What Gun Reform would you suggest?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Yes, there's no telling what will come out the other end. These are the changes, IMO, which are most likely to help and would cramp the ordinary Joe the least. I think the mag limitation will happen because of public pressure. The average citizen doesn't realize how quickly the AR mag can be swapped out. Mateen ran through a bunch...
I read that Canada restricts weapons similar to the AR-15 (which I presume means semi-automatic rifles) to a 5 round magazine capacity. I doubt anything so restrictive could get passed here, but I've heard worse ideas. The Orlando shooter would've needed to carry over 20 magazines to fire as many shots as he did.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I read that Canada restricts weapons similar to the AR-15 (which I presume means semi-automatic rifles) to a 5 round magazine capacity. I doubt anything so restrictive could get passed here, but I've heard worse ideas. The Orlando shooter would've needed to carry over 20 magazines to fire as many shots as he did.
If a mag limitation does pass, it will be for 10 rounds. I wouldn't expect anything lower than the AWB of 1994, which was 10, because there's less support now than 1994 for a sweeping ban...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Keep in mind. A ban of any kind on specific guns or capacity is only on new sales. It does not make the millions of guns and mags already in circulation illegal. Its useless as it was the first time.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Since he had time to make a phone call in between his attacks while his victims cowered in fear, I don't guess changing a few magazines wouldn't have been too much of an inconvenience, assuming he abided by this absurd notion of a law at all. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this guy doesn't care too much about the rule of law, though.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Yes, there's no telling what will come out the other end. These are the changes, IMO, which are most likely to help and would cramp the ordinary Joe the least. I think the mag limitation will happen because of public pressure. The average citizen doesn't realize how quickly the AR mag can be swapped out. Mateen ran through a bunch...

Oh sure, let's all just crap on the ordinary Joe...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Since he had time to make a phone call in between his attacks while his victims cowered in fear, I don't guess changing a few magazines wouldn't have been too much of an inconvenience, assuming he abided by this absurd notion of a law at all. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this guy doesn't care too much about the rule of law, though.
It's not all about time required to change magazines, there's also the complication of needing to carry an absurd number of them if a murderer seeks to inflict mass carnage. And while killers, by definition, buck the rule of law, the legitimate gun shop he purchased everything from would need to obey laws such as these.

Regardless, I doubt a mag capacity regulation would pass this congress.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CBS News: ‘Look How Easy It Is to Buy an Assault Rifle’

This morning, CBS News breathlessly reported that one of its producers was able to walk into a Virginia gun shop and legally purchase an AR-15.

Woodward and Bernstein-style investigative journalism this was not.

CBS thinks it amazing that an American citizen could — again, legally — purchase a semi-automatic rifle in the state of Virginia (not a machine gun, bazooka, or fully automatic Uzi) after . . . well, after doing everything you’re supposed to do in order to legally buy a semi-automatic rifle in the state of Virginia.

“Throughout most of America, you could go into a gun store and buy an AR-15, just like you’d go into a Starbucks and buy a cup of coffee,” UCLA law professor Adam Winkler told CBS.

Actually, no. By CBS’s own account, the producer 1) provided two forms of identification to prove state residency, 2) a passport to prove U.S. citizenship, 3) filled out the required state and federal forms reporting her name, date of birth, social-security number, and past criminal convictions or restraining orders (if any), and finally 4) passed a federal background check.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never had to do any of that when buying a cuppa joe at Starbucks.

This comment for the video :biggrin::

"We sent a CBS producer into a gun store"
- Soo......CBS has the lady buy a rifle for them? That is called a "Straw Purchase" and is ILLEGAL.
She did not buy it for herself, and I would question if she paid for it herself, both a violation of 11.a on the firearm purchase form.
This is a felony.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Imagine...

Carry four 9 mm semi-auto handguns...40 rounds with no reloading...ditch the first three when empty, then reload the last one with as many magazines as can be carried...a bit of weight, but probably not much more than a "long gun" and extra mags...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Even limiting mags to 10 rounds will do little - with only a little bit of dry practice you can become very fast at changing mags in an AR platform rifle:

And it's not just AR pattern rifles - most any mag swamp can be done very quickly with a little practice:

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
What Obama and any of these other politicians need to do while they're out politicizing this terror attack and visiting with survivors, is ask some of these survivors what was the ONE thing they were wishing they had with them. Ask them what was the ONE thing they wish they had with them while they were hiding in rooms and under dead bodies for hours....waiting to die.

While the shooter was busy playing on Facebook and making phone calls. I bet he knows what they'd say, and it wouldn't be anything related to climate change.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
“You don’t defeat terrorism by taking away guns,” he added later, “you defeat terrorism by using guns.”
Ted Cruz

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Even limiting mags to 10 rounds will do little - with only a little bit of dry practice you can become very fast at changing mags in an AR platform rifle:

And it's not just AR pattern rifles - most any mag swamp can be done very quickly with a little practice:

I wasn't really opining as to the efficacy. I was just examining the likely proposals and sorting them out as to which would be easiest to live with. I feel certain a mag limit will be proposed. Whether or not it can pass is another question. I feel pretty sure enhanced BG checks will pass. A waiting period is a high probability, IMO...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

That's true. At the same time, changing magazines quickly becomes less necessary when the greater emphasis is placed on accuracy and shot placement rather than hurriedly spraying rounds all over creation. As has been previously discussed, accuracy while shooting in FA mode is difficult at best, especially for the untrained.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Before the 9/11 attacks, there were perhaps a dozen people worldwide on America’s no-fly list. The numbers soared after the attacks and by 2013 there were some 47,000 individuals on the list, according to a Justice Department audit. Grandmothers, infants, honorably discharged veterans, and the disabled have found themselves barred from boarding.
This is what gets me. You serve your country honorably, maybe even get permanently injured in combat. Then you come back home and what happens? Your country thanks you by deeming you "mentally unfit" and then not only can you not purchase a firearm, you get banned from flying on commercial airliners as well.
What's wrong with this picture?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This is what gets me. You serve your country honorably, maybe even get permanently injured in combat. Then you come back home and what happens? Your country thanks you by deeming you "mentally unfit" and then not only can you not purchase a firearm, you get banned from flying on commercial airliners as well.
What's wrong with this picture?
IMO anyone who voted for Clinton and Obama is mentally unfit to own a firearm.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.