Maurice Smith-Gate; SEC grants waiver to UGA w/ strict guidelines and penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Re: Maurice Smith Transferring

I may not have all the details, but it seems like Saban may be contradicting himself here with not allowing Smith to Georgia due to the sec rule, when he let another Bama grad student/player go to Missouri earlier this year.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

If you start letting players follow assistant coaches you are opening a real can of worms. On the other hand if he graduated then I see no contractual obligation to the school. Did Kirby let anyone follow Richt to The U? I doubt it! This is a tough spot.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al

I may not have all the details, but it seems like Saban may be contradicting himself here with not allowing Smith to Georgia due to the sec rule, when he let another Bama grad student/player go to Missouri earlier this year.
Thought the same but really what would it hurt Bama? Bama doesn't play GA this year so it wouldn't matter.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

If you start letting players follow assistant coaches you are opening a real can of worms. On the other hand if he graduated then I see no contractual obligation to the school. Did Kirby let anyone follow Richt to The U? I doubt it! This is a tough spot.
I don't know, but one of their own fans said that Kirby did not allow it.

IMO, Bama has already made significant contributions to UGA's program recently😊.

Last edited:

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL

Kirby is being pretty hypocritical. He wouldn't let any of his players transfer to the U with Richt.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/03/19/georgia-bulldogs-kirby-smart-transfers-miami-florida

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I go back and forth with my opinion on this deal. Glad it's not my decision. But it's not good when a player's mother starts criticizing the head coach, especially when she makes sense.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

We shouldn't, and Kirby doesn't either at UGA...Going to say it again. While we do not play them in the regular season, there's a strong possibility that we meet in December. The is NOT in the best interest of The University of Alabama Football.
CNS is doing his job, and doing it at a level that has never been seen before on a level playing field...never. I'm going with Coach on this one...all the way!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I go back and forth with my opinion on this deal. Glad it's not my decision. But it's not good when a player's mother starts criticizing the head coach, especially when she makes sense.
Saban set a bad precedent with Black. He probably should have granted the release to Smith. And then issued a statement to the effect that he was wrong on both, but two wrongs don't make a right, so in the future there will be no releases so don't even ask.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but with the media already espousing both F$U and Clemson in the CFP, I feel compelled to say this because of what I said above. This will not happen with any conference, much less the ACC because of the precedent it would set. If they did it for any of them, then they would have to open it up for the SEC. And that will never happen. That is why we have a CFP!

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

We shouldn't, and Kirby doesn't either at UGA...Going to say it again. While we do not play them in the regular season, there's a strong possibility that we meet in December. The is NOT in the best interest of The University of Alabama Football.
CNS is doing his job, and doing it at a level that has never been seen before on a level playing field...never. I'm going with Coach on this one...all the way!
I totally 100% agree!

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Yep, just let him go. It's not worth the drama or distraction. If it was Auburn, Tennessee or LSU I'd balk.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

So this article makes it seem that Maurice wants to transfer without waiting a year. Why should we allow this?
I'm not saying we should, but NCAA graduate transfer rules allow you to transfer and not sit out a year. Just as Chris Black just did to Missouri.

I've got mixed feelings on this, but it's not making me lose any sleep so...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Saban set a bad precedent with Black. He probably should have granted the release to Smith. And then issued a statement to the effect that he was wrong on both, but two wrongs don't make a right, so in the future there will be no releases so don't even ask.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but with the media already espousing both F$U and Clemson in the CFP, I feel compelled to say this because of what I said above. This will not happen with any conference, much less the ACC because of the precedent it would set. If they did it for any of them, then they would have to open it up for the SEC. And that will never happen. That is why we have a CFP!
Black left in the spring, Smith waits until a month before the season. We may could have used that scholarship had it been earlier.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

There's a big difference some of you are missing by comparing Maurice Smith and the Chris Black situation. Smith is trying to follow a former assistant coach. Black wasn't following anyone just wanted a fresh start. Saban can't let players follow assistant coaches. If he did we would have multiple players trying to follow coaches every year..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

There's a big difference some of you are missing by comparing Maurice Smith and the Chris Black situation. Smith is trying to follow a former assistant coach. Black wasn't following anyone just wanted a fresh start. Saban can't let players follow assistant coaches. If he did we would have multiple players trying to follow coaches every year..
Agree 100%

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

He's already graduated, correct? If so, then mission accomplished. The goal as a coach was to graduate the player.(I know, I know, but it should be the aim of the player to get his degree) If he wants to pursue one more year of football at Georgia so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.