Maurice Smith-Gate; SEC grants waiver to UGA w/ strict guidelines and penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Well, this is the second db to transfer. If this keeps up depth will certainly suffer. Really don't understand this one.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Re: Maurice Smith Transferring

I do. They are getting jumped by the i sane talent at DB.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I didn't see this one coming. I thought he was going to contribute a good bit this year. Good luck to you Maurice.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

Well, this is the second db to transfer. If this keeps up depth will certainly suffer. Really don't understand this one.
Why not? Unless he made a huge jump, was going to be hard for him to see valuable minutes, nothing against Maurice. I'm sure he'll do well wherever he goes

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Not much safety Depth and Maurice would have played a lot of nickel and dime..... Can't lose many more db's

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I'm not sure if he has pro ball potential, I don't follow things that closely. If he hopes for more playing time to boost his chances that's easy to understand, although if he just wants to spend more time on the field as a player, but thinks his chances are better somewhere else I guess that makes sense.
If I was in that situation, I might want to stick around and try for another national championship ring to go with the one he already has. Plus it would be another season spent with the friends he's made on the Bama team.
Other factors could have figured in on his decision too, so I wish him well and thanks for the effort he put into the Bama program.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

If Fitzpatrick stays healthy he is the man. I just wonder if it's gonna click for Tony Brown. I think this is the year he needs to get it all together. He is too physically gifted to waste all that talent.
Coach Saban is not the type to bend to the whims of immature players.

I wish the best for Maurice. He's learned a great deal under Coach Saban. Maybe he feels he needs a full time 1st string position to have a chance at that NFL dream. Good luck and best wishes.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Maurice will be a graduate transfer.
Thanks for the post. I am glad to hear it. With potentially 125 signings for 85 spots, it's inevitable that guys are going to have to transfer, but it's great to see a guy contribute to the team, get a ring, earn his degree, and then move to a program where he can play his senior year. This is how it is supposed to be done.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks for the post. I am glad to hear it. With potentially 125 signings for 85 spots, it's inevitable that guys are going to have to transfer, but it's great to see a guy contribute to the team, get a ring, earn his degree, and then move to a program where he can play his senior year. This is how it is supposed to be done.
Most HCs, when queried, don't seem to be crazy about the transfer rule. While there are some transfers which I'm sure lead to a sign of relief - I'm not classifying Smith either way - more often, the senior transfer is a guy who's learned the system, and, having played enough to still be around after four years, is valuable as an emergency reserve, or on ST, at least. Most coaches come out with a "good luck" farewell message, but there's usually gritted teeth behind it...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Mo Smith would have contributed a lot this year, both on defense and special teams. Losing his experience hurts. Best of luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.