to answer, but in regards to explosive devices I'd think it is largely based in their inherently unstable and destructive natures as well as their limits in regards to personal defense. They are highly volatile and/or highly destructive yet hold very little value in protecting oneself from legitimate threats and have the potential for massive collateral damage even if used "correctly". Whether that went into the legal argument or not I don't know but I share the sentiment most probably with many others so I don't have a problem with it. One ignorant person with no ill will could wipe out a neighborhood with explosives. It's more public safety than a weapons issue, IMHO.

As for RPG's and rocket launchers, I'd go along similar lines as above with the added caveat that not many people are under threat from their neighbors with tanks, airplanes, and other such things. So again not a problem for me.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama

My mistake -- I'd confused the 1994 ban with Bush's import ban in 1989.

As for its effectiveness, there actually seem to be a number of conflicting studies. Some of the more (presumably) unbiased organizations claimed there wasn't enough evidence to determine an effect, since assault rifles are used only rarely by criminals. The Brady center claimed there was a significant reduction in assault rifle related crimes during the ban, but they may not be an unbiased source. That being said, a Harvard study has shown that mass shootings have increased since the ban expired, and these have all involved assault rifles. Their chart below is now out of date, unfortunately.

VA Tech, Ft. Hood, and Giffords were handguns if I remember correctly. Also, the only statistics that I personally trust come from the FBI.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-20
The new crime statistics released by the agency reveal that out of 11,961 murders performed within the U.S. in 2014, 660 were committed unarmed, 1,567 were committed with knives and only 248 murders were known to have been committed using rifles of any type, including single-shot long arms and “assault rifles” routinely demonized by gun control groups.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Suspected Islamic Terrorist Slaughters 20 at Orlando Gay Nightclub

Absolutely horrible news.

How many more mass shootings do we need before something is done about assault rifles in this country?
Nothing needs to be done about "assault rifles". I own an AR-15 and I will never give it up just because some idiot Muslim fanatic wants to go on a rampage. Especially something that happened 550 miles away from my home. Also it seems you've never seen during the LA Riots, Korean Americans on their roof tops defending their homes and businesses with AR-15's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.