Link: CFN:SEC Football: Way Too Early Wk 1 Predictions By Pete Fiutak

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Clemson is going to DESTROY the barn. I expect Watson to drop 50+ points on their defense. No way the barn can match them score for score. They don't have THAT many rabbit's feet and four leaf clovers.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I can see our game going about the same as the Wisconsin game last year. Close for a quarter or so then pulling away for a 2-3 score win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Can't really argue too much with the assessment of our game, though I think he assumes we have neutral to negative answers to all our questions, and USCw has positive answers to all of theirs. So I think we do better, but might or might not cover.

He loses me with the logic behind his pick of the barn over Clemson. "The defense is going to be terrific"?!? "The pass rush will get to Watson"?!? He doesn't say it, but that entire train of thought can be based on nothing but the return of Carl Lawson.

I confess to a feeling that the barn will do better than expected. But it's nothing more than a gut feel, born of the barn's history of confounding expectations both good and bad. Logically, it makes no sense.

I really think the pick is a function of (1) that history, (2) a desire to appear prescient, and (3) the knowledge of little downside and a lot of upside. If he's right, you can bet he'll trumpet that from the highest mountaintop. If he's wrong, well, the general public has an exceedingly short memory, and he skates.

Bottom line is that I think he's picking to impress his media peers, not picking what he really thinks.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I'm surprised by that Clemson -Barn prediction. I think Clempson's speed runs the Barn ragged all night. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clempson win by 20.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bama by more and Clemson wins my 2 or 3 scores.

I'm not just saying that because I obvioulsy don't like the Barn, but Clemson will have tons to prove in this opener and I really think they'll make a run at the playoffs again next year.

I'm glad we are not playing them in the opener. I'd probably pick against us with their qb situation vs. our's in the opener.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
USC will play Bama tough. We could use that one, but I don't think so.

Barn beats Clemson? I'd bet my next mortgage payment that won't happen. Kevin Steele's legendary defense will get LIT UP by Watson and Company.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Clemson routes Auburn, and to me it won't be on the defense.

I have zero faith in Auburn to keep up the scoring with clemson. I honestly think both defenses are in the same league. Clemson doesn't have the talent to replace 9 starters and not miss a beat. Auburn's front four will give them problems for a bit.

The problem is Auburn's offense has no real punch to it in my opinion. They aren't above average at any position aside from RB. So when you start leaving your defense on the field against Clemson an overwhelming amount of the time you have no chance. My way too early prediction would be something like 52-27.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The sheer stupidity of making the assertion that the D-Line of Auburn will "get to Watson" after witnessing one of the GREATEST defensive lines in CFB history scramble after him all night during the championship game is almost worthy of scientific study.

His powers of observation are frighteningly stunted. Based on that prediction alone I would go ahead and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
If there is one person on Auburn's roster I would pick out and put on Bama's it is probably Carl Lawson, injury history and all, even if we could use more help at other positions. That does not mean I think he/they are going to consistently get to Watson.

Nothing but click fodder.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I know auburn fans that are just hoping not to get embarrassed. Most rational fans (I know, I know) know Clemson is going to be a struggle for them.
The smart and reasonable Auburn fans I know are hoping the same. For some reason, I have this feeling they play Clempson about as close as we did. Just gut feeling and honestly, please don't hate me -- I haven't lived in Alabama since 1984, so maybe I miss a lot of the personal social rivalry, but I am pulling for the Barn in this one out of conference loyalty.

My logical brain says Carolina Barn 49 Barn 21 but I never count the Barn out. They're a team that's always been near impossible to bet on -- one way or the other. So, I'm thinking Carolina Barn 42, Barn 38. Sorry. Cue the dislike button. I don't blame you.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
please don't hate me -- I haven't lived in Alabama since 1984, so maybe I miss a lot of the personal social rivalry, but I am pulling for the Barn in this one out of conference loyalty.
I don't hate you. I look at this game as a win-win.

I can't actively pull for the Barn but I know a lot of Clemson fans are smug as - words I can't use - and still have this glib superiority, like their team won a championship they actually lost. So I would not object IN THE LEAST to seeing them lose the opening game of the season. It would pretty much douse that fire. HOWEVER, that sentiment is still far from me actually rooting for Auburn.

Either way, a team I dislike goes home feeling bad about themselves, as God intended.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The smart and reasonable Auburn fans I know are hoping the same. For some reason, I have this feeling they play Clempson about as close as we did. Just gut feeling and honestly, please don't hate me -- I haven't lived in Alabama since 1984, so maybe I miss a lot of the personal social rivalry, but I am pulling for the Barn in this one out of conference loyalty.

My logical brain says Carolina Barn 49 Barn 21 but I never count the Barn out. They're a team that's always been near impossible to bet on -- one way or the other. So, I'm thinking Carolina Barn 42, Barn 38. Sorry. Cue the dislike button. I don't blame you.
you get the full Banjeaux for that post.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.