What Gun Reform would you suggest?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Rather than continue to have multiple threads tossing around generic gun reform, lets discuss some specific changes, suggestion and ideas. Please dont list or share any generalized changes or bans. State what specific changes you would suggest to make our country safer. I am both interested in what specific ideas and solutions are out there. For so many people who have the extreme feelings one way or another I want to see real ideas and solutions, not just empty words being thrown around with no understanding.

My recommendation would be:

No one who is not both a natural born American Citizen and whos both parents are natural born citizens, should be allowed to purchase a firearm or concealed carry permit.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My recommendation would be:

No one who is not both a natural born American Citizen and whos both parents are natural born citizens, should be allowed to purchase a firearm or concealed carry permit.

Be prepared for Dylan klebold , James Holmes, and others be thrown in your face.

But to the matter. My problem with any gun reform is that like anything else what ever you limit or take away organized crime profits from the change. Prohibition and Chicago's gun restrictions are a glaring testament to it. I guess if there was anything I would modify I say it would be the magazine capacity, but then again when you have 15 criminals have 30. So it's a double edged sword

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Oh I know my change does not solve anything. However, it does make it difficult for some to legally buy guns. They will still get them illegally, but at least they had to break a law to get them. And yes there are plenty of others who would qualify and still be able to buy a gun. Its just one additional measure that can be taken.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Study the risk factors for violent crime.

Look closer at those people with risk factors that suggest a high propensity for committing violent crime.

Prosecute those who commit violent crimes.

Leave regular people who aren't hurting anyone alone and don't worry about what they have.

If someone out of the blue just snaps and kills somebody or a lot of somebodies, mourn them, but accept that will happen sometimes.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
In any free society, you're always going to have the crazies that are out to maim or kill folks who have supposedly offended them on some way. It doesn't matter a hill of beans what laws you enact irt any given type of weaponry. They're always going to get their hands on something, even if it's a rock off the street.
That said, I wouldn't suggest any measure of gun reform. I'd suggest People Reform.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Be prepared for Dylan klebold , James Holmes, and others be thrown in your face.

But to the matter. My problem with any gun reform is that like anything else what ever you limit or take away organized crime profits from the change. Prohibition and Chicago's gun restrictions are a glaring testament to it. I guess if there was anything I would modify I say it would be the magazine capacity, but then again when you have 15 criminals have 30. So it's a double edged sword
You really cant compare gun control to alcohol control. They are SO different it is meaningless. The only comparison is that in both cases abuse is bad. If a person desires a gun like some desire alcohol, thats just weird.
Chicago is an example of why local gun control is severely limited and federal gun control is needed.
I'll offer one suggestion that I heard last night. Bill O'Reily was on The Late Show (Colbert) and mentioned a suggestion which may have some merit. Mandatory 10 year sentence in Federal prison for anyone convicted of a crime involving a gun.
Probably wouldn't have stopped Pulse but problem is much broader

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You really cant compare gun control to alcohol control. They are SO different it is meaningless. The only comparison is that in both cases abuse is bad. If a person desires a gun like some desire alcohol, thats just weird.
Chicago is an example of why local gun control is severely limited and federal gun control is needed.
I'll offer one suggestion that I heard last night. Bill O'Reily was on The Late Show (Colbert) and mentioned a suggestion which may have some merit. Mandatory 10 year sentence in Federal prison for anyone convicted of a crime involving a gun.
That's a start. I agree with this on'y because there is no parole or probation from federal prisons. If you eliminate them from state prisons (in gun crime cases) then you have some deterrent to recidivism.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I dont see manditory sentancing as a deterrent. These individuals are not planning to go to jail alive. They are not weighing the pros and cons of getting caught. They are ready and willing to die at the end of the day.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I'd probably be more for government reform. Get em all out. Yesterday.

If you're under investigation by the FBI, you shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm. Or run for president.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Maybe a 30 day min waiting period. You can still get your gun but will a killer wait 30 days or find elsewhere.

I hate to see the day but, I can see it coming where private person to person sales will have to be recorded, approved or background searches done. This may come sooner than later.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I read this while stuffing a new 40 round mag... :D
I am by no means promoting gun reform. Just wanted to hear some specific from all the gun haters out there. I want to know what their solutions are rather than just hearing there should be more laws.

I dont have any 40 round mags. Lucky you.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'd suggest some limit on the capacity, maybe 10-15 rounds, as well as prohibiting purchases from those on a watch list .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am by no means promoting gun reform. Just wanted to hear some specific from all the gun haters out there. I want to know what their solutions are rather than just hearing there should be more laws.

I dont have any 40 round mags. Lucky you.
Well, my reply was light-hearted, but it also happened to be true at the time... :D

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I'm pretty sure that the only people proposing laws that are useless and burdensome on the general public as well as the justice system are either ill informed or lawyers------sorry Earle but even farmers fertilize and water their crops ! ;)

You can not legislate morality, civility, nor common sense.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I'd suggest some limit on the capacity, maybe 10-15 rounds, as well as prohibiting purchases from those on a watch list .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We went down that road and saw no change. Someone only has to carry more mags. Will not deter these type shootings. A shooter will not say, I cant do this with only a 10 round clip.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Well, my reply was light-hearted, but it also happened to be true at the time... :D
I frequented the local sporting goods store yesterday and resupplied my defense inventory. Never know when the shelves will start getting empty again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.