Maurice Smith-Gate; SEC grants waiver to UGA w/ strict guidelines and penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Maurice Smith Transferring

I struggle to believe a guy who hasn't been in trouble (at least from my recollection) and ahead of schedule academically would have had his scholarship pulled.

There is something more to this spat and we'll likely never know the truth of it.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I struggle to believe a guy who hasn't been in trouble (at least from my recollection) and ahead of schedule academically would have had his scholarship pulled.

There is something more to this spat and we'll likely never know the truth of it.
I am wondering since he does not graduate till August, if that would then make em count towards the 85 which is why Alabama would be reticent to let him go at this time

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

USC is one of the schools on his short list, as is an SEC team (UGA) or two I believe. If any school on our schedule (like USC is, or an SEC West school possibly) he won't get cooperation due to being able to pass info on to their offensive coaches.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

USC is one of the schools on his short list, as is an SEC team (UGA) or two I believe. If any school on our schedule (like USC is, or an SEC West school possibly) he won't get cooperation due to being able to pass info on to their offensive coaches.

Then he would be better off waiting until he graduate in August and leave the team after December opposed to now.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Then he would be better off waiting until he graduate in August and leave the team after December opposed to now.
You mean, after his eligibility runs out? He's a senior this year, so unless he knows something that I don't that isn't possible.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

As a graduate, he would be eligible for a graduate transfer if he stretched his graduation out to December. He's basically spiting himself by trying to get out now and Alabama doesn't seem game with letting him jump ship so late in the roster building schedule.

I normally take the side of the player in these things but I think he's making a dumb decision (he can get two years of play by staying and graduate transfer) AND he's hurting the school that put him in position to graduate in the process.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

As a graduate, he would be eligible for a graduate transfer if he stretched his graduation out to December. He's basically spiting himself by trying to get out now and Alabama doesn't seem game with letting him jump ship so late in the roster building schedule.

I normally take the side of the player in these things but I think he's making a dumb decision (he can get two years of play by staying and graduate transfer) AND he's hurting the school that put him in position to graduate in the process.
If he took classes at bama till December that would count against his eligibility so his college career would be done and no reason to transfer.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Thanks for summing it up nicely. This is about where I land. Logic is not playing a part in his decision making process. It seems knee jerk and emotional - though we could all be way off base.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Unless he redshirts this year, 2016 will be his last season.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I don't like to hear that it's playing out like this - but if he's trying to transfer to a school that's on our schedule, thems the grits.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Wouldn't he qualify for a graduate transfer? He was in the class of 2013 correct?
He was. He either redshirts this season to have another year of eligibility at another school as a graduate transfer or plays this year to finish his four years of college football.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Ok good grief it makes sense now. He has not yet graduated, so he won't be a graduate transfer (which would mean he would play immediately elsewhere).

So he is not going to be playing for anyone this fall if he transfers.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Wouldn't he qualify for a graduate transfer? He was in the class of 2013 correct?
He has one year of eligibility remaining. The clock only stops if he is redshirt, which is at the school's discretion.

He CAN'T wait and transfer, he either has to stay and play, go somewhere that the staff okays, or move down a level to play.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

HOOVER — Whether senior defensive back Maurice Smith transfers from Alabama could come down to a longstanding SEC policy restricting inter-conference movement.

Addressing the media for the first time since reports surfaced last month that Smith had requested a release from his scholarship and was seeking to transfer, coach Nick Saban explained the team’s stance, while at the same time making it clear Smith still had a place with the Tide if he changed his mind.

“Maurice Smith has been a good player on our team. He’s a good person, and he would be a significant contributor to our team this year if he decided to stay at Alabama,” Saban said Wednesday during Alabama’s day at SEC Media Days at the Wynfrey Hotel. "And we have told him because we support the SEC rule, it would not be in your best interest to have to sit out. If you want to go someplace else (out of the SEC), we’d be glad to help you do that if you don’t want to continue to be a part of our program.”

Alabama Notes: Transfer of Alabama DB Smith inhibited by SEC bylaw

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Based on that, it sounds like he wanted to go to Georgia to play for Kirby Smart, but can't. His choice are either USC or Miami. If he really want to transfer he would've done so by now and head to Miami or USC for one year. I think in the end, he'll stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.