Bama had the wrong Phillips as Hitting Coach

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
Yes, it's true. Paul Phillips, the first cousin to Andy is a much better hitting coach than Andy. He currently is the Miami Marlins hitting coach for their AAA team the New Orleans Zephyrs. He was at Lipscomb as the hitting coach from 2012-2015 before taking the job at New Orleans.

Partial story about Phillips from Lipscomb baseball

Since joining Forehand’s staff, Phillips has helped the Bisons increase their batting averages and their offensive success in nearly every category.

Lipscomb had its best three-year stretch in the NCAA era, winning 97 games, and set the single-season win mark in back-to-back seasons. In 2015 he helped guide the Bisons to an Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament Championship and an NCAA Tournament berth.

Phillips leaves Lipscomb in a better position than before he got here, but he is also taking part of the program with him to New Orleans.

“The one thing that I developed from Jeff and that I will take with me is a more personal understanding of each player,” Phillips said. “At the end of the day I want to help each player be the best possible player they can be. I want them to see that I am trying to help them grow. “

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Obviously I am just a fan and don't know the inner workings in the baseball offices, but judging by what I saw on the field there are probably a lot of people named Phillips who could done at least as well, and more than likely, better.

rtr

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, not throwing stones here, but Andy is one of our all time greats. He was a great player, and by all accounts a great person. He came back home and while I will admit probably didn't have as much success as hoped, he is still a Bama great. So, lets quit kicking the dead horse, salute him (and the rest of the staff) for his (their) efforts, and turn the page.

If I ran into him now, I would ask for him to take a picture with my kids and make sure they know he was one of the great ones!

Just my .02 rant turned off now.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Well, not throwing stones here, but Andy is one of our all time greats. He was a great player, and by all accounts a great person. He came back home and while I will admit probably didn't have as much success as hoped, he is still a Bama great. So, lets quit kicking the dead horse, salute him (and the rest of the staff) for his (their) efforts, and turn the page.

If I ran into him now, I would ask for him to take a picture with my kids and make sure they know he was one of the great ones!

Just my .02 rant turned off now.
You ain't even lying. He was a beast!

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
Andy Phillips was and still is an arrogant ...... If you saw him today you may ask for a picture but may walk away thinking was a jerk.

Think about the other golfer in the tin cup movie and you'll get a great example of Andy. He has the public fooled.

There is a reason why we couldn't recruit a hitter. Andy couldn't make relationship with the players or coaches to get them to campus.id personally be shocked if he ever coaches above the high school level again unless it was another gaspard like favor

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.