Status
Not open for further replies.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Re: Maurice Smith Transferring

Just so everyone knows, there is a huge difference in the situation with Chris Black v Mo Smith and how the SEC rule is written. The SEC rule states the athlete must be enrolled in the target school for two enrollment periods before being eligible to play. Black left UA after fall, and enrolled in UM for the spring and summer sessions, so he is eligible in the fall. Since Mo just graduated, and is trying to transfer NOW, there is no way for him to meet the requirement to enroll at the target school for two enrollment periods and start to play in a month. If Mo were to transfer to UGA now, he couldn't play till the fall of 17. Saban went on record with this during the media days and that he'd help him get to a non-SEC school so I don't know why the Smith family is still going down this path...
If this is correct, why not let him go? Could there be that much changed defensive strategy from the spring (since Kirby left) that could hurts us? He transfers to UGA, can't play until '17, and the SEC is the bad guy...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

If Maurice Smith knows that there would be a scholarship available for him at UGA, how would he have gotten that information?

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

I would have to think this has to do more with personality conflicts or something along those lines vs playing time. I assumed he is in line to play a good bit. Hard to imagine he could transfer to uga this late in the game and earn much more time than he would here.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

What I've gathered - and this isn't scripture - is that there is some kind of rift between a member of the staff or team and Maurice Smith. This isn't about playing time, this isn't about "being done wrong" (well up to the point where he got his release denied)...this is about some interpersonal conflict where he isn't budging on not wanting to be here.

At a certain point, it isn't worth the bad PR anymore because this is a ready-made "poor, ol' vulnerable exploited student-athlete v. big bad university" headline no matter what nuance is going on behind the scenes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

At a certain point, it isn't worth the bad PR anymore because this is a ready-made "poor, ol' vulnerable exploited student-athlete v. big bad university" headline no matter what nuance is going on behind the scenes.
His mom in particular seems to be trying to play up the notion of his being the victim to take advantage of the bad PR. You can't set this precedent though. To reiterate, Kirby Smart, the head coach of Georgia blocked transfers as well! This is a common thing, he even ironically enough blocked transfers outside of the conference, to Miami! This is the very place that Saban already cleared Smith going to, Smith is just trying to strongarm Saban (sadly enough with complicit involvement from Smart it would appear, despite Smart's own policy against transfers under similar conditions) which is that you can and perhaps should block transfers under certain circumstances. You don't say oh well he's trying to make us look bad so he gets what he wants, you can't do that because the implications go far beyond this one instance.

The biggest key here though, to reiterate is that Maurice Smith is trying to force Nick Saban into letting him follow a coach elsewhere, yet the coach he's trying to follow doesn't let players follow other coaches! In a way Saban is doing Kirby Smart the favor of not looking like a complete hypocrite by blocking the transfer. People here stood up for Kirby to, when he blocked transfers, yet now Alabama is the bad guy for doing the same thing?

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

The only reason this is a big deal is because it's Alabama/Nick Saban, and the media has to do something to stir up hits since there's only so many bogus preseason prediction articles you can write.

I swear, the media is so biased against Saban that it's beyond ridiculous. Everything he does is picked apart and criticized whether it's common proactive or not. Whether it's the greyshirt fiasco, the Saban rule from a few years ago, now blocking a transfer. People hate him, the media wants to feed the hatred because it's good for business. There is literally no reason why this should even be news, and now it's national drama when we should be focusing on USC and USC only.

There's also no way to win here. If coach relents he opens a brand new precedent for any player who wants to abuse the transfer policies. If he stays firm, he'll be vilified to a ridiculous extent. I hate this kind of unnecessary crap. Especially when you have parents raising Cain about a policy that is standard procedure literally anywhere else in the country.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I really wish somebody Smith trusted would tell him to cool it, settle down and play the year at Bama. It is surely his straightest path to the NFL. Wouldn't he start in Bama's nickle package?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

He has 114 FBS schools to choose from that aren't in the SEC. Pick one. Saban might block USC as well but that still gives him plenty of places he can go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

If this is correct, why not let him go? Could there be that much changed defensive strategy from the spring (since Kirby left) that could hurts us? He transfers to UGA, can't play until '17, and the SEC is the bad guy...
Likely Saban's opinion that sitting a year isn't what's best for Mo. If Mo can't play in 2016, he's going to get no reps in practice and be relegated to scout team till 2017 which likely hinders his long term development and NFL potential. Go somewhere he can play this fall, start and get a shot at the NFL sounds like a better plan.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

As has been said Smart is a real bad guy in this. He knows he is creating bad publicity for Bama and he is doing it purposefully.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

Likely Saban's opinion that sitting a year isn't what's best for Mo. If Mo can't play in 2016, he's going to get no reps in practice and be relegated to scout team till 2017 which likely hinders his long term development and NFL potential. Go somewhere he can play this fall, start and get a shot at the NFL sounds like a better plan.
CNS has laid all of that out for him, but you know what?...you can't fix stupid...it's his life, his career, and no one outside of the Bama world cares about CNS trying to look out for him--even his own mother doesn't. Ultimately, it is Coach Saban's decision...some comments by MS in a reputable media would be nice...

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

who's the guy on the far right? He's a DB?
That is exactly what I was about to ask!!! Comparing him to Minkah, looks like he is about 6' 3" or 6' 4" so I'd guess he goes about 220-ish?

Can anyone name each player in the pic? That would be much more interesting than the rest of this thread!

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL

who's the guy on the far right? He's a DB?
I saw this pic on Robby Green's Instagram and you're right. This pic is from about a week and half or two weeks ago, so sounds like the Smith family and AJC are working together to trash Bama and Saban, which is not surprising from the AJC. The guy on the far right with the dreads is a DB from another school, can't remember where though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.