JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Holdbrooks’ death hits kids of the 80s hard
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
June 14th, 2016 01:51 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief June 14, 2016 There have plenty of Alabama players that have left us recently, many far too early (see: Kevin Turner, to the insidious disease known as ALS). But for some reason, Monday’s loss of former defensive lineman Byron Holdbrooks hit a bit closer to home. For the children of […]

Read More Here

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Holdbrooks’ death hits kids of the 80s hard
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
June 14th, 2016 01:51 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief June 14, 2016 There have plenty of Alabama players that have left us recently, many far too early (see: Kevin Turner, to the insidious disease known as ALS). But for some reason, Monday’s loss of former defensive lineman Byron Holdbrooks hit a bit closer to home. For the children of […]

Read More Here
Great article, Jess. Sad indeed.

One nit to pick:
Curry’s tenure was defined by four losses to Auburn and all sorts of drama for which Curry himself carried much of the blame.

I agree with everything except the fact Curry was only coach for three Iron Bowls (1987-88-89). We did have a four-game losing streak and Curry was primarily to blame for a lot of it.......but Perkins was the head coach when we lost in 1986.

Otherwise - great article.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Well done.

I will always remember not only that play, but that series distinctly. He sacked him on the first play from scrimmage of the game. The second play they probably would have again and they was a little of a dust up, but there was a penalty on Auburn. Then they tried some kind of screen. White threw a weak duck from the end zone that Efrum Thomas picked off. He set the tone from play one.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well done.

I will always remember not only that play, but that series distinctly. He sacked him on the first play from scrimmage of the game. The second play they probably would have again and they was a little of a dust up, but there was a penalty on Auburn. Then they tried some kind of screen. White threw a weak duck from the end zone that Efrum Thomas picked off. He set the tone from play one.
That play actually came on the 2nd play. It was 2nd and 9. As I posted in the thread down the board, this play was my first Alabama football memory. I am a child of the 80s, but a young one. I was born in 1983, so I was 7 when this game was played. I actually have no memories of any games played prior to 1990. And not even any games during that season until this Iron Bowl. So, I didn't have the heartache some of you had from watching Auburn win 4 in a row up until that point. But I distinctly remember Jim Nantz's call late in the game, I think it was after Auburn attempted to draw Alabama's defense offsides on 4th down and it didn't work, that Alabama fans were releasing 4 years of frustration.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
That play actually came on the 2nd play. It was 2nd and 9. As I posted in the thread down the board, this play was my first Alabama football memory. I am a child of the 80s, but a young one. I was born in 1983, so I was 7 when this game was played. I actually have no memories of any games played prior to 1990. And not even any games during that season until this Iron Bowl. So, I didn't have the heartache some of you had from watching Auburn win 4 in a row up until that point. But I distinctly remember Jim Nantz's call late in the game, I think it was after Auburn attempted to draw Alabama's defense offsides on 4th down and it didn't work, that Alabama fans were releasing 4 years of frustration.
I stand corrected. Fortunately I don't have Selma's memory :)

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
I remember that game and most of all that play vividly. My father had passed away about a month before the game and all I could think about was how happy he would have been to see Bama end the Barn's winning streak.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
this is horrible news. i grew up with byron in haleyville. he was a year ahead of me in high school and in scouts with me as well.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Wonderfully and evocatively written, Jess.

Remember the play well. My brother and I were watching at the home of an Auburn friend, who was a good guy but clearly expected to win. To his horror, after the second and third plays the UA contingent already was on its feet yelling. He shouted over us trying to re-establish decorum.

Too late, the hellhounds had been loosed.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Byron's passing reminds me once again what's truly important in this life. Prayers to his family.

Very nice article, Jess. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonDynasT

2nd Team
Sep 23, 2007
A wonderful article to read, Jess. I hope the Holdbrooks family gets the opportunity to read how impactful Byron was in not only saving this particular game but in setting the stage for the resurgence of Bama football. Byron will be missed and all Bama fans mourn his passing.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I'd like to echo much of Engineer's comment as the 1990 Iron Bowl was specifically when "the light came on" for me as well. I was eight at the time, and other than an image of my dad getting almost physically sick in the living room during what I'd later find out to be the '89 Iron Bowl, Alabama games were just flashes of crimson on a TV set while I was playing elsewhere. That was the day I first followed every snap with the thought that it was very important to do so.

I don't remember Mr. Holbrook's name, but I remember that play and that first series, culminating with the Efrum Thomas interception and quick score. It must always be this easy to score on Auburn, I thought. From there it was bend-but-don't-break defense, timely turnovers, and the most lasting image of the day, Philip Doyle high-stepping off the field after his third field goal wrapped it up with a "No. 1" in the air.

It wasn't quite 1994 and that stop on Frank Sander's just outside the 41-yard line on fourth down in what will most likely always me my favorite Iron Bowl (back when it was actually the Iron Bowl and not the home-and-home Alabama-Auburn game that it is now), but it was very special in its own right.

My deepest sympathies to Mr. Holbrooks' family in what might have been an unexpected, untimely passing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.