Gator Drowns Toddler At Disney World

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I have some recommended reading for y'all. The Man-Eaters of Kumaon by naturalist and hunter of man-eaters Jim Corbett. It's one of my old favorites and it's freely available online in PDF format. Import that link into the Kindle app or iBooks and read away. It really is an incredible read.

Corbett understood his quarry brilliantly. He is one of my personal heroes. He was a second to none naturalist and truly loved the wildlife he spent his life studying and acting as an advocate for. The oldest national park in India, established to protect the endangered tigers, is named in his honor.

An article on him from Damn Interesting:
A Large-Hearted Gentleman
Great book about the subject, and a great read as well.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Would anyone know if Disney has insurance against this? I would think so with the bodies if water and interconnecting canals all over that place.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
NBC did a story with an alligator hunting family from Florida. When the reporter asked if Disney can keep the gators out, the dad said "No... I say no because they're (alligators) are in the wild."

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
If a gator were to snatch Mickey off Main Street in the Magic Kingdom, would Disney finally retire the bloodthirsty money-grubbing rodent?

tidegrandpa

All-American
A ways back, 1988, I took my three kids, my brothers three and a couple cousins to Cape Kennedy for the Discovery launch, the first one after Challenger blew.
We were on Hwy 1 just outside Titusville and back then even the little town of Titusville had alligator warnings along the road and swamps we watched the launch from. There was a pretty good crowd that day so we weren't concerned but I did point them out to the kids, but they were a lot older than two.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I thought I would add a little something to this about Disney. Understand that Disney has only developed about 35% of the land they own in Florida. To stand atop the Contemporary Resort at night, you can see to the horizon in one direction and see no man made light. There are tons of water, thick forestry, and swamps there and I have seen gators near the sides of roads, deer on golf courses near resorts, a poisonous snake (water moccasin) crawling near a swimming pool at one resort, ducks swimming early one morning in another resort's pool, and a non poisonous water snake land in a ride vehicle on one water ride at Animal Kingdom.

Sadly, I can see how this could happen as so many people believe that Disney is automatically exempt from the dangers of secluded land in the wild. Each resort has thick landscaping and are prime areas for snakes to rest and hunt for the many rabbits and squirrels that roam the property. Last fall I was walking through the Polynesian Resort when a family of 4 from Tennessee (I can take my Tennessee fan shot here) was walking near me. The youngest daughter decided to take a look in some thick plants and said she saw a snake when her mom said that there were no snakes in Disney. That is when I turned and told them about what all I had seen on the property through the years and that included snakes and to always be careful not to put a hand in a thick landscaping area, a toe in a lagoon, and don't throw food around at animals on the property.

There is not a lagoon or lake at Disney that I would put my toe in because the water is so dark. I would swim in Warrior River before I would swim in any Disney lagoon or lake and I go to the place once every year.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I thought I would add a little something to this about Disney. Understand that Disney has only developed about 35% of the land they own in Florida. To stand atop the Contemporary Resort at night, you can see to the horizon in one direction and see no man made light. There are tons of water, thick forestry, and swamps there and I have seen gators near the sides of roads, deer on golf courses near resorts, a poisonous snake (water moccasin) crawling near a swimming pool at one resort, ducks swimming early one morning in another resort's pool, and a non poisonous water snake land in a ride vehicle on one water ride at Animal Kingdom.

Sadly, I can see how this could happen as so many people believe that Disney is automatically exempt from the dangers of secluded land in the wild. Each resort has thick landscaping and are prime areas for snakes to rest and hunt for the many rabbits and squirrels that roam the property. Last fall I was walking through the Polynesian Resort when a family of 4 from Tennessee (I can take my Tennessee fan shot here) was walking near me. The youngest daughter decided to take a look in some thick plants and said she saw a snake when her mom said that there were no snakes in Disney. That is when I turned and told them about what all I had seen on the property through the years and that included snakes and to always be careful not to put a hand in a thick landscaping area, a toe in a lagoon, and don't throw food around at animals on the property.

There is not a lagoon or lake at Disney that I would put my toe in because the water is so dark. I would swim in Warrior River before I would swim in any Disney lagoon or lake and I go to the place once every year.
You are 100% correct! My family are Po folks and stay at Fort Wilderness when we have went to Disney....I've seen many poisonous snakes around our "cabin" (a trailer with faux log siding!).....I like it there, but my family has grown up knowing that you don't go into tall grass and brush, especially around water!!!...

I have been to the exact spot where this occurred, and even I would have probably let my guard down and wouldn't have expected a gator attack...(Sandy beach, with lounge chairs at waterside....pool, just steps away....you figure, for the money you spend, that Disney actively patrols the lake to eliminate any threat of a gator...)although they are everywhere in FL....and I know that, and everyone on TF knows that....but a family from Nebraska might not know that, and I can easily see why they wouldn't have been too alert about a gator being in there........that being said, I'd never go into the water anywhere close to dusk.....

I have chuckled at the few joke posts, and understand.....and appreciate a good joke (even when it's in bad taste!)....but I know what it's like to lose a child. I lost my 9 year old to a sudden illness that took her within a week of the first symptom....It wasn't an instant traumatic experience like this, but to me it was bad enough.....and the results are the same.....

Obviously the parents loved their kids..(if they didn't, they wouldn't have spent top $ to go to Disney and stay at the big $ resort..)...no one feels worse about it, than they do...(believe me)......and a young man will never get to enjoy any of life's little pleasures now..[emoji17]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.