Gator Drowns Toddler At Disney World

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Re: Gator Devours Toddler At Disney World

This was a young gator and it was never likely it did anything but drown the child. Thats why I did not think the title of this thread was appropriate for a number of reasons. I am relived the family will have some closure by recovering the child. They have a long road ahead. I dont place blame on the parent nor Disney. It is a horrible accident and I am sure Disney will go out of their way to take care of this family. Very sad.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Bamaro;2833360[B said:
]Body was found intact. I wouldn't have ever guessed that.:conf2:[/B]
(guess title has to change)
I agree.

All I can say about this entire week is that everyone please be AWARE of your surroundings/environment.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

You're a good parent, J.

I am guessing that they thought letting their 2 year old play down by the water wouldn't hurt anything....the sign saying "No Swimming" was for swimming...not playing....

Just a guess.
My grandfather used to tell me to play in the street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I've stayed with my family at the Polynesian. I assumed the no swimming signs were because of the motorized boat traffic in the area. We sat on the beach to watch the fireworks. As many times as I've been to Florida, I've never seen an alligator. I'm very surprised to find out there are gators in Lake Buena Vista.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I'd be more shocked to discover there weren't any in either Bay Lake or the lagoon. I would think it would be impossible to keep them out. They're everywhere.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

They should have just followed the rules. No swimming means no swimming. We obey all rules at Disney. I have five kids too haven't lost one yet.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Fair enough. However, I imagine "DANGER - ALLIGATORS LIVE HERE" would have been a more effective sign, especially since Disney regularly has gators removed from their waters. I suspect Disney will be writing a 7-8 figure check to the family...quite possibly voluntarily.

Fair enough. However, I imagine "DANGER - ALLIGATORS LIVE HERE" would have been a more effective sign, especially since Disney regularly has gators removed from their waters. I suspect Disney will be writing a 7-8 figure check to the family...quite possibly voluntarily.
I agree it would have been more effective, so would a fence. 45 years with no incident though is a proven track record. I know we are in hindsight mode right now, but we all know what no swimming truly means. I think that family let their guard down because it was Disney and that 45 year track record was proven until last night. I do understand where you are coming from though.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Okay I'm going to ask. Why did they kill five alligators if they already had found the boy's body? By the sounds of it they won't stop till they find the one that killed the boy. The gator was just doing what comes naturally to it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wi...tor-that-killed-toddler/ar-AAh69IF?li=BBnbfcL

From what I understand 4 were killed right away way before the body was found. They are now in the process of trying to determine if any of the ones they killed were the one that killed the toddler.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Okay I'm going to ask. Why did they kill five alligators if they already had found the boy's body? By the sounds of it they won't stop till they find the one that killed the boy. The gator was just doing what comes naturally to it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wi...tor-that-killed-toddler/ar-AAh69IF?li=BBnbfcL
SOP. A man-eater can not be allowed to live. And I wouldn't worry too much. They could kill every gator within miles of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon and hardly make a dent in their overall population.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

SOP. A man-eater can not be allowed to live. And I wouldn't worry too much. They could kill every gator within miles of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon and hardly make a dent in their overall population.
Yah, it literally wouldn't make a noticeable dent in the overall numbers.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Yah, it literally wouldn't make a noticeable dent in the overall numbers.
Neither would 100 humans but it doesnt make it justified. Not that I am taking up for the gators. Just playing devils advocate. I have been attacked by a 14 footer before. So I have zero love lost for the gators. Fortunately I am 6'2 280 lbs and saw him coming from 3' foot under the waters surface and was able to jump out of his grasp by merely inches. Had I not been looking in the water and seen him coming, there is no doubt in my mind I would not be telling the story today. I now have a whole new respect for them.

It can happen in the blink of an eye during the middle of the day. I would not place blame on anyone who that happened too. I wonder how many parents would have jumped in after the child as the father did. No one will ever feel as bad as he will the rest of his life.

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Mrs. VJ and I were talking about this today. IMO the lawyers are lining up for a pay day, and so are Disney's lawyers. My money is on a YUGE settlement with the family to keep this out of a court and out of the media. Disney has already taken a hit with bad publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if something has already been offered.

I doubt the impact of a big financial settlement would sink in or assist their grieving at this point. For Disney yes it's tragic but they are also running a business and their primary concern is the bottom line.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
To a Floridian, water=gators, but to a Midwestern family not so much. I can see how they might have thought "No Swimming" meant no Michael Phelps stuff in the lagoon but wading ankle deep was okay. After all, any alligators at a Disney property are probably magical talking ones there to entertain guests!
A sign saying "Do not cross this line or a big alligator will eat you! Go enjoy a can of pop and discuss the importance of corn subsidies" might be wise going forward.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We built a line in Ft. Pierce Florida not long after 9/11 off the Turnpike feeding just the billboards and Florida Power & Light told us to watch for water moccasins, wild boar, and alligators because we were in an orange grove. There was plenty of 4-6 foot alligators in the irrigation ditches and people just don't realize how fast they are, ESPECIALLY in the water. I seen that first hand as we worked feet from them and always had to keep an eye out. Luckily bucket trucks are loud enough they typically stayed away.

As for the family, I don't see how you can blame them for anything as you wouldn't expect to see alligators there. As for Disney, I know legally they'll take a hit but it's hard to blame them because they've probably NEVER seen a gator there either. Sadly the boy had to pay the price. So so sad.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Mrs. VJ and I were talking about this today. IMO the lawyers are lining up for a pay day, and so are Disney's lawyers. My money is on a YUGE settlement with the family to keep this out of a court and out of the media. Disney has already taken a hit with bad publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if something has already been offered.

I doubt the impact of a big financial settlement would sink in or assist their grieving at this point. For Disney yes it's tragic but they are also running a business and their primary concern is the bottom line.
My sentiments as well.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

You know, and maybe its just me because I'm not litigious in nature. I wouldn't want their money other than the offer to assist with funeral costs and a refund. I would want them to increase warnings around the lakes and increase trappings to keep others safe. But, you're right, it will be settled out of court for a few mil.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Sure it does. The are man-made lagoons in a place covered with people - get the gators out.
I dont disagree at all with this. However, you dont erradicate every allagator or snake from a 200 acre lake. And if you were by some miracle able to somehow get every one out. Another could come in tomorrow or 3 the next day, etc. We are not talking about a half acre pond here. You are in South FL. There are over 1 million alligators and flooded water everywhere. Its just part of the environmental makeup. All Disney can do is work to remove gators as they are found and put up additional signage and protective fencing or walls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.