What Gun Reform would you suggest?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I am done going back and forth with those who are blinded by their lack of understanding and knowledge of the subject. You want to talk real solutions and ideas to stop terrorism, fine. But anything that leads to me having to try to open your eyes to reality and my rights as an American, I will pass. It's obviously not going to accomplish anything but wasting the websites data space.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Think of the "political hay" Trump will make if the headline is "Trump convinces the NRA to support gun legislation"...
That will never make any major paper or news outside of Fox News. The liberal media will go with, Dems make Trump Back Down or Rep and Trump admit they were Wrong. Thats more like the drivel that would be printed.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Although I don't share your suspicion, I understand this stance.
https://theintercept.com/2014/07/23/blacklisted/

The document’s definition of “terrorist” activity includes actions that fall far short of bombing or hijacking. In addition to expected crimes, such as assassination or hostage-taking, the guidelines also define destruction of government property and damaging computers used by financial institutions as activities meriting placement on a list. They also define as terrorism any act that is “dangerous” to property and intended to influence government policy through intimidation.
This combination—a broad definition of what constitutes terrorism and a low threshold for designating someone a terrorist—opens the way to ensnaring innocent people in secret government dragnets. It can also be counterproductive. When resources are devoted to tracking people who are not genuine risks to national security, the actual threats get fewer resources—and might go unnoticed.

The difficulty of getting off the list is highlighted by a passage in the guidelines stating that an individual can be kept on the watchlist, or even placed onto the watchlist, despite being acquitted of a terrorism-related crime. The rulebook justifies this by noting that conviction in U.S. courts requires evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, whereas watchlisting requires only a reasonable suspicion. Once suspicion is raised, even a jury’s verdict cannot erase it.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
What kind of due process is there with a watch list? Who creates this list? Are they elected officials? How many rights are we willing to give up?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
What kind of due process is there with a watch list? Who creates this list? Are they elected officials? How many rights are we willing to give up?
There is no due process. The FBI adds to the list as needed and warrented by leads, investigations and ties to others. Currently the list has approximately 500,000 individuals and over 10,000 americans. One you are on even if nothing is found and charges filed you can remain on if the FBI wants to continue to monitor you. Most people never know they are even on the list. Only a fraction on the list are physically brought in for questioning.

Sounds like a good legit system huh? Need no approval or due process to put you on a list that coule prevent you from buying a gun or flying. However, the watch list and no fly list are separate even though many are on both. How about that check and balance system to make sure all is on the up and up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we're going to get something, whether or not we want it. I think that the most acceptable changes would be a mandatory waiting period (thwarts most suicides), better background checks, starting with a merger of all federal databases and magazine limitations (I already got mine :)). This is based on, IMO, the certainty that something is going to pass...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think we're going to get something, whether or not we want it. I think that the most acceptable changes would be a mandatory waiting period (thwarts most suicides), better background checks, starting with a merger of all federal databases and magazine limitations (I already got mine :)). This is based on, IMO, the certainty that something is going to pass...
This should create some arbitrage opportunity.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This should create some arbitrage opportunity.
Yes, there's no telling what will come out the other end. These are the changes, IMO, which are most likely to help and would cramp the ordinary Joe the least. I think the mag limitation will happen because of public pressure. The average citizen doesn't realize how quickly the AR mag can be swapped out. Mateen ran through a bunch...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
You are probably correct. Will be grabbing me an AR-10 and 15 soon. Just another swing and miss by our fearless leaders

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think the public supports another AWB. Even magazine limits will be a tough sell. I think the biggest thing we'll see pushed through will be that if you're on the terrorist watch list you cannot legally buy a firearm.

the reality is that most Americans are smart enough to realize that widespread limits and bans do little.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I don't think the public supports another AWB. Even magazine limits will be a tough sell. I think the biggest thing we'll see pushed through will be that if you're on the terrorist watch list you cannot legally buy a firearm.

the reality is that most Americans are smart enough to realize that widespread limits and bans do little.
Actually they are not. I have spoken with no less than 20 friends or coworkers in last two days and a high majority all said there was no need for mags with higher than 10 capacity. Its hard to get people to think the government would ever "harm" us. Smh

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Actually they are not. I have spoken with no less than 20 friends or coworkers in last two days and a high majority all said there was no need for mags with higher than 10 capacity. Its hard to get people to think the government would ever "harm" us. Smh
People have a profound lack of imagination until presented with shocking examples.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
People have a profound lack of imagination until presented with shocking examples.
One of my favorites.
After a unit of Union occupation troops moved in on his land and summarily captured, executed, and placed the decapitated heads of his sons on his gateposts, Hinson abandoned his quiet life for one of revenge.
And another. Maybe these guys were asking for it?

Here's another oldie but a goodie:
In Greensboro a white youth struck a negro who had insulted him, and was in turn slapped in the face by a Federal officer, whom he at once shot and then made his escape. The negro population, led by negro soldiers, went into every house in the town, seized all the arms, and secured as a hostage the brother of the man who had escaped. A gallows was erected and the boy was about to be hanged when his relatives received an intimation that money would secure his release. With difficulty about $10,000 was secured from the people of the town and sent to the officer in command of the district. No one knows what he did with the money, but the young man was released.
Trust'em. They're good.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.