Maurice Smith-Gate; SEC grants waiver to UGA w/ strict guidelines and penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Maurice Smith Transferring

He's already graduated, correct? If so, then mission accomplished. The goal as a coach was to graduate the player.(I know, I know, but it should be the aim of the player to get his degree) If he wants to pursue one more year of football at Georgia so be it.
Graduated or not, IMO, you can't let a player follow an assistant coach to any school. Like I previously stated it would create multiple players trying to transfer to follow coaches every year. Whenever Kiffin takes a HC job there'll be numerous players who would follow him if we allow that practice..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Another point missed in this whole discussion is Maurice Smith was clear and free to transfer to Miami. It's not like Alabama isn't letting him transfer. Alabama is protecting itself from creating a systemic issue of players following coaches..

Another point missed in this whole discussion is Maurice Smith was clear and free to transfer to Miami. It's not like Alabama isn't letting him transfer. Alabama is protecting itself from creating a systemic issue of players following coaches..
Ok, now that I am up to speed with all of this I agree. If you let this happen then it opens doors for a lot of other things to happen as well. This is why you should commit to a university and not a coach.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

There's a big difference some of you are missing by comparing Maurice Smith and the Chris Black situation. Smith is trying to follow a former assistant coach. Black wasn't following anyone just wanted a fresh start. Saban can't let players follow assistant coaches. If he did we would have multiple players trying to follow coaches every year..
That seems like a double edged sword...when we hire a new coach from another school he might have a few players he would want to bring with him. My point is, it's easy to imagine we don't want players leaving to follow a former coach to their new school, but there is another side to the coin.
I guess with the way we recruit, we are not as interested in getting players who follow a coach we just hired. I also understand whether a newly hired coach would have a few players follow him to Bama would be decided by the old coach, and not decided by Bama, no matter what our policy is.

The contradiction that stays with me is...if you have a player who wants to transfer, and instead force him to stay, it's hard to imagine he would give maximum effort playing for the team he wanted to leave.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Just so everyone knows, there is a huge difference in the situation with Chris Black v Mo Smith and how the SEC rule is written. The SEC rule states the athlete must be enrolled in the target school for two enrollment periods before being eligible to play. Black left UA after fall, and enrolled in UM for the spring and summer sessions, so he is eligible in the fall. Since Mo just graduated, and is trying to transfer NOW, there is no way for him to meet the requirement to enroll at the target school for two enrollment periods and start to play in a month. If Mo were to transfer to UGA now, he couldn't play till the fall of 17. Saban went on record with this during the media days and that he'd help him get to a non-SEC school so I don't know why the Smith family is still going down this path...

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Am I missing something here? Wasn't Kirby Smart blocking transfers to Miami? There's a reason you don't let players follow a coach elsewhere, Kirby did it, Saban does it, it's just good policy. That aside, there are also within conference transfer rules as well, also for good reason. I'm confused as to why anyone thought this would work, especially considering Kirby was the one blocking transfers earlier.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This thing is getting out of hand...

https://www.dawgnation.com/football...a-had-belongings-thrown-in-trash#.V6I47WQoW0d

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I have a very difficult time believing this.

Someone from UA intentionally threw away a memorial for Altee from his locker? Give me a break.

He felt ostracized because UA told him he couldn't work out at the facility after he said he wanted to go elsewhere? How many of you want to let an ex hang out after she/he says she/he wants out?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Meh. Seth Emerson writes for the AJC. That should blow his credibility out of the water right there. Just another whiney piece from the UGA rag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

That seems like a double edged sword...when we hire a new coach from another school he might have a few players he would want to bring with him. My point is, it's easy to imagine we don't want players leaving to follow a former coach to their new school, but there is another side to the coin.
I guess with the way we recruit, we are not as interested in getting players who follow a coach we just hired. I also understand whether a newly hired coach would have a few players follow him to Bama would be decided by the old coach, and not decided by Bama, no matter what our policy is.

The contradiction that stays with me is...if you have a player who wants to transfer, and instead force him to stay, it's hard to imagine he would give maximum effort playing for the team he wanted to leave.
Alabama isn't forcing Maurice Smith to stay at Alabama. They just aren't letting him transfer to UGA. Saban had everything set up for Smith to transfer to Miami (that was Smith's first choice) then Smith had a change of heart and wants to go to UGA. The media will frame this as Alabama is not letting a player transfer but the reality is Alabama is not letting a player transfer to a school where a former Alabama assistant is now the head coach..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I have a very difficult time believing this.

Someone from UA intentionally threw away a memorial for Altee from his locker? Give me a break.

He felt ostracized because UA told him he couldn't work out at the facility after he said he wanted to go elsewhere? How many of you want to let an ex hang out after she/he says she/he wants out?
no kidding - last time I resigned from a company, my laptop was remotely locked within hours. Once someone announces the intention to leave, that's it.

What I don't think was highlighted enough in the article, was that even though he was wanting to transfer, Saban still renewed his scholly, giving him a spot if Mo wanted it AND Saban was fine with him going to Miami.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Imagine quitting your job but expecting to be able to use the company facilities until you started your new job...

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

The AJC and others have reported this in a way that makes Bama and specifically Saban look like villain. It is what it is,haters are going to feed right into this bologna and that is there right. The kid can go anywhere he wants to except UGA for obvious reasons and Saban is doing nothing any other coach would not do it is as simple as that. I will be so glad when practice starts so junk like this will be on the backburner.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

After everything Saban did for Kirby and his career the least Kirby could have done is squashed this from the beginning. Kirby should have told Maurice from the beginning that Saban wouldn't allow this and it would be better for everyone if Maurice just transferred to Miami or anywhere else besides UGA. Would have saved everyone involved a lot of headache..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Imagine quitting your job but expecting to be able to use the company facilities until you started your new job...

I was just thinking of this too. Nowadays, a lot of companies don't even want you to work the 2 weeks. They just let you go with the two week pay. Trying to protect themselves and I understand.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

After he graduates he can go to UGA without Coach Sabans permission and play next year. We were counting on him to help us this year,so why would we encourage him to help one of our Eastern rivals this year.
Coach Saban is dealing with it as he should. The school has paid for his education. Helped him become a starter on a team with a great chance to compete in the playoffs this year. Kirby is the ..... in all this by not encouraging the young man to play here and see about the NFL rather than trying to poach one of our starters.
Oh well, it is what it is. Gives the media something to talk about for a few more weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.