Link: Speedy Anthony Averett Continues to Progress, Optimistic Heading Into the Fall

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Anthony Averett called his mom following Alabama's spring testing last year.

The big news: Averett ran the 40-yard dash in 4.30 seconds.

It was the fastest time posted by any Tide player last spring. Only six players have run faster at the NFL scouting combine since 2005.

"I told him when he ran that, 'Wow, you're moving,'" Averett's mom, Carmen Davis, said. "I told him, 'You were really moving. Now we need you to do that moving on the field.'"

Averett may finally get that opportunity, one year after that conversation with his mother.

After seeing limited playing time during his first three years at Alabama, the 6-foot, 180-pound redshirt junior cornerback is in the mix to play a significant role this season.

"He's very positive," Davis said of Averett, whose 40 time this spring, a 4.34, was tied for the best on the team. "From the conversations he's had with the coaches and also just by the reps that he's getting, he definitely feels good about this upcoming season."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think lot of people realize that Averett has improved a lot to where he could be a contender for one of the CB spots this up coming fall. The thought of Humphrey, Minkah and Averett does sound good.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Would he be a candidate for a nickel corner? I think the boundary corner positions are set with Humphrey and Fitzpatrick..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Would he be a candidate for a nickel corner? I think the boundary corner positions are set with Humphrey and Fitzpatrick..
While redshirt sophomore Marlon Humphrey and sophomore Minkah Fitzpatrick are expected to be Alabama's two starting cornerbacks, Averett could still end up starting a lot of games at cornerback.
Fitzpatrick was the Tide's nickel back last season and may slide inside to play that role when Alabama goes into its nickel or dime defenses. If he does, Averett or someone else will be depended on to step into the outside cornerback spot opposite Humphrey.

It's a quote from the article posted...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
While redshirt sophomore Marlon Humphrey and sophomore Minkah Fitzpatrick are expected to be Alabama's two starting cornerbacks, Averett could still end up starting a lot of games at cornerback.
Fitzpatrick was the Tide's nickel back last season and may slide inside to play that role when Alabama goes into its nickel or dime defenses. If he does, Averett or someone else will be depended on to step into the outside cornerback spot opposite Humphrey.

It seems Averett was playing the nickel and Fitz the CB in the spring and I believe this is the way it will be in the fall. I was surprised Averett was getting reps ahead of Sheffield and Brown. His speed is obviously a big asset.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Someone said that The New DC, Pruitt wasn't high on Sheffield.. and Tony Brown is probably going to move back to Safety due to thin depth chart. It depends on Tony Brown's suspension, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in two months.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I could see this since Fitz is a good bit bigger so likely better to help with run when needed. This is what Javy did and since we play so much nickel, both would basically be starters.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
This thread makes me happy. I love seeing 5* players come in year after year, but I also love seeing guys like AA who aren't ready to play the day they graduate high school come in and develop and turn into good players. I liked that our last two QBs were fifth year seniors when they got their shot, and I like it at other positions as well when guys can trust that they can come to Bama and develop as players and get a fair shake, even with all the elite recruits coming in.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Someone said that The New DC, Pruitt wasn't high on Sheffield.. and Tony Brown is probably going to move back to Safety due to thin depth chart. It depends on Tony Brown's suspension, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in two months.
Wonder why? From all accounts last year he was progressing nicely and would be the next man up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.