One way to ruin College Football

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The 14 best teams are in the top conference, the next 14 in the second conference, and so on. The only change I made was the five new teams from the Group of Five must start at the bottom because that's just how the Power Five would do things. "You can join us, and you can have access to our money, but you're going to start at the bottom."

Notre Dame is excluded from this because of its previous relationship with the BCS and its partial membership in the ACC. Plus, you know, it's Notre Dame, and that alone has typically been enough to deem the school a Power Five school all along.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...iding-a-college-football-champ-easier-better/

Well, if you don't like college football then you would probably like this new plan. If something this radical were to occur I would want to call it something besides College Football. If they want radical then why not do this: Let Notre Dame and Texas make the rules and then give the rule book to the Big 12 so they can find the WOW factor modifications.

C'mon, does anyone really think College Football would be better if it were like Soccer? One year you are in Div I and then two years later you are in Div III. C'mon.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
English soccer (aka 'foo-ball' as they call it over there) was my first sport back in the 1970s. If you want to turn college football into the world's biggest joke then just do this.

Go back and look at the champions in the 1960s-1970s - seven different teams finished first from 1967-75. Liverpool got somewhat dominant towards the end of the decade.

Then go look at the list of champions from 1993-2011, basically two decades....Arsenal, Man United, and Chelsea won all but one of the titles during that span. It is now so top heavy it's absurd, although Leicester City (who was relegated when I left back in 1978 after a horrific year) winning this year is a refreshing story.

His claim that only eight to ten teams have a shot is absurd. Does he not remember Mississippi State roaring all the way to number one in 2014 across just five weeks? If MSU had won out, they would have made the playoff and unquestionably DESERVED it. Now that there are FOUR playoff spots and not two, we have gone from 'about 30 teams have something of a shot' to 'everyone now has an opportunity if they just play two decent teams.'

If Oregon State went unbeaten and won the Pac 12......they'd be in the playoff. Same with Indiana in the Big Ten.

Also - you're turning a 12-game schedule into a 13-game schedule and guess what? Compare the TV ratings for the top 14 teams with the bottom ones not playing for anything other than promotion. Anything below the Premiere League over there gets pretty much no coverage at all except the teams getting promoted. And rest assured - Vandy will drop the first year and never come back. And then they'll lose all that SEC money they have.

Furthermore, you have Louisville based on a record achieved in the ACC in the top league. Didn't Auburn beat Louisville? Yeah, Louisville blew the game (so I've heard, I didn't see it) but Auburn still beat them. Are we seriously arguing now that Louisville....who lost to a much lower division team.......should be in Conference One? See, this (for the most part) wouldn't happen in the PL, either. Besides - correct me if I'm wrong but pro soccer plays don't have academic responsibilities, do they?

You know, the only idea I can think of dumber than this is an expansion of the playoff. And the only thing slightly less dumber than that would be if the NZAA was ever stupid enough to adopt a four-team playoff determined solely by a biased committee of humans. Fortunately, that will never happen.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I've often liked the idea of having some sort of relegation in college football. However, given the tradition that makes college football what it is, the geography involved, and the high rate of athlete turnover it's all but impossible to fairly implement any sort of large-scale relegation plan.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I saw that on another board. This is stuff football bloggers turn out when they are bored in the offseason.

This is a stupid concept. A team in Division 5 in 2016 could win 60 games in a row starting this year and never even have a shot at a national title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's nonsense. I was fine with the way college football decided its champion all these years even before the 4 team playoff. I tire of these whiny sports writers.
I wouldn't go that far only because there were too many injustices teams couldn't help:

Notre Dame over Alabama in 1966 and 1977
Miami over Auburn in 1983
BYU by any margin in 1984
The 1990 and 1991 split titles
Florida State over Notre Dame in 1993
Penn State getting no shot in 1994

And many years it was only because a team wasn't playing in the designated big game lost that we didn't have even more controversy (why was OU #2 in 1985 over Miami, who not only had the same record but beat OU IN NORMAN by two touchdowns; why didn't Miami play Colorado in 1989 - I know it's because of the bowl invitation time frame but really; and what about 1979, where Alabama only got relief because Ohio State lost to USC in the Rose Bowl after they jumped the Tide for no real reason in November that year).

BCS I had less problem with......although 2001 Nebraska, 2003 OU, and 2008 OU had no business in the title game at all and 2004 Auburn was just as deserving a shot but bore the brunt of 'ranked too low at the start of the season'

Of course, we've all gone over this before and I have NO PROBLEM with a four-team playoff.......but all we had to do was keep the BCS and take the top four regardless. If the SEC gets three teams there, so be it.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
With European soccer increasing in popularity in the United States over the last decade, the idea of adopting soccer's relegation system is nothing new among some college football fans.
I just couldn't get past this point, so I didn't read it all.

all we had to do was keep the BCS and take the top four regardless. If the SEC gets three teams there, so be it.
That would make too much sense.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I've often liked the idea of having some sort of relegation in college football. However, given the tradition that makes college football what it is, the geography involved, and the high rate of athlete turnover it's all but impossible to fairly implement any sort of large-scale relegation plan.
Don't believe relegation would work for college sports. However, MLS and/or NFL would be the place to start it. Throw out all the regional conferences and set up a Premier division for the statistically top teams with another division for the remainder. Have promotion/relegation for up to 2 teams each year and there would be huge interest until the end of the season. Doubt it will ever happen here in the US because it would have to be voted on by the owners and they would never go for not being considered a top team.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Don't believe relegation would work for college sports. However, MLS and/or NFL would be the place to start it. Throw out all the regional conferences and set up a Premier division for the statistically top teams with another division for the remainder. Have promotion/relegation for up to 2 teams each year and there would be huge interest until the end of the season. Doubt it will ever happen here in the US because it would have to be voted on by the owners and they would never go for not being considered a top team.
Agree totally, CHATTBRIT except for the NFL part ;-) Relegation works for English Football (sort of ...) but would be completely nonsensical for most American sports. Like CB says, a lot of it is designed to keep things interesting to the bitter end in a long season for as many teams as possible -- basically as the season ends, they try to make it so that each team has *something* to play for.

In my opinion, the least outside chance for it to work in American major sports might be MLB (long season, early out-of-contention status for a lot of teams who are almost minor league franchises) but they have worked to include more teams in the playoffs, so no it won't happen. It's so foreign no American team/club/franchise would go for it.

Why buy a team, have a bad year and then be told your whole team is going to the minors? Why let the team's play de-value your company? That's simply not the American way. We say we're for competition but business owners really are not for it at that level. I know if I paid hundreds of millions for a team, I wouldn't be. I'm certain that would not sit well with owners, players and fans.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Remember...sports "journalists" don't get paid or keep their jobs unless they come up with something to write. That was just plain stupid!

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I think the NCAA has already done enough to nearly ruin college football. There's always somebody who wants to put their mark on something big, and college football gets an awful lot of attention nationally.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
No matter what college football does to try to please everyone when it comes to crowning its NC..Someone will say this or that would be a better way like the person that wrote this article..We're definitely deep in the bowels of the offseason..LOL

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.