Maurice Smith-Gate; SEC grants waiver to UGA w/ strict guidelines and penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
Re: Maurice Smith Transferring

I thought he was in position to start at nickel or star maybe. Surprising to see this.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I thought younger talent had either passed him by or were about to pass him by. Most players want more time than getting to play in a Home Coming blow out. In a lot of cases guys discover younger guys who are bigger, stronger, or faster, then see the handwriting on the wall.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Will he transfer to a Texas school, maybe UH, Texas, etc. Isn't he from the Fort Bend County area (southwest Houston)?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I'm just assuming here ... but thinking it may be due to him possibly wanting to transfer to another SEC school. Again, could be 100% wrong since we've granted transfers to other SEC schools before. It is interesting nonetheless. Hope it all works out for both parties.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Wait.. he received permission to speak to other schools. Who grants that permission? If UA, or Coach Saban, why are they now being uncooperative in granting his release?

This is petty, IMO. Unless he wants to go to Auburn or something like that.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I wonder if the non-cooperation is to try to force him to stay at Bama another season- if he wants to continue to play -or if they just want to have a say in where he transfers to.

Maybe option one above is not how things are done...I'm not that familiar with transfer rules...but I can't imagine not cooperating with a player who wants to transfer, and then expecting him to be a properly motivated team member. It seems more likely they are trying to steer him away from specific schools, but then somehow that doesn't really seem right either.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I just don't see how that works out well if he wants to move on. But, I guess we'll see.
Years ago, when the draft was ended, the military argued that a soldier who volunteered made a better soldier than one who was drafted. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it seems similar to me.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

To be honest, if he is graduating in August then he should tough it out and graduate transfer in January. Seems like there are hurt feelings more than logic going on with this deal. Also is he trying to graduate in August and graduate transfer before this season?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

To be honest, if he is graduating in August then he should tough it out and graduate transfer in January. Seems like there are hurt feelings more than logic going on with this deal. Also is he trying to graduate in August and graduate transfer before this season?
I believe someone said it is possible he is no longer on scholly so it could be about $, but the us being uncooperative about a transfer would not make a lot of sense if this was the case..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.