What Gun Reform would you suggest?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
We went down that road and saw no change. Someone only has to carry more mags. Will not deter these type shootings. A shooter will not say, I cant do this with only a 10 round clip.
I agree with you will not deter these shooters, but if Omar had to switch clips after every 10 shots, maybe a few more folks could have escaped. We can't prevent killers, but can we mitigate their body count somehow ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I agree with you will not deter these shooters, but if Omar had to switch clips after every 10 shots, maybe a few more folks could have escaped. We can't prevent killers, but can we mitigate their body count somehow ?

Fair enough. However, it will also force law abiding citizens to change out mags when mulitple burglars or criminals try to storm their house. Why should we limit the good guys too? Just playing devils advocate

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You really cant compare gun control to alcohol control. They are SO different it is meaningless. The only comparison is that in both cases abuse is bad. If a person desires a gun like some desire alcohol, thats just weird.
Chicago is an example of why local gun control is severely limited and federal gun control is needed.
I'll offer one suggestion that I heard last night. Bill O'Reily was on The Late Show (Colbert) and mentioned a suggestion which may have some merit. Mandatory 10 year sentence in Federal prison for anyone convicted of a crime involving a gun.
Probably wouldn't have stopped Pulse but problem is much broader
Taking something away makes it more in demand. So you increase organized crime and illegal gun sales.

Prohibition fits because it was believed alcohol was immoral and caused more crime. So did it decrease crime or increase it.

Same thing with gun control. Is it going to decrease gun crimes or increase it?

Stop looking at the alcohol vs gun part of it and look at the supply and demand of dangerous items if used improperly aspect of it.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
The solution is not in gun restrictions IMO. We are a very advanced society. Maybe the solution lies in advance warning or protection systems installed at the establisments to help warn people or call attention to someone with firearms. Now this will also affect those law abiding CCP holders as well. Technology is incredible. Let put out minds together and find real life saving solutions.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
None.
However I would like it if they would send me a few thousand rounds of .45 ammo. Practicing is so expensive.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Fair enough. However, it will also force law abiding citizens to change out mags when mulitple burglars or criminals try to storm their house. Why should we limit the good guys too? Just playing devils advocate
Good question. I admit I don't know how many times your scenario occurs, but it certainly is plausible. I don't pretend to have all the answers, and the questions aren't easy, but this guy killed people way too fast and easily in my view. I don't think by any stretch this is strictly a gun issue, but the capacity of his gun is one of several factors to at least discuss, in my view.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
What if everyone started carrying stun guns? Would someone have been able to stop this guy? Maybe the StarTrek stun laser is the answer. I know this is far fetched buy in theory it could be a non lethal solution. Just like American Express, Stun Gun 2017. Don't leave home without it. It could be the 21st Century Mace

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
What if everyone started carrying stun guns? Would someone have been able to stop this guy? Maybe the StarTrek stun laser is the answer. I know this is far fetched buy in theory it could be a non lethal solution. Just like American Express, Stun Gun 2017. Don't leave home without it. It could be the 21st Century Mace
What if everyone wore a shock collar?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
What if everyone wore a shock collar?
I know you say that in gest. But sometimes the most absurd ideas or out of the box thinking leads to solutions that were once thought unsolvable.

I am all for solutions to make our country and my family safer. It may take this kind of creative thinking to help find those answers and not continuing to shield lightning with a metal umbrella.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I know you say that in gest. But sometimes the most absurd ideas or out of the box thinking leads to solutions that were once thought unsolvable.

I am all for solutions to make our country and my family safer. It may take this kind of creative thinking to help find those answers and not continuing to shield lightning with a metal umbrella.
I'm all for solutions that make our country freer.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nothing.

Anyone who actually believes that banning assault weapons will prevent a mass killing needs to remember such non-assault weapon -mass killings as Luby's 1991 in Texas and Va Tech.

Won't prevent even one.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I don't own a gun because I am slightly scatter brained and think that is a bad trait for a gun owner. However, I wouldn't consider myself anti gun/second amendment.

I would favor a waiting period to take possession of a gun. My hope would be that an unstable person that was worked enough to purchase a gun would not be able to keep it together until he took possession of the weapon.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I don't own a gun because I am slightly scatter brained and think that is a bad trait for a gun owner. However, I wouldn't consider myself anti gun/second amendment.

I would favor a waiting period to take possession of a gun. My hope would be that an unstable person that was worked enough to purchase a gun would not be able to keep it together until he took possession of the weapon.
Many states already have waiting periods. From 24 hours to 14 days. These waiting periods have some positive stats to show a reduction in suicide numbers. However, not all states have and some only have for hang guns, rifles or both. There is not standard across the country.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
You really cant compare gun control to alcohol control. They are SO different it is meaningless. The only comparison is that in both cases abuse is bad. If a person desires a gun like some desire alcohol, thats just weird.
Chicago is an example of why local gun control is severely limited and federal gun control is needed.
I'll offer one suggestion that I heard last night. Bill O'Reily was on The Late Show (Colbert) and mentioned a suggestion which may have some merit. Mandatory 10 year sentence in Federal prison for anyone convicted of a crime involving a gun.
Probably wouldn't have stopped Pulse but problem is much broader
So if Cam Robinson is convicted of the stolen gun crime he should be put away for 10 years? That's the problem with mandatory sentences. Often good people are in a bad situation and get the full force of t he law against them.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015

Less gun free zones and more licensed concealed carry owners is a start. At least he would have had to keep low until whatever help law enforcement can provide arrives. Hopefully less than a 3 hour wait before entry.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
None...

I am curious, would some of you guys be willing to bend a little more, if there were not so many guns out there already?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
None...

I am curious, would some of you guys be willing to bend a little more, if there were not so many guns out there already?
Not me. My opinions have nothing to do with the number and types of guns already in circulation. Fortunately for our country that number is astronomical and one you cant put back in the box. I have no doubt of how quickly our country and freedoms would cease to exists if there were no guns in our citizens hands.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
So if Cam Robinson is convicted of the stolen gun crime he should be put away for 10 years? That's the problem with mandatory sentences. Often good people are in a bad situation and get the full force of t he law against them.
But if he knew about such a law he probably wouldn't have had the gun. Thats the purpose, prevention, not incarceration.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But if he knew about such a law he probably wouldn't have had the gun. Thats the purpose, prevention, not incarceration.

IIRC, Cam bought the gun. He didn't know it was stolen. So you're "if he knew about such a law" hypothetical doesn't work in this case, and I believe that is the point Elefantman was trying to make.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.